PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 285/60/18

tomdietrying
03/15/2005, 05:41 PM
O.k. I got a test fit of a 285/60/18 on my front, driver's side. Surprisenly, it didn't rub. I can see where I might want to take just a inch off the front cladding though.

The question I have is with the travel of the tire over bumps. It is a much BIGGER and WIDER tire, so will it hit and rub if I'm driving over speed bumps and just normal driving? Will it get in the way when I go to Moab doing some 3 plus trails? Remember, I don't have a lift or anything like that on my VX.

Any advice from others who have the 285/60/18 already or know of someone who put them on will be greatly appreciated.

Peace.
Tom

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
03/15/2005, 06:24 PM
I'm running that size right now and it required trimming in front and back of the front wheelwell for propper fit over bumps while turning. I also used the torsion bar lift to raise the front end about 1.5" to even out the overall look and get some more clearence. My rims have a 5" backspace which was a big part of my previously mentioned clearence problem ( my tires stick out past the wheelwell about an inch still which is not legal in most places) so keep that in mind. Anyway... your not going to run into any problems that a couple of minutes with a sawzall wont fix. Check my gallery for pics and have fun with those new skins!