PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please about possible lift & new tires

VX1
03/23/2005, 07:51 PM
It’s getting about time to replace my Yoko 265/60/18s (which I love). While I was at it, I was thinking of going one size larger on the tires to 285s, since they are essentially the same price. I want to also do a slight lift, enough to fit these tires, but not so much that it won’t fit in the garage (only 3.3” to spare). So, the tires will give me another inch, and I was thinking about getting a set of 2 inch poly spacers at:

http://www.independent4x.bigstep.com/item.html?UCIDs=839915%7C1109486&PRID=1211879

Does anyone see a problem with this setup, if I just keep my stock shocks and springs? I feel like I’m riding on the bumpstops already, so I wouldn’t mind a little play in the shocks, but it’s not going to totally kill handling, is it?

-Scott

VCrossfan
03/23/2005, 09:16 PM
Leave the rear alone and crank the bars in the front...

VX1
03/24/2005, 04:47 AM
I know that's a popular option, but I really like the stance my VX has right now; if I'm going to raise one axle, I'd prefer to raise them all the same amount. I'm afraid if I go with new springs in the back and crank the torsion bars up front, I won't be able to get a nice even 2 inches all around.

TDAWG
03/24/2005, 08:38 AM
I don't know if you have noticed but our beloved VX doesn't have a even stance all round. The rear is just a little higher than the front. If you crank the torsion bar it will give you the stance your looking for. I run 32X11.5 Baja and with very little trimming they fit with no problem. I am sure if would have cranked the torsion bar I am sure I wouldn't have had to trim.

VX1
03/24/2005, 09:29 AM
What I mean is, I like the back a little higher than the front (I think with the spare and back seats out, it even amplifies that effect), so I'd like to keep it at it's current stance, but raised 2 inches at every corner. I was hoping someone here had some experience using these coil spacers?

Raque Thomas
03/24/2005, 09:44 AM
I was hoping someone here had some experience using these coil spacers?

I have past experience using coil spacers, and my advice would be DON'T! Coil spacers put unplanned stress on specific areas of your springs and can cause them to break.

Jay Dunford
03/24/2005, 11:13 AM
I have past experience using coil spacers, and my advice would be DON'T! Coil spacers put unplanned stress on specific areas of your springs and can cause them to break.

Not real sure how the spacers put extra stress on the springs. They just drop the whole spring down from the factory well and the top of the spring rests on the spacer instead of the rubber bushing. (Note, if you put the spacers in remove the bushing.) Another option for about 2-1/2" of lift is to put in the OME 912 springs, that will give you better compression (up) travel and the spring rates are similar to stock. Then just crank the front torision bars to your liking and align. You probably won't have to mess with the ball joint flip with the smaller amount of lift.

Raque Thomas
03/24/2005, 11:45 AM
Sorry - I was thinking of the kind that twist into the spring itself. They put stress on the spring because there is a solid connection from one coil to another, sometimes causing a break at that point. The spring flexes at a different rate on either side of the spacer. Haven't seen the kind you are talking about - I assume they have a retention ring to keep the spring in the seat?

Jay Dunford
03/24/2005, 02:28 PM
No problem - I figured that is what you were thinking of. The VX does not have any retaining clips for the springs. It relies on the shocks and, to a small extent the sway bars if you don't disconnect them, to keep the spring under a little pressure so it stays in the cups. The Indy4x spacers are molded to fit into the stock cup and replicate the shape on the bottom for the spring.

VX1
03/25/2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks Jay, I'll order them and try it out. Does anyone with the Yoko 285/60/18s have any pictures in the gallery?

WormGod
03/28/2005, 07:39 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2451