PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple in my Tranny

jimbo
04/06/2005, 08:54 AM
I've been driving around with a partial case of Royal Purple ATF fluid sliding around in the back of my VX for over 2 months now. I've read posts here and some folks have used it and even said they noticed smoother shifts after putting it in. So I bought some.

My VX has 18,000 miles.

I went to the closest Isuzu dealer (my usual mechanic, who I trust, didn't seem to have the right equipment to do this) and they (the dealer) wouldn't do it. Said it wasn't a recommended fluid (?) and that I didn't need it done. They are mostly a Dodge dealer and to be honest I've never even seen an Isuzu in their service section, or on their lot, although they are supposed to be an Isuzu dealer. We have a better dealer around but they are much further away.

Anyways I got scared off and put it off.

Also back then, when calling transmission repair places, I got different advice regarding whether it needs to be flushed or not. Apparently not all places can do the flush (most didn't quote that way), or want to do the flush. I don't think most guys that answer the phone even get why I would care to change it, or put a certain fluid in.

My questions are : Is the right way to do this to have the tranny flushed? and I don't want to do this myself so what would be a good way to find the most qualified place to do it - what questions should I ask? I get the feeling the Isuzu dealers around me aren't really Isuzu dealers, just other dealers (like Dodge or Chevy) that happen to handle Isuzu. IT's hard to find someone to trust.

Also is there any problem with putting the Royal Purple ATF in? Why do you think the dealer gave me such a hard time? They were like "If we put this in we can't be responsible for the damage it might do".

Thanks

biju
04/06/2005, 09:12 AM
I recently purchased all royal purple fluids for my vx's 30k service:

Max ATF
Max Gear
Max EZ
Oil (10W30)
Purple Ice

The appointment to get all the fluids flushed and/or replaced w/ RP is on the 15th. My local Isuzu mechanic seemed to think it was a great idea to replace all fluids with synthetics. Although, he did mention that the MAX ATF wasn't the factory recommended 'dexron III' - he seemed to still agree that the MAX ATF would probably be a better way to go. (granted I'm out of factory warranty, and now using my extended warranty).

I know people will reply w/ plugs for Mobil 1, or AMSOIL - which I'm sure are really good/great fluids. I'm just as confident in RP.

jimbo
04/06/2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Biju - Yeah I replaced the axel oil and engine oil with royal purple already. I'd just like to get the tranny done, but like I said - the dealer put doubts in my mind. I thought the RP ATF was Dextron III, or maybe it was Dextron III compatable.

See, I'm finding it a little confusing.

Also not sure about the flushing. Some places want to just drain and fill, but I'm not sure that will replace all the old fluid, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure it won't.

joe-yamma
04/06/2005, 01:40 PM
My dealer swapped out the axles (gear) and transfer case (ATF) with Amsoil (that I provided) for me when I did the 30k service, no problem.

When I got my tranny done awhile back, they dropped the pan and replaced the gasket and then flushed and filled with the Amsoil ATF that I provided.

Whatever brand, syn is better than regular and most any decent mechanic will tell you that.

Heraclid
04/06/2005, 05:17 PM
Offhand, I believe the interval for tranny fluid replacement is about every 25,000 miles. Your manual should say. More often can't hurt and I think Tone once said he does it every 15,000. I did the differentials myself with Royal Purple and have no complaints. Like you, I wanted to go with it in the transmission as well. I offered to supply the fluid but the place I used said that the machine they had was set up on Mobil so I reluctantly told 'em go ahead. Really wanted to run Royal Purple there too but since it is a very reputable shop around here I gave in rather than take my chances elsewhere. I had them drain, flush and refill, and had the filter replaced. Make sure that the filter you get comes with gasket made of something other than cork. A simple drain and fill doesn't replace all of the fluid or force as many contaminants out.

biju
04/08/2005, 06:38 AM
Jimbo,

RP MAX ATF isn't Dexron III, (granted) as only Dexron III is, well, Dexron III. I had the same questions/doubts when researching as to the compatibility...

According to RP: "Max ATF® is recommended for all applications where Ford MERCON»® / GM DEXRON® III transmissions fluids are specified."

I'm comfortable using MAX ATF in place of Dexron III for my tranny, and so is my mechanic. I'm sure there's more than a few people here that have used MAX ATF, (or another synthetic brand), in place of Dexron...

On another note... Dexron III is the fluid used in our powersteering. I'll probably start another thread where I could use some clarification on if I can get away with using RP's 'MAX EZ' power steering fluid.... So, I guess I have a similar concern, just different part of the VX...

jimbo
04/08/2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Biju- Well, that clears up why the mechanic at the dealer had an issue with the Royal Purple. He probably had to follow certain "rules" layed down by his bosses. Which doesn't mean Synthetic is bad, surely it's better. But ... I guess it might affect the warrantee though.

