PDA

View Full Version : File Your Window Complaint On Line

DK
03/18/2005, 09:31 AM
The guy I spoke to at the DOT didn't tell me we could file via the DOT Auto Safely Hotline. But we can. Here's the link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It takes about five minutes. You'll need your VIN #.
============
Here's what I wrote:

I own a 2000 Vehicross by Isuzu. I bought it new four years ago and have only 26,000 miles on it. A few months ago the power window mechanism on the driver's side had to be replaced due to a failure of the track alignment.

It cost me $800 to fix.

Upon coming in contact with an organization of several hundred Vehicross enthusiasts I discovered that this type of window failure is epidemic with this model car. Some of the owners have had multiple failures -- i.e., the windows have been fixed only to fail again, sometimes three or four times.

At the moment I have 27,000 miles on the car and now the passenger's side window is beginning to fail.

I have contacted Isuzu but they deny there is a problem. On the other hand I understand there are official documents by Isuzu that do recognize this problem.

Since there was a limited distribution of this particular model car -- somewhere in the area of 4000 plus over a four year period -- it appears the window failure rate is a high percentage of that total number. I would ask that the department investigate this problem, including investigation of the internal Isuzu document mentioned above.

If there is, as it appears, a design flaw in the window mechanism, then there are hundreds of Vehicross owners who have improperly been charged to repair it, sometimes multiple times.

============

I'm going to follow up by sending them a copy of the poll and comments from this site several weeks ago.

>>>>> Merged
To follow up on the poll, etc., that we had a month or so ago, I just got off the phone with a rep at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

I explained the VX window failure problem and he is sending me a complaint form. He said that if the department gets enough complaints it will strengthen our case to have the government force Isuzu to issue a recall.

So I encourage everyone to call that number and have them send you a forml. With all the people on this board having had the same problem, some multiple times, they should receive a good number of complaints.

DK

Moncha
03/18/2005, 09:34 AM
Did the person you talked to give you a clue as to how many is "enough complaints"?

They need to understand the total number of vehicles produced and how many afflicted.

DK
03/18/2005, 09:41 AM
Did the person you talked to give you a clue as to how many is "enough complaints"?

They need to understand the total number of vehicles produced and how many afflicted.

I haven't received the form yet but the impression I got was that we could put a fair amount of information on it. I would assume this would include the number of vehicles produced. I don't know if the dept. uses some kind of percentage of failure formula. That might be a question to ask if and when you call.

DK

kpaske
03/18/2005, 09:18 PM
When you get the form, maybe you can scan it and post it? For those of us too busy or lazy to call that number, it would eliminate one step for us. ;Db;

DK
03/20/2005, 10:45 AM
Now I'm really pissed off.

27,000 miles on the VX and now the Dreaded Window Problem has infected my passenger side window. It closes okay at the rear half but leaves about a quarter inch gap at the front -- meaning that the window glass has changed angle. This on a window that is seldom open and closed.

Someone was talking about lubricating the track. Can this be done without taking the door panel off? And if so, what kind? Graphite? Oil? I expect a liquid that would run down the track from above would be best but I'd like to avoid anything that would screw up the rubber it might come in contact with.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

DK

Heraclid
03/20/2005, 11:35 AM
Mine drive me nuts too. I've sprayed white lithium grease in there before - I use the kind that comes in a can with a straw just like WD-40. But you'd really need to take the door apart. It won't run down the track but I've used it precisely because it stays put and doesn't run or evaporate. Even so, it's a very temporary and not-quite-perfect fix in my case. I tried graphite and it was useless (for me anyway). Good for things like door locks though.

I know someone who said he went out and got a cleaning oil for guns and said it worked very well for this application, but it seems like someone else told me that's a bad idea (not sure why but maybe degrades rubber?), so if you've got a mind to try it, research that one good first before taking the gamble.

Moncha
03/20/2005, 01:24 PM
Someone was talking about lubricating the track. Can this be done without taking the door panel off? And if so, what kind? ...

Silicone Spray Lube.. Cleans at it lubes and doesn't attract dirt which worsens the problem.

Heraclid
03/20/2005, 05:40 PM
Oops. That's what I meant to say above. I used silicone spray, not graphite.

