PDA

View Full Version : Weight Savings with carbon hood??

xdfarrx
03/26/2005, 10:08 AM
My hood is worked from chipping and living in Tahoe winters...
I was thinking of opting for the carbon hood by carbonfiber1(?). I want to paint factory but have the insert in carbon-
When Tone was here he said that the factory latch would be no good and I would have to go to track style hood hood pins-
Is it worth it and does anyone have an estimate on weight savings? I figure paint would have an incidental weight addition.

Ldub
03/26/2005, 10:53 AM
My hood is worked from chipping and living in Tahoe winters...
I was thinking of opting for the carbon hood by carbonfiber1(?). I want to paint factory but have the insert in carbon-
When Tone was here he said that the factory latch would be no good and I would have to go to track style hood hood pins-
Is it worth it and does anyone have an estimate on weight savings? I figure paint would have an incidental weight addition.

Are you using lead based paint ???, and what size roller are you using to apply it ? LOL...Ldub :bwgy:

VCrossfan
03/26/2005, 11:18 AM
I think the main reason people put a carbon fiber hood on a Vcross is looks. Putting one on to save weight is like a carbon fiber Hatch on a Tank. But the carbon inserts look very nice OEM style or Scooped ! ! !

StormTROOPER
03/26/2005, 11:35 AM
Man.....the things WE will do to avoid goin on a diet. :p .. ;)

xdfarrx
03/26/2005, 12:53 PM
I have alot of carbon on my streetbike... the weight difference in factory fairings, vs carbon is 17lbs. Factory fairing are already light.
The weight savings I have to believe would be substantial.
I am not doing it for aestitics, and yes some do it for looks but I like to keep any of my mods purposeful.
If I am going to take off 60+ pounds, of the front end I would think it would be discernable

Heraclid
03/26/2005, 03:26 PM
It's all relative. I don't know what your streetbike weighs, but let's go with a ballpark figure of 400 lbs. If you saved 17 lbs. off your bike, that's just a bit more than a 4% weight savings. Now take a moment to consider how much weight needs to come off just to make a similar weight savings on the VX. The VX is listed at 3,955 lbs., so...

1% = 39.55 lbs
2% = 79.10 lbs
3% = 118.65 lbs
4% = 158.20 lbs
5% = 197.75 lbs
6% = 237.30 lbs
7% = 276.85 lbs
8% = 316.40 lbs
9% = 355.95 lbs
and of course
10% = 395.50 lbs
etc.

I'm thinking that if you wanted to just remove 4% from the VX, removing the hood (before you even replace it with anything) AND the back seat probably still won't get you there. And even then I doubt you could really tell a difference - it's still just a meager 4% and the VX is no motorcycle. Shifting your weight while riding a VX won't do much, and your weight relative to the VX is much less than it is relative to the bike. The average guy on a 400 lb. streetbike may represent almost 50% of the bike's own weight added to it, then you're on two wheels too, so it makes a big difference. The VX hardly knows that person is there.

Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs. per gallon and our tank is 22.5 gallons, so having a full tank for us means carrying about an extra 135 lbs. Can you tell much difference between a full tank and when you're on fumes? I can't. It's only between a 3% and 4% weight increase. In fact, mine feels a bit peppier with a full tank for whatever reason.

xdfarrx
03/26/2005, 03:48 PM
Valid logic Heraclid-
Kind of stuff I wanted to here-
I pulled the rear seat out whn I first got my car.
So basically I am wasting my dough getting the hood... pure looks.No appreciable benefit
Hmmmmm.... well see

Heraclid
03/26/2005, 03:57 PM
Glad I could help, because I hate math and wouldn't want it to be for nothing. :-)

Carbon would look nice though, and it saves having to deal with the insert. Our hood inserts crack if they're bolted on too tight, are hard to keep looking their best, and lots of crap gets underneath them. So there may yet be a functional reason to go for it.

xdfarrx
03/26/2005, 04:30 PM
Agreed... My hood looks like ***. It has a small and reletively unnoticable dent from some one trying to slam the hood. Insert is cracked. Chipped, and needs paint-
I am going to pull the insert and Line-X it prolly. However after I weigh the costs, I might just go carbon hood

WormGod
03/28/2005, 07:46 AM
I am getting prepared to mount the CF1 hood as soon as we get clearer weather around here. Considering its been sitting against the wall in my living room since Xmas, it will be nice to dust it off finally and get to work on it. I still need to drill the proper insert holes to mount that, cut out the drain ports, window jet holes, and the hole for the induction scoop, and find some good hood pins to mount. To top all that off, I still have to mount in some sort of protective screen to keep debris out. Quite a bit of work really. My luck is, I'll !@#$ it up when making one of the cuts.

The hood looks great though. REALLY great and VERY light weight compared to the stock. I am able to carry this CF one around with a pinky finger.

I would seriously hold on a bit until I get this one mounted though. If its off any, I need to inform them. As far as I know, I got the prototype and I think they were hoping I would mount it as soon as I got it. On the east coast in winter though.... not likely. Hopefully within a few weeks from now though.

xdfarrx
03/28/2005, 09:10 AM
Let me know....
Good luck with the fitment