PDA

View Full Version : Free Sirius Tuner and Car Kit

johnnyapollo
03/16/2005, 03:08 AM
If you've ever thought about doing this, here's the opportunity:

Sirius has a free Sirius Starmate or Sportster (including car kit) with subscription. Click on "Sirius Direct" then enter promotion code 106. Quarterly subscription is $39.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=FlexContent&cid=1093297055690&source=661&occ=cj66128

-- John

Maugan_VX
03/16/2005, 05:49 AM
Sirius vs XM?

anybody with 1st hand knowledge of both? GF has XM in her new Accord and its nice, but I've never dealt with Sirius.

Is it better than XM?

Joe_Black
03/16/2005, 06:01 AM
I almost went XM but waited for SIRIUS because at the time XM had commercials, which I certainly wasn't going to pay for. Also, SIRIUS has NPR and PRI programming which is important to me. The coverage from SIRIUS is a little better as they have 3 satellites versus XM's 2. But now that XM has followed SIRIUS's lead and gone commercial free on the music streams, and also raised their price to the same as SIRIUS (now including features they once charged extra for, matching the SIRIUS offerings) it's really more about taste. They both have almost identical music line-ups, so it boils down to the entertainment channels. Think of it more as a Coke or Pepsi choice.

Check out both of their web sites and compare the content. If you're a sports nut or Howard Stern fan, you'll likely lean toward SIRIUS. Especially if you need your weekly fix of Car Talk or Prairie Home Companion. For the baseball fans then XM is your broadcaster, or if Andy & Opie ring your shock-jock bell. Oh, NASCAR is moving from XM to SIRIUS next year too.

So, just look and listen to figure your favorite. :)

Maugan_VX
03/16/2005, 09:36 AM
well I was about to bite, then I noticed that I had forgotten to bring my wallet to the office.

Hopefully the deal will still be running when I get home.

dkmiller68
03/16/2005, 11:49 AM
2:58 PM (Eastern) too late ... promotion over

Maugan_VX
03/16/2005, 01:02 PM
****!#$%@#$%

Swordy
03/16/2005, 07:25 PM
I opted for the XM since it uses my head units display. I didn't want to have some external extra stuff cluttering up my dash. I have enough extra c!#p there as it is. XM just anounced that they are going to raise their prices in april, but they are offering more stuff than they do now. You can get the new feature subscriptions for the old price until that time.
http://swordforger.net/vx/xm.jpg
Now if pioneer would only come out with a removable solid state hard drive like Music Keg, or Neo Jukebox. I'd be stylin.

Joe_Black
03/16/2005, 07:50 PM
I initially went with the integrated type tuner but soon switched to the portable. The docking station is about the size of a deck of cards and I have it mounted to the left side of the ECU cover. It almost looks OEM and is totally out of the way, plus there's absulotely no exposed cabling. The display is easily read and the controls in easy reach. So once I get home or to the office, I just pop out the tuner and set it in the desktop cradle and I'm still jammin' inside. I can even use it without the dock by plugging an antenna directly into it and use either a set of headphones or powered speakers. Doing that was a real life-saver when I recently drove a U-Haul for a friends 500 mile move.

Gotta get the boombox dock next! ;)

Dallas4u
03/16/2005, 08:33 PM
with the '106' promo you can get eh Kenwood unit and use it in the car and home for $75. Not too big on this unit, though... I remember seeing these a couple years ago, so I don't know how much these have evolved.

I almost jumped on this, but stopped right before I paid... I don't know why. I'd personally go with Sirius for Howard as I was with XM before and liked it, but I'm going to have to make the Portland to Seattle drive and back more often these days, so it'd be nice to have something. SHould have done it... :(

Maugan_VX
03/17/2005, 05:10 AM
on the slickdeals thread it said the deal would run through 4/2.

Guess not :(

VCrossfan
03/17/2005, 06:43 AM
In the "Promo Code". I started typing random #'s in, and all #'s between 450-465 gave a discount some of the prices were 1/2 off. But none zero yet. If there's another Discount code, who will find it??? $0.00 wins ! ! !

iwanicki
03/17/2005, 07:27 AM
I ordered mine yesterday! Free shipping and everything! What a deal!

iwanicki
03/24/2005, 10:20 PM
Where did this order code come from? It is bad, and they will not send me my "free" sat radio....very sad...

Dallas4u
03/25/2005, 08:18 AM
The code was being spread throughout many 'deals' forums, so there's no telling how many people tried using it. I know, per other threads in those forums, that many people had their orders canceled... then people get pi$$ed off.

The problem is, the code was probably meant for a specific number of people... someone mentioned they thought it was for Best Buy employees (or something like that). Once a person takes the code and posts it, leaving thousands and thousands of others to try and take advantage of it, Sirius (or any other company that does this) cancels orders... it's the way it goes. Dell does it all the time. They send codes to email subscribers or past purchasers, then they get nailed all over the net. Once this happens, orders get canceled.

Francesco Rizzo
03/25/2005, 09:42 AM
xm sucks.. had it for like three months.. I'm gonna write more but I need to go cancel my subcription

johnnyapollo
03/25/2005, 10:08 AM
With these type offers it's very hit-or-miss - I once got a 200 GB Western Digital drive from Dell for $29 shipped, so sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. All you can do is try - at least you don't lose anything if they cancel your order.

-- John