PDA

View Full Version : Installation for the Dash stuff

ameetw
04/07/2005, 01:15 AM
Hi, I just found out that you can change the brightness of your dashboard lights.
Question is if I can get the knob from some where, is it hard to do it up???
Question 2 the Japanese Vx has no Cruise control. Can I take one out from the US Model and fix it in my Vx???

Thanks in advance.

Ameet

mbeach
04/07/2005, 10:36 AM
Cruise control is a very intricate assembly requiring connection to many different sub-assemblies (vacuum, brakes, throttle, transmission, etc.) under the hood. You are better off looking for an aftermarket cruise control unit and fitting it to the VX.

There should be a knob located on your knee bolster for dimming the dashlights. You do not have this?

ameetw
04/07/2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I think you are right. Forget about the Cruise Control. Looks like on the Japanese Vx there is no knob.

Is the knob similar to any of the other troopers?
From what I see, I can put a variable resistor about 10K there and modify the wiring. Is it possible????

Thanks
Ameet

MZ-N10
04/07/2005, 05:06 PM
i dont see why it wouldnt be possible, but ull need to find the power to all of the dash, after u find it everything else IMO should be pretty straight forward...on the flip side is it really worth ripping apart ur dash to find the wire, so u can adjust the brightness?
________
DevilEyes (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/DevilEyes)

ameetw
04/12/2005, 12:19 AM
Actually looking at it, you guys are right, but it is nice to know that when you read the manual you have the unit. It's always nicer to have more than less in the Vx.
I'll be doing the popper stuff soon so I figured I would do the dash lights at the same time.
Anyone seen the dimming unit and how many wires runs from the unit. I say a Toyota Dimmer switch which has 5 inputs. Don't know if it would work. The only scary thing is that if the bulb from the switches burn, it's hard to get replacement.
The bulbs are so tiny.... it's also hard to get them out fron the switch.

Ameet

Moncha
04/12/2005, 06:31 AM
The one thing that I found while working with the dash lights while doing my switch install is the dimmer works by varying the ground.. Be sure befor you start cutting wires that you are working on the right circuit. I can say you aren't going to find the bulbs separately through Isuzu, they sell the whole switch or nothing.. I'm still trying to find the right little covers for them so I can color code my switches.

Raque Thomas
04/12/2005, 07:08 AM
The one thing that I found while working with the dash lights while doing my switch install is the dimmer works by varying the ground.. Be sure befor you start cutting wires that you are working on the right circuit. I can say you aren't going to find the bulbs separately through Isuzu, they sell the whole switch or nothing.. I'm still trying to find the right little covers for them so I can color code my switches.

Scott,
The dealer here in Louisville has the lights for the switches (in stock the last time I needed one). They are mounted in the little holder that twists out of the back of the switch & are kind of pricey at ~$7, but cheaper than a switch. Let me know if you need one (some?), and I'll pick them up for you. As far as the bulb condoms, if you can't find them, you can go to a craft store and buy glass dye (used for making stained glass). It comes in a variety of colors, and you just dab it on the bulb with a paint brush. Some colors show up better than others, and may be hard to get consistent. I found this out with blue - sometimes it turns out white if you don't put enough on. Never had this problem with yellow or red, though. Just my $.02