I spent a good bit of time today fiddling with the lift mechanism in the driver's door again today. Basically I just drilled up a bit more and made the hole bigger on the bracket, trying Cascabel3's fix again. Drilled it up as far as I dare, so I can't offset it anymore. It's still kicking out but it's very nearly self-correcting before it gets to the top, so that's something at least. I'll lube up the track and it should work like a charm, but probably not for long.

DK
03/24/2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still waiting for the complaint form in the mail.

Just curious - how many of you have phoned to get one of these forms?

I have a feeling that if we submit a large enough number Isuzu will be forced to do something about the problem.

tomdietrying
03/24/2005, 10:34 AM
Yes, I filed my complaint today. Thanks for getting this going.
Peace.
Tom

IsuzuVXFan
03/24/2005, 11:07 PM
DK - I had the same problem with my passenger side window and thanks to this group and Article (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=3), was able to fix my problem in less than an hour. No problems with the process and the window works perfect now! Having just purchased my 2001, I didn't realize how much having that window problem was ruining my VX ownership experience. After fixing the window, it was so much more pleasurable to drive. Special thanks to Phines for taking the time document the solution.

I see that you're in California - if you're willing to drive up to the Bay Area, I'm willing to do the same to your VX's window(s) at no charge. I'm not a Isuzu mechanic, but have worked on many vehicles and am willing to help out a fellow VXer in need. This group has been so very helpful, both in helping me establish the confidence to buy my VX as well as lots of useful information. So, in the spirit of giving back, I'd be happy to help you out. If interested, email me at todd@milwaukeeroad.com and we'll coordinate logisitics.

DK
03/25/2005, 09:01 AM
This group has been so very helpful, both in helping me establish the confidence to buy my VX as well as lots of useful information. So, in the spirit of giving back, I'd be happy to help you out. If interested, email me at todd@milwaukeeroad.com and we'll coordinate logisitics.

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I'll email you about it. It's interesting that the fix you used is so simple. You'd think that Isuzu would have figured it out -- maybe modified the track as described, etc.

I hope we get a good response from the group here with regard the Govt. complaint form.

DK

jimbo
03/25/2005, 09:06 AM
I haven't had the dreaded window problem yet.

I decided when I got the VX to NEVER open my windows. :eek:

Boy it bugs the heck out of the folks at the toll booth ;)

IsuzuVXFan
03/25/2005, 12:15 PM
DK - when you email me, please put ISUZUVXFAN in the subject line. I get too much email to screen manually everyday, so that will help me not screen your message into the spam folder. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Todd

DK
03/26/2005, 01:10 PM
The guy I spoke to at the DOT didn't tell me we could file via the DOT Auto Safely Hotline. But we can. Here's the link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It takes about five minutes. You'll need your VIN #.
============
Here's what I wrote:

I own a 2000 Vehicross by Isuzu. I bought it new four years ago and have only 26,000 miles on it. A few months ago the power window mechanism on the driver's side had to be replaced due to a failure of the track alignment.

It cost me $800 to fix.

Upon coming in contact with an organization of several hundred Vehicross enthusiasts I discovered that this type of window failure is epidemic with this model car. Some of the owners have had multiple failures -- i.e., the windows have been fixed only to fail again, sometimes three or four times.

At the moment I have 27,000 miles on the car and now the passenger's side window is beginning to fail.

I have contacted Isuzu but they deny there is a problem. On the other hand I understand there are official documents by Isuzu that do recognize this problem.

Since there was a limited distribution of this particular model car -- somewhere in the area of 4000 plus over a four year period -- it appears the window failure rate is a high percentage of that total number. I would ask that the department investigate this problem, including investigation of the internal Isuzu document mentioned above.

If there is, as it appears, a design flaw in the window mechanism, then there are hundreds of Vehicross owners who have improperly been charged to repair it, sometimes multiple times.

============

I'm going to follow up by sending them a copy of the poll and comments from this site several weeks ago.

