PDA

View Full Version : OT: Starting a business

Heraclid
03/20/2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry, I know it's off-topic, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this, and particularly if it relates to delivery services, i.e. software applications for automated dispatching and route mapping with GPS, etc. All ideas for a start-up (related or otherwise) and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've decided I don't want to be anyone's employee but my own and it's time to get moving.

kpaske
03/20/2005, 06:58 PM
I don't really have a lot of experience, but I too am planning to start a business in the next 2-3 years. I'm nearing the end of my Army service, and will be relocating around the beginning of next year to Southern California, so I plan to take some time to get settled. But after that I would like to start a software and/or consulting type business. I used to run a small computer sales business while I was in college working on my first degree, but it never really made it anywhere. Heck, the market was pretty saturated by then anyway, and I mostly did it for friends and associates who wanted to save a little and have a custom built machine, but didn't know how to do it themselves. This time around I'm looking to hook up with some smart folks with a good range of skills and see what we can accomplish collectively. Sooo... I'd love to discuss some ideas and if anything we might be able to send each other some business in the future. ;Db;

johnnyapollo
03/20/2005, 07:19 PM
Hey David,

I helped to start Marketworks (originally Auctionworks Inc). I can give you some information about what you need (mostly a well thought out business plan, a good idea and funding). I also set up payroll, benefits, recruiting (pretty much all HR), found our location, did competitive analysis, finagled the finances and books and ultimately documented all the design specifications for the application. I'm currently a product manager (by choice) within the much larger Marketworks company, however I have a lot of experience in starting from scratch as an entrepreneur and making a multi-million dollar corporation. I'm not sure if what you're looking for has that much potential as to scale, but I think I can give you some good information. You want to give me a call (I think you have my number if you don't Joe does). Or get your quesitons together and I'll try to answer them via email.

-- Best, John

Heraclid
03/20/2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks very much to you both! I'm pretty much a clean slate at this point. I have a few ideas but I'm open to anything. I don't really know what I'm doing but it's time to do something. Ideally, I'd like to set it up where Amanda and I did whatever it is together as a home-based business. I'll try to come up with some more specific goals and questions and I'll be in touch. Please feel free to e-mail me with any suggestions, and thank you!

kpaske
03/20/2005, 08:57 PM
I'm looking at something home based also. If you decide to get into software design, or something similar, I think it would be great to team up with folks in different locations. I'm not sure yet whether it would be best to develop a suite of products designed for the largest market, or to design custom applications for specific clients. From a support point of view, a suite of applications would probably be the simplest way to go. But from a marketing point of view, having a specific client with a need guarantees that your product will be useful (and that it will sell!). Do either of these strategies interest you?

Heraclid
03/20/2005, 09:08 PM
You both have e-mail.

Heraclid
03/22/2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the correspondence - I really appreciate the very in-depth responses I got via e-mail, and will spend a little time trying to apply some of it and just thinking through this stuff and should be responding soon. In the meantime, thanks again!