Do you know if putting non-dexron III in voids the warrantee? I think my power-train warrantee is still good til this October. Maybe I'd better wait.

Also: I'm assuming flushing is the way to go if switching to synthetic. Is this true? (pretty obvious I guess)

Joe_Black
04/08/2005, 07:48 AM
As long as whatever product you're using meets the manufacturer specifications (API/SAE etc.) then they can't void your warranty unless they SPECIFICALLY mention certain products, which they can't of course as that get's them into anti-trust legal territory.

Everyone knows I'm a big Mobil-1 nut but keep in mind that there are only two true synthetics currently available: Mobil-1 and Amsoil. Since there's no regulatory requirements for the sale of synthetic or synthetic blend lubricants, the marketers can make all the claims they want as long as there's at least something like 1 part-per-million of synthetic material in the product. Food for thought. Mobil-1 (and Amsoil to a lesser degree) has an impressive and proven track record since 1975 (XRN 1669 - SAE Paper 750376) in aerospace, marine, professional racing, industrial, commercial, agricultural and extreme enviroments. Royal Purple just has a website and colorful adverts. But hey, if it makes ya feel good... ;)

jimbo
04/08/2005, 08:35 AM
I know, I know but don't confuse me with the facts ;)

Well, I got the royal purple already, and it aint cheap! Guess they got to pay for that website.

Tone
04/11/2005, 04:22 PM
Amsoil and Mobile 1 are NOT the only synthetics that start with sythetic bases. I spoke with a number of companies at SEMA and they are closing the gap or surpassing those who started this trend.

An email to me from Royal Purple Engineering: "Royal Purple combines the highest quality synthetic base oils with its synthetic, proprietary SYNERLEC additive technology. Amsoil and Mobil 1 both start out with the same base oils as we do, these base oils are call PAO's (polyalphaolephins). The additive packages make the difference."

jimbo
04/11/2005, 06:15 PM
It seems to me that this whole "true" synthetic argument misses the point. What exactly is a "true" synthetic? Is Mobil 1 somehow more pure? Isn't the final result, the most advanced technology and best protection for your engine, the thing that matters? Royal Purple seems to be dedicated to staying on the cutting edge of lubricant technology. It's the proprietary additives that make the difference in Royal Purple's case , right?

I'm glad for your post Tone, makes me feel a little better about deciding to use Royal Purple products in my VX.

Now I just have to find someone I trust to do the flush. My mechanic can't do it and I didn't like my last experience at the local Isuzu dealer.

Joe_Black
04/11/2005, 06:17 PM
No worries Tone! I know the hype keeps getting better and better from these wanna-be's, but the proof is in the field. ;) When they show up being used by people whose lives are on the line and the longevity of the equipment makes the corporation's bottom line, then I'll take a second look. I know they'll be there one day, but that isn't today and I personally can't afford to take a chance when there's a clear-cut leader. Each and every Isuzu and other vehicle I've owned since 1986 has gotten 100% Mobil-1 and all the Isuzus (a total of 7 so far) have given me well beyond 150,000 miles of trouble-free service, with the exception of the Dragon currently at 30K and the IronMan at 115K. So that's my experience first-hand, and I share what I've learned from other proven sources. I'm not saying Royal Purple or other "synthetics" are bad, just that there are better choices with one heckuva lead in the industry. And that lead is what will make others try harder to make an even better product to garner greater market share. That's what innovation and business is all about, and we as consumers ultimately benefit from it. :thumbup: So remember, as the market isn't regulated at all, they can say they use the same base stocks and have super wonderful additives all day long. That's hype. When some guy working sub-zero weather on a piece of million-dollar equipment that's running shifts 24 hours a day starts using it, then that gets my attention.

mbeach
04/11/2005, 08:45 PM
I used Royal Purple oils for a couple of years.
I switched over from Redline and Neo synthetics for a few reasons. One was price/availability, also Redline was specifically mentioned to be damaging to the center diff of the Subaru AWD system.
The Royal Purple did a great job of quieting a noisy gearbox and keeping my LSDs in working order (actually I think that it tightened them up a bit).
In the engine, it seemed that there was no difference whatsoever between my old Mobil 1 and the new Royal Purple. So I used the purple in the gearbox(es) and Mobile 1 in the engine. It's easier to pick up a quart of Mobil 1 than it is to find a quart of RP/Neo/Redline when you're running low.

A few weeks ago, following a service tech's advice, I changed the engine oil over to Mobil 1 (0W30). I've put on @1000 miles since then. My engine is quieter now, and runs a little cooler. Most importantly, my fuel economy has improved dramatically. My last tank (@85-90% highway at 70+mph) worked out to an astounding 18.7 mpg.

Royal Purple is good stuff, but for the sake of cost/availability/recent performance I'm going fully over to Mobil 1.