View Full Version : About to buy????

Falconpilot
04/06/2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Folks -

Need a little help. I have always wanted a VX and today is my chance. It is an Ebony 1999, 40,800 miles, for $12,900 from a dealer (I know it is a little above book value, but that is okay). Does anyone have any suggestions what to look for mechanically, if it otherwise looks like a fair deal. Test drove this morning everything worked great. I have 3 hours to sign the dotted line -- HELP :confused: !

MZ-N10
04/06/2005, 12:14 PM
Hi Folks -

Need a little help. I have always wanted a VX and today is my chance. It is an Ebony 1999, 40,800 miles, for $12,900 from a dealer (I know it is a little above book value, but that is okay). Does anyone have any suggestions what to look for mechanically, if it otherwise looks like a fair deal. Test drove this morning everything worked great. I have 3 hours to sign the dotted line -- HELP :confused: !

since none of the really knowledgable vxers replied yet ill try to help, from wat ive read on here, there are no symptoms to teh engine problem, so i would just quick mechanical check, no leaks, etc. also most dealers have print u out a carfax report, atleast the dealer i bought mine from did. a common problem among the vxs r teh windows and the headlights. the windows r sluggish or they dont go up at all. the rubber gasket on teh headlights usually fall off, so make sure those things r in working order.
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Falconpilot
04/06/2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I am pacing back and forth here trying to figure out what to do. Your info certainly helps.

Raque Thomas
04/06/2005, 12:24 PM
Hi Folks -

I have 3 hours to sign the dotted line -- HELP :confused: !

That statement throws up a red flag - IF it is a deadline from the dealership. Don't be pressured into buying, right now there are plenty of VX's for sale. While that doesn't sound like a bad price, it's certainly not a great price so don't bow to their pressure. The best response to dealer pressure is to walk away - trust me, they will come after you and make a better deal. If they tell you they have another buyer and that's the reason for the rush-rush, I'd still walk. They don't have another buyer, because if they did, they couldn't sell it to you. They may very well have someone else INTERESTED, but that's not a buyer - it's a PROSPECT. The first rule of buying a car is don't be pressured by the saleperson - he's the one that needs to feel pressured. You're a qualified buyer, and he is one of many people who have a product you might want to buy - make him work for it!

Now, all that said - go buy it if you want it! It's an emotional thing, and if you want it, you're going to do it. No amount of logic can intervene! :p

Seriously, make sure the vehicle is OK and then do what you feel you should. The VX has a few specfic issues, but none that are much more than minor irritations. You need to look for the same thing you'd look for in any used car purchase - history (svc records), talk to previous owner, look for paint work, take to your mechanic for a check over. Check the oil, the tires, the accessories, etc.

Moncha
04/06/2005, 12:25 PM
Make sure to do the "Standard used car" checkup.. Can you take to to a mechanich and have it checked out?

The price, IMHO isn't too bad seeing that I paid over 30k for mine new.

The biggest thing is to go with your gut, if feels right. I'm not sure why you HAVE to only 3 hours to buy but, if they are pressuring you to buy,, that would be a red flag.

Goog luck!

Falconpilot
04/06/2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input!. I should have began by saying that the deadline is due to the fact that I am a pilot on a layover, and I leave tomorrow-before the dealership opens. It's a sweet ride, and I'm afraid it will be gone If I don't jump on it Today, as I won't be back here for three weeks. I totally agree with the emotional aspect of the purchase- I've been trying to find a way to talk myself out of it all day-It Ain't workin!! I love these things.

kpaske
04/06/2005, 03:48 PM
If you notice the windows don't work as well as you like, or the headlight gasket is peeling off or missing, you can certainly use those as negotiating points - it's unlikely that the dealer knows they are common problems. Another one on the 1999 models is peeling chrome rims. I'd also carefully look over the intake manifold gasket as that is another common point of failure for some reason. Has the VX been lifted? Even if it hasn't, look at the CV boots for tears or signs of leakage. While they *are* owner-servicable for about $20 each in many cases, to the dealer that's a $700+ repair - another good point for negotiating.

By giving yourself only 3 hours to make a decision, you've really taken away much of your edge when it comes to negotiating - especially if the dealer knows that or can sense your urgency. Your smartest move, unless the dealer really offers you a great deal, is to take your chances and come back in three weeks. There's a good chance he won't have sold it, and at that point will really be willing to negotiate. And as others have pointed out, there are a lot of VX's out there for sale, so it's really a buyer's market.

You should also consider that the Ebony is a common color, and that the 2000 has an upgraded climate control system, comes in the Grey/Black interior, and has the 18" rims. If any of those things interest you, I would hold out for the 2000 or 2001. And if you really want the red/black interior and can only find a 2000 or 2001 with grey/black, I'd be interested in doing a swap with you.

I hope the input helps. Good luck!

Heraclid
04/06/2005, 05:56 PM
A quick correction - peeling chrome rims is not a problem on the '99 models, but it is fairly common on the '00's and '01's.

The strap for holding the rear seats up when folded is too short on some 99's. Not a reason to avoid a '99 as it is easily fixed. The 2000-01 models have updated climate control and 18" wheels instead of 16". And it's probably nothing, but I've noticed engine failure has occurred in 99's and 01's but I can't recall it happening to a 2000.

If you're set on a certain exterior/interior color scheme...

Astral silver only comes in red/black
Kaiser silver comes in grey/black and (much more rarely) red/black
Proton only comes in grey/black
Foxfire only comes in grey/black
Dragon only comes in grey black
Ebony comes in grey/black or red/black
Ironman only comes in red/black

Don't be hasty. Three weeks is no big deal. Lots (a relative term for us, but still) of these should be coming on the market as warranties begin to expire. Careful now means much happier later.