PDA

View Full Version : Ohio to Dallas

smorris65
03/29/2005, 09:02 PM
I'm flying into Ohio next week to pick up my 1st VX, an 01 Proton, then driving it back home to Dallas. Does anyone have tips as to where I might test this baby off the road? I was planning on stopping in Lexington, Ky and again in Memphis, Tn on my way back. But if you have any other routes that may be more enjoyable please let me know.

Thanks

tomdietrying
03/29/2005, 09:13 PM
Good to hear that we have another Dallasite on board. You just missed the VX meet in Dallas about a week ago. Hopefully, you can catch the next one.

Enjoy the trip back in your new Proton, and welcome aboard!

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
03/29/2005, 09:15 PM
Congrats & welcome,
Nice way to get to know your new "baby".Enjoy the drive.
Ldub

Triathlete
03/29/2005, 09:44 PM
If you take the long way and go through Tucson I would be more than happy to assist you in off road testing your VX...or you could just join us all in Moab for ZuZoo!
Congrats on your VX purchase!

mbeach
03/30/2005, 05:56 AM
What day next week, and where are you getting it from?

A couple of us Ohioans have been talking about a local meet in the Columbus area. It would be pretty cool if we could get together on the same day that you pick up your Proton.

smorris65
03/30/2005, 06:36 AM
I am flying in on April 7th and picking it up in Beverly, Ohio.

mbeach
03/30/2005, 08:17 PM
Talk about BFE.
On the upside, you'll be right in the middle of some of the most fantastic on-road driving in the country. The twisties down in SE Ohio are famously hairy, I've wrung out many a car's suspension on those roads.

I suggest making your way from Beverly up to I70, and westward from there. Or, you could go scenic. Do a Google for Car and Driver Magazine's best driving roads, and look for the state routes in southern Ohio (along the river).

Heraclid
03/30/2005, 09:22 PM
The twisties down in SE Ohio are famously hairy

Yes they can be. Twisty with lots dips and rises too, and mostly the opposing two lane type. I've spent a little time in the area of Malvern, Carrollton, Kilgore, down to Cadiz (where General Custer was born - Clark Gable's from around there too) and Tappan Lake/Deersville. There's a place with a buffalo herd you can see from the road somewhere between Carrollton and Tappan Lake if I remember right. I guess that all will be a bit out of your way though. Tappan Lake is a nice park to camp in or take a boat to we've pitched a tent there several times. Be careful on the twisties wherever you go - my wife is from the area and her mother was killed by a drunk driver who crossed the centerline on a curve near Carollton while trying to evade a police pursuit.

smorris65
03/31/2005, 05:20 AM
Thanks, I am looking for the scenic route, and possibly an off road trail that's not too challenging. I am just curious how the VX is going to handle off road. I used to have a Jeep CJ7 with a V8 and nothing short of quicksand would get that thing stuck. I thought about camping on my way back but since I am flying in I'd either have to take a tent, or buy one on my way back. I even considered sleeping in the VX if I could find some nice campground.

LukeVX
03/31/2005, 05:58 AM
Well it’s about time Texas stole a VX back. In July I drove to Houston from Indiana to get mine (18 hrs each way). My wife and I drove back in separate cars. Was a very good way to get to know the vehicle though? Wife wasn’t thrilled though. Looks to me like Texas and the Midwest are on some sort of VX trading program. Have a great time on your trip. I know you’ll love it. If you detour through Evansville, Indiana and see a 01 debagged Ebony. That’s Me!

Luke

Raque Thomas
03/31/2005, 01:13 PM
Hey - if you get through Louisville, give me a call 502-905-9444, we'll try to hook up! Congrats and enjoy the trip! I flew to Vegas and drove mine back to KY - it's a great way to get acquainted with your ride, do some sight seeing, and have a little adventure all at the same time!
Raque'

Heraclid
03/31/2005, 02:44 PM
I even considered sleeping in the VX if I could find some nice campground.

Well, if you're not someone who drools in their sleep. Can't do that to a VX. :-)

Seidmanrob
03/31/2005, 06:21 PM
smorris65,
Let me know when your passing through Memphis, I'd be glad to meet you and share the VX experience. There are only 3 VX's in Memphis, and I have only seen one other on the road here.

smorris65
04/01/2005, 07:17 PM
Well, My planned route has changed a few times and I now have Hotels booked in Lexington Kentucky, Chattanooga Tennesee, and Panama City Florida. I think I am going to try and make it to Panama City by Friday Night and spend a few days on the Beach, But. I don't think they allow vehicles on the beach there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Too bad. Some beach cruising would be cool. I bet the VX is a chick magnet too. If you know of any place close to Panama City that does allow beach cruising then please let me know. Thanks