PDA

View Full Version : Cayenne IS a potential VX replacement!

Tone
03/15/2003, 02:14 PM
Just got in from the coming out party for the Porsche Cayenne and pictures have NOT done the vehicle justice. It sits higher (adjustable) and has so much of the crossfunctionallity of the VX that it is a serious contender in my opinion. Seats 5 and I really could not tell it was an SUV when thrown into turns or at 120MPH on the test drive (salesman was UNcomfortable though!
More later.....

StormTROOPER
03/15/2003, 04:28 PM
Just one difference.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;) :D

Cobrajet
03/15/2003, 04:37 PM
The $56K - $89K price tag puts it out of reach for many of us. I know I can't justify the cost. For that kind of money I'd opt for a Boxster S, 911, Z06, Viper or other two-door sports machine. Why didn't Subaru make a 2-door coupe version of the WRX? Why doesn't Ford sell the Lightning in [yellow]? Four doors!? Never mind, I'll keep my VX!

Radiologue
03/16/2003, 07:59 AM
Although I would not mind having it, I don't think I could bare scratching it going off road! (Maybe when I become a multimillionaire/billionaire some day)
Do you remember those Lamborghini "Jeeps"--Now those things are BAD!!! I believe that's where the idea of the Hummer originated, but the Hummer is definitely no Lamborghini.

TDAWG
03/16/2003, 08:22 AM
Hey Radiologue, Is this what your talking about? This would be the only other SUV, I would ever think of giving my VX for.

johnnyapollo
03/16/2003, 09:09 AM
Buy the VW version and save yourself a load of $$. The test-drive results place the Touareg as a better buy.

http://www.vw.com/touareg/
Named the Best Luxury SUV for 2003 by Car and Driver.

Of course, you won't be able to wow the chicks with a Porsche...

-- John

Joe_Black
03/16/2003, 01:54 PM
No thanks, for that kind of money I could hit the used market and have a tricked out Unimog for off-road and a modded 911 for the street, plus enough for a few years insurance for both. Does the Porsche have a frame? Hmmm, I think not.

Besides, every yuppie soccer-mom in America will have either the Cayenne or the Tuareg. The ones in this neck of the woods are already clearing the dealerships of the BMW and H2. There's an H2 in town with a tag that reads "5 KIDS". They ain't drivin' VX's!

Dallas4u
03/16/2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Cobrajet
Why didn't Subaru make a 2-door coupe version of the WRX?

Hey Cobrajet... next year you can have the new 2004 Subaru WRX STI with a 300hp turbocharged powerplant and 300lb torque for around $32k. It DOES still have 4 doors... so you're still plus 2.

http://www.velocityphotos.com//images/stk/2004/su2004wrxsti01.jpg
http://www.motortrend.com/motor/autoshows/coverage/112_det03_sub_wrxsti_z.jpg

Radiologue
03/16/2003, 10:21 PM
TDAWG

That's it! I once saw one of those Lamborghini trucks towing an american tank. Amazing! The american government was trying to work a deal to build those for our american soldiers, but instead we ended up with the Hummer. Oh well.

One of the earliest and greatest SUV's from the eighties!

Joe_Black
03/17/2003, 05:13 AM
Radioloque, check out http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5849/lm.html for info on the Lamborghini LM series. The Hummer is a far superior vehicle for the mission than the LM-001 could be. TDAWG, the one you probably would want is the LM-004 which was pretty lux.

newthings
03/17/2003, 11:08 AM
SUV's aside, I have often wondered about the popularity, or at least the acceptance of the 4 door form factor in 'Look at Me,' cars. I always regarded 4 doors as less pleasing to the eye - Sort of a blimpy accommodation to the large family of style wantabes. As kid's cars, the 4 doors were always cheaper. If you don't have the bread, 4 doors are better than no doors (or wheels). In LA, the home of the Drive By, I finally realized why 4 doors were in -
They make a better shooting platform.
Roy

Leah
03/24/2003, 04:57 PM
Is that Chad Everette in that Porshe Cayenne? Wow! He looks great!

As for me, I'll wait for the Toyota fjcruiser to come out. I LOVE the way it looks!

Please, oh please let it come out looking like the prototype!

Moncha
03/24/2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Leah
Is that Chad Everette in that Porshe Cayenne? Wow! He looks great!

;Db; ;Dy; ;Dp; ;Do; ;Db;

Tone
03/24/2003, 09:21 PM
Sorry ya’ll have missed the point of the discussion. This IS the 4 door version of a the VX with a load more power, 450HP to be exact and 460 Ft Lbs of Torque with more control and clearance than a VX. True, it is missing much of the look that we have and at 3 times the cost ($93K for the one I drove), I’m not completely sure it is worth it. 0-60 in 5.6 and 160MPH top speed.

And being that we beat a $100K Carerra on the way back the dealership, it IS a serious sports car as well as a serious offroad contender (it easily climbed 60 degree inclines in Sardinia during dealer training WITHOUT hill climb mode engaged). Oh yeah, and it has a frame AND a transfer case. It can easily do everything a VX will do and more. We just happened to get the deal of the century on the prototype for it - the VX!