PDA

View Full Version : Amp pops after turnin off

-x-
03/13/2003, 02:41 PM
Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to prevent it from happening. i.e. fix. Dont wanna mess anything up, i just got it in ; ) ....x

SU-Vehi
03/13/2003, 07:01 PM
Have you used this amp before? What brand & model is it?

-x-
03/13/2003, 08:53 PM
na its a hand me down pyramid 4 ch 800w ....x

ojmagg
03/14/2003, 05:52 AM
I would check the ground that you are using on the amp. I've had amps in the past with that problem, make sure that you are going into bare metal.

Tone
03/14/2003, 07:20 AM
Ground would the first thing to check but all connections are possible culprits as is how it is getting turned on and off. The radio should be the controlling unit with it’s blue turn on wire.

-x-
03/14/2003, 07:42 AM
Thanx the remote is tha blue wire from the radio so im going to see about ground and make it to bare metal i believe its on painted metal (i was tired cut me some slack ; ) thanx again guys....x

Navigator
03/14/2003, 12:44 PM
Also try ring connectors to ensure none of your connections pop loose.

coachreed
03/31/2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by -x-
... pyramid 4 ch 800w ....x

No offense, but I think you just said what the problem was... PYRAMID. WAAAAY back in the day, I had my dealings with Pyramid amps... they are noisey and unreliable... but you get what you pay for. I'd recommend getting an amp that is a little cleaner... even if its gonna cost you a buck or two... I mean, its not like your putting it in a Yugo, right? ;pb;

Coach... aka Randy!

xdfarrx
03/31/2003, 09:23 PM
Pyramid is a low price point amp that is rated higher then what it can really push. I know because I had got one through Crutchfield and through getting another two (warranty-they fried) realized what I was dealing with. My moms used to say pay peanuts get monkeys. In your case you got hooked up, your stoked but got to deal with the grief. In the case with Amps they cost but generally the more you spend the better they are. Pick one that is right for your application. I suggest Diamond Audio Amps, and for a little less Rockford Fosgate was pretty good- I just put in a 4 channel RockFosin my girls honda and it works great- almost 450 bucks though...The Diamond Audio stuff is sweet, little more spendy but as good as it gets -

SGT.BATGUANO
03/31/2003, 10:04 PM
Might be able to place a diode (in the proper polarization) between the amp's + and - leads to counteract the induced inverse voltage produced by the collapsing magnetic fields of any coils, relays etc., when the amp is turned off.

Most modern automotive relays now have this diode incorporated into their design to prevent damge to automotive electronic systems. Check with your local automotive sound store to see if this might help, and also how to wire it correctly.

jim.LR>AR
04/01/2003, 01:54 AM
I had a fosgae 150 mono on two 10's mtx changed to alpine 200 mono lot more crisp and clear harder thump. Now I have two alpine mono and two 10's and two 12's deafing and hard thumping you get what you pay for ... by the way if you buy peanuts shouldn't you get elephants? God i'm very tired....