PDA

View Full Version : How modified would be too much to sell

Francesco Rizzo
03/13/2005, 08:15 PM
OK, so I bought a house in a city, and I may not be able to financially surpport my VX's heavy thirst. As much as I don't want, I might have to get something more economical. Anyway, in the event of selling the truck, I know how difficult it is to find the right buyer. Sold a 73 superbeetle dropped, oversized motor/rims, the works.. but it took like 6 months despite the big market for those lil suckers.. as for the VX I don't know.. I have a louder exhaust, the aeroturbine, that will have to stay.. I also swapt out stock rearview for a IR backup cam and hidden lcd in the new RV which is also perminant.

This is where it gets tricky. Right now I have a computer running xm, gps, fm and tons of mp3s. I actually want to put the lcd into the stock radio din and remove the vents. Right now I can return it to stock, but if I move the lcd into the dash, it will be unlikely to restore to stock because I will also carve out my center council and put all the major computer components into it. What's everyone's take on this.. I know most of you have seen pictures and there has been minimum intress with the exception of those who have already done the same. I'm affraid a computer won't appeal to most people, especially with the fact that you can't get instant music.. and there's a far less amount of time to listen with everything burning minus engine running. Do you guys think the whole PC thing might be hurt me. I would never go back to a stock radio again, but I've gotten used to the bootup of about 45 seconds and energy constraints.

thnks fro your time

kpaske
03/13/2005, 09:02 PM
I don't think it will hurt your chances of selling the VX - in fact, it would probably improve them. I think a lot of potential VX owners plan to do mods, and if they are done right, it only adds to the uniqueness. However, I think the bigger concern is whether you'll ever recover the money you invest. If you are hoping to sell it at a high price, I don't think that adding expensive mods is going to increase your chances. If recovering the money you put into mods is not a concern, then I say go for it.

WyrreJ
03/13/2005, 09:19 PM
It depends on your timeframe. The longer you can wait for the guy who wants all the mods to show up (and will pay a premium for them) the more it is worth it.

But if you have to make a fast sale, mods of any sort tend to devalue the vehicle because it raises questions in the buyer's mind about what else you might have tinkered with (and messed up) that you aren't fessing up to.

This applies to any car, not just VXs.

Francesco Rizzo
03/13/2005, 10:37 PM
But if you have to make a fast sale, mods of any sort tend to devalue the vehicle because it raises questions in the buyer's mind about what else you might have tinkered with (and messed up) that you aren't fessing up to.

that's what I'm affraid of.. but I don't intend on selling it, selling is something I'm worried I might have to do.. I really don't care about getting my money back I already have plans for a next computer, so I guess I'll just keep doing the stupid things I'm doing and "tinker" the ***** out of it till I have to pretty much give it away.

Joe_Black
03/14/2005, 05:20 AM
I'm with WyrreJ. With all the mods you've really narrowed your potential buyer pool down to just a handful. Plus it brings into question the quality and execution of the mods. You know how well they're installed, but a potential buyer doesn't know that and will use that reasoning to lower your selling price. Think about it as a regular GA pilot who wants something a little different looking at a rarer production aircraft versus an already completed kit plane. Sure, the kit builder got his 40-hour signoff but how well is it really built? Production is a safer bet, especially for maintenance and if the buyer is thinking of having to sell it again as well. Perceived future value is better with stock.

Stock will get you the most money quick. Modded depends on the right buyer coming along, which could be while they're reading this post or next year.

I used to mod cars like crazy. But after being in the position you're in now I learned (the hard way) to never do anything that couldn't be easily put back original. When I do mods now, I try and maintain as stock an appearance as possible. If it's something that can't ever be changed you've got to be prepared up front to take the hit later on.