PDA

View Full Version : suspension; softer spring advice wanted.

PeteVX
04/05/2005, 09:19 AM
OK, dont give me a hard time but i want softer springs for my ride. I allready have ranchos but i still spill my coffee every time i hit a manhole cover and i'm not getting any younger, please dont tell me i should have bought something else because i love my VX dearly, i'd just love it a lot more with a plusher ride :)

Does anyone have any advice on softer springs? or what the spring rate and sizes are of the stock units?

I'm willing to be the guinea pig on testing if i can find somewhere to start.

mbeach
04/05/2005, 10:56 AM
I cut my rear bumpstops and the ride improved dramatically. Just chop off the bottom 2" or so (the first 'cell' will do). As long as your not running big tires or taking it off any sweet jumps you shouldn't have a problem with body clearance.

SilverBullet75
04/05/2005, 11:46 AM
I too have had the thought of a softer ride and went with the adjustable Ranchos... helped a bit, but not enough. My Fiance has a Ford Escape (granted MUCH lighter, etc) and it has a very cozy ride. How about changing out the springs with a Ford Explorer, etc...?? I changed out my old Ford Festiva's springs with Porsche 914 185lb racing springs and it turned it into an autocross car's ride!

PeteVX
04/06/2005, 06:25 AM
Good to know about the bomp stops MB, will take a look at that tonight, are they just on the rears or do the fronts have them too?

Pete

mbeach
04/06/2005, 01:33 PM
The front bumpstops are merely pimples compared to the rears. The rear stops are about 5.5" long and (on my 4x,xxx mile example) only 1.25" off of the axle when at rest. By chopping them down (can be done on the vehicle, but easier and neater to unbolt them), I gained an extra 2" of axle travel before banging into the bumpstop.

I also run my Ranchos at 4 front and 6 rear (on the street).
I have a seriously bad back from a (few) parachuting incidents and these settings work well for me -they should be fine for an old man like yourself ;)

PeteVX
04/08/2005, 10:01 AM
OK, i cut down the bump stops last night, i never realised it was riding on the stops all the time which seems a little wierd, definitely a little bit better but still way too hard, if it were just a little more progressive,

Gotta find some softer springs, any suggestions?

Pete :eek:

mbeach
04/08/2005, 11:06 AM
What about some non-performance-oriented factory springs, like maybe the factory Trooper?

I'm sure that someone here can check p/ns for the VX and Trooper springs. If they are not the same, I'd be inclined to think that the Trooper's units will provide a more plush ride.