Heraclid
03/26/2005, 05:09 PM
I submitted one too but got an error message saying there was a problem transmitting it. I will keep trying!

thebear54
03/26/2005, 07:59 PM
I just submitted my formal complaint to the NHTSA on line for that "Non-existant" window failure problem. It only took about five minutes...let's see what happens now :rolleyes:
John

marximus
03/28/2005, 12:42 AM
yup, i sent a complaint.

wekilled
03/28/2005, 08:54 PM
Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10115983

Lease-V-cross
03/29/2005, 09:04 PM
I had my VX window problem around the same time last year! Guess what...it's acting up again on the passenger side. For some reason I think the weather change does it every time. Be careful, becuase the window tends to drop down and stay down inside the door.
I had that happen on the driver's side while I was driving to get it fixed in the rain.
Now, of course I am leasing mine, so it was under warranty.

Guess I'll have to take it back in again to get it looked at.

Swordy
03/29/2005, 09:10 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116058

kpaske
03/29/2005, 09:38 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116061

FernZ
03/29/2005, 11:20 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116065

KristyRemo
03/30/2005, 11:42 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116099

Moncha
03/30/2005, 12:15 PM
I added a poll at the top of the page so folks can show if they filed on or off line.
Should help with getting a count. You can still add your confirmation info if you want.

Heraclid
03/30/2005, 05:57 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116123

SU-Vehi
03/30/2005, 06:58 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116130

LukeVX
03/31/2005, 01:55 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116181

LukeVX
04/01/2005, 08:05 AM
How will we find out if our filing complaints recently about the window failure are making any headway? Say Isuzu gets forced into something. How will the VX community find out?

Luke

Moncha
04/01/2005, 08:34 AM
Luke, I merged the threads to keep them together.

If Isuzu gets "forced" into some kind of action, There are still several original owners (Me for one) that would most certainly get notified.. I have regular contact with the Corp albeit not ones that would help with this problem and Anita has some insiders as well.
Of course, we'd post something as soon as we received it.

DK
04/04/2005, 10:17 AM
Geeze, only 11 people have filed re the window problem?

Come on, gang, we should be way more than that by now.

It only takes about 5 minutes.

DK

dog
04/04/2005, 01:56 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116349

psychos2
04/04/2005, 02:45 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116353

redline
04/04/2005, 03:44 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116356

DK
04/04/2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks, guys, keep 'em coming.

crager34
04/05/2005, 05:02 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116388

dkmiller68
04/05/2005, 02:54 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116428

S-naked
04/05/2005, 03:25 PM
Filed mine tonight!

Hope something comes of this. Thanks for the information.

VXR
04/05/2005, 08:49 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116448

nocturnalVX
04/06/2005, 12:05 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116453

:luck:
Now, let's see if this does anything. Oh, and I am an origional owner as well, so if I should hear something...

DK
04/06/2005, 02:17 PM
20 filed. 80 to go. Come on, gang, we can do it!

Isuzu is waiting.

VXR
04/06/2005, 10:57 PM
What are you waiting for????????? :confused:

DK
04/07/2005, 10:46 AM
What are you waiting for????????? :confused:

Not me, my fine fellow, Isuzu. They're waiting to be forced into a recall so they can fix our window design problems -- and maybe refund some of the $$$$ we've spent fixing them.

mbeach
04/07/2005, 11:21 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116549

geshaw30
04/07/2005, 01:05 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10116562
________
Justin Bieber Fans (http://justinbieberfan.info/)

DK
04/09/2005, 02:19 PM
Looks like we're up to 24.

All aboard!

DK
04/10/2005, 06:30 PM
Here is a list of all those who have noted their DOT filing re the window problem. It seems to me there were a lot more that responded to the original poll. If you haven't filed, now would be a good time. And if you have any VX buds who are not on this board, please let them know about this action.

Thanks.
-------------
geshaw30
mbeach
nocturnalVX
VXR
S-naked
dkmiller68
crager34
redline
psychos2
dog
LukeVX
SU-Vehi
Heraclid
KristyRemo
FernZ
kpaske
Swordy
Lease-V-cross
wekilled
marximus
thebear54
tomdietrying
DK

DK
04/14/2005, 03:16 PM
Hint. See my Power of Protest post.

DK

VXing
04/14/2005, 07:04 PM
Just posted my complaint. Back from the dealer who said it would be around $300.00 to fix both sides, I assume more though. This will be the second "fix" for my window problem. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mike

smorris65
04/14/2005, 07:47 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10117901

CSTYLES
04/14/2005, 09:10 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10117903

Took the time to go through all past records. I've had mine in to the dealer 5 times and had the window repaired under warranty. I've had both sets of window runs replaced and then welded into a different location, replaced the passenger glass, plus had the shims and regulater adjusted. What hope is there that they will figure out the absolute fix even after a recall?

amcar04
04/15/2005, 11:38 AM
I just got a '99 and the tract is out on the drivers side...I will also fill out the
form :mad:
A tip...roll it back down to where it started messing up (about half way) and slowly roll up while holding the top in place, works for me and only take a few seconds, as long as you get it up almost to the top w/o going out the rest will go up fine :)

Triathlete
04/15/2005, 12:23 PM
Filed online...confirmation# 10117931 :bwgy:

Okay, I'm a moron today and hit the wrong button on the poll! One offline vote gets moved to ONLINE!

MZ-N10
04/15/2005, 12:50 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10117934
________
Laguna Bay Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

DK
04/15/2005, 06:15 PM
I think it's great that some of you are noting multiple problems and ongoing problems with your windows.

I'm curious though, if this is a design flaw, how come only some of us are experiencing it?

It seems some of you have owned VX's for several years and not had any problems whatsoever? It seems odd that it's almost epidemic in some cars and non existent in others unless Isuzu used two different kinds of systems.

DK

AK VX Lvr
04/15/2005, 07:19 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10117958

Moncha
04/15/2005, 07:30 PM
I'm curious though, if this is a design flaw, how come only some of us are experiencing it?
DK

Some of us don't roll the windows down ;)

DK
04/16/2005, 08:12 AM
Some of us don't roll the windows down ;)

Now you tell me.

Francesco Rizzo
04/17/2005, 09:47 AM
I'm in:
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10118000

get those fockers!

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/17/2005, 06:47 PM
I'm also an original owner.....

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10118018

TimG
04/18/2005, 08:24 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10118034

DK
04/19/2005, 10:30 AM
Looks like 33 registered complaints so far.

Lookin' good.

Lease-V-cross
04/21/2005, 07:47 AM
I have such a history with this damn window. Actually, both of them!

I have both windows fixed about 4 times all under my warranty.

Now the passenger side is acting up again and the shop tells me the repair will be free but the labor will be $175. Huh?

There should have been a recall on this car but they only made a few of them, right? Just how many Vehicross models were made?

--and where do i sign this complaint? :mad:

DK
04/21/2005, 12:21 PM
check the link on the first post of this thread.

VehiCrazy
04/28/2005, 05:44 AM
Finally got off my a** and put in my complaint.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10118612

However, for what it is worth, I told my dealer service guy about this effort of ours and he stated that it was futile as since it is not strictly a "safety" issue, Isuzu won't have to do anything about it. It was intereting that he was aware that window failure was ubiquitous on the Vehicross though...

psychos2
04/28/2005, 09:53 AM
It is a safety issue. Have you ever driven down the road in the rain with your window stuck down? or in the snow for that matter. since it is a known defect ,not an issue on a car with 100,000 miles that the window is just plain wore out.The first time mine messed up was around 20,000 miles.So i will argue that it is a safety issue. shawn

VehiCrazy
04/28/2005, 05:45 PM
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I don't make the decisions at Isuzu...

Spike
04/30/2005, 08:20 PM
Well I had it for a few months, but who (in the snow zone) uses their windows in the winter time? So the dealership 'realigned and lubricated' both of them (it was only the driver window that was jamming and pulling from the track) So far so good. I give it 6 months before I have another problem...

psychos2
05/01/2005, 07:07 AM
Spike, anyone that uses a drive thru. banks,fast food ,etc. shawn

TechnoPope
05/02/2005, 07:38 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10118810

One down, one to go.

Numba1goalie
06/17/2005, 12:56 AM
Filed mine.

When i just bought it at the dealer last monday, they didnt say anything about it but as i played with the windows they both stuck about 3/4 to the top. So I am waiting for them to fix it before i can pick it up. I will probably just follow the DIY threads if it happens again.

Ldub
06/17/2005, 07:47 AM
Numba 1,
Maybe print out the DIY thread & show it to the tech. at the dealership? If they "accidentally" do it right the first time, you could save yourself some work.
Just my $.02, Ldub

HotFlyer
07/04/2005, 06:46 AM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10127378

Python VX
07/04/2005, 06:35 PM
I'm getting an error on the web page when trying to start the submission, but I'm adding in. I've had mine since 54000 miles and the problem didn't start until somewhere in the 80K range.

I think it's cause I'm on a Mac, so I will try later this week at work to submit, or via an off line method.

John M.

>bothwindowssuck.com

tngerman2000
07/06/2005, 02:11 PM
Filed my window complaint offline.

scarpezio
07/06/2005, 08:38 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10127712

Passenger side window is starting to bind, groaning and straining as it goes up, 39000 miles.

DK
07/07/2005, 01:59 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10127712

Passenger side window is starting to bind, groaning and straining as it goes up, 39000 miles.

Give both sides a good spray with silicone lube. Make sure it runs down into the track inside the door. It will reduce the friction to almost zero and prolong the use of the windows.

Lease-V-cross
07/07/2005, 04:33 PM
Got my VX back from service a week ago and the service guy's exact words were..."You made out!"

Damn straight.

I had a bunch of warranty work covered. Rear Axle bearings replaced. But check this out...the window regulator was replaced ($81.48) and the motor for the window. ($182.32) A total of $357.40
All covered by my warranty. Why am I telling you this? So, anyone who is having to pay higher than that is getting ripped off!

Even though my defective windows were covered...I went ahead and
filed the window complaint online. Confirmation # 10127827
Now, hopefully the driver's side window will stay intact.

This is the fourth time the window(s) have been fixed.

Maybe I'll change my mind by the time my lease is up and buy the damn car, after I had all this free work done on it.

ZEUS
12/13/2005, 02:29 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10145127

biju
12/13/2005, 03:08 PM

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10145131

-biju.

AlaskaVX
12/13/2005, 05:36 PM
VOQ Confirmation

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10145142

I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T SEE THIS THREAD BEFORE!!!!!!! Why did the poll close?

Edward
12/15/2005, 01:21 PM
Tell me where I file my window complaint... mine hasn't worked right in a year. I gave up going to the dealer the never solve the problem. I just quit using the passenger side and when I use the driver side I have to help it up with one hand.

Edward
12/15/2005, 02:06 PM
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10145400

Having the dealer replace the window motor and regulator doesn't solve the problem! I have had mine replaced twice.. it is only a temporary fix. The tracks need to be modified to really fix the problem. Hopefully our complaints will get some action.

DK
12/17/2005, 09:22 PM
Tell me where I file my window complaint... mine hasn't worked right in a year. I gave up going to the dealer the never solve the problem. I just quit using the passenger side and when I use the driver side I have to help it up with one hand.

Go to the first page of this thread. I put the link there.

maxw
12/18/2005, 05:18 AM
Just filed. Hope it works.
Max.

VX4EJR
04/08/2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry to dig up and/or hijack an old thread, BUT...I have to for two reasons.

1) Did these window complaints ever get anywhere with the ODI NHTSA??

2) Also, I would encourage any and all VX owners who are reading this and have had their ABS module fail to STRONGLY consider filing a complaint through the same site noted in this thread. You can do it online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ or by phone...takes 4-5 minutes...you'll need your VIN# and have to give some info leading up to how you discovered the problem, etc. I just did it, because paying a dealer around $3,000 to fix something safety related that should last AT LEAST over 100K miles on any vehicle is silly and wrong. I have also confirmed with a technical person I called on within Isuzu in CA that without a properly working ABS under severe/extreme flat/pedal-to-the-floor braking, the VX's TOD (which does receive data from the ABS system in how the TOD operates) may be effected and may put drive torque on wheels that aren't responding meaning instead of stopping you'll continue with erratic drive movement forward. I did get the feeling though this was a worst case scenario, but, imagine that causing or happening in an accident. Clearly there is a design or manufacturing defect with our ABS and when I called Isuzu customer relations, they simply say pay the money to have it fixed and have a nice day. Please, consider filing a complaint. It may make a huge difference in us getting a deserved repair.

VX4EJR
04/16/2010, 05:53 AM
bump! :)