PDA

View Full Version : fat tires

tooldini
03/11/2003, 09:22 PM
hello I have a 99 Vx and wondered what I can do about tires.They are stock now ans suck in the snow terribly.I don't see many VX's around but the other day i saw one going the oppisite way down the street. He had just like I wanted some big fat tires on it.rims weren't really big,, but probably the stock 18's it was yellow so I assume it was 2000+. What would be the fattest and meatiest tires I could put on my stock rims? I tend to not really like so much the low profile tires on these vehicles. Thanks for any help you can offer

Jeff

Hotsauce
03/12/2003, 03:54 PM
Wider tires are worse in the snow.

John C.

xdfarrx
03/12/2003, 05:51 PM
Look @ World Rally for the tire concept. In snow and ice they rock tall, narrow tires. I live in Tahoe and when there is wet loose snow often and it can be hairy sometimes. The principle is simple. The smaller contact patch can bite better, and is less prone to floating. The tire will bite and direct its load to the hardest part of the snow, often underneath the loose stuff. It also can focus the bite on ice, especially with studs. Wide tires hydroplane in snow, and also bite less because of the surface area. WRC cars run wide, thin tires on aspahalt(no flex), and on dirt gravel run 'fat tires' on smaller rims(more flex), and on snow the tall narrow as I mentioned before. If you live in hardcore snow environment, I suggest winter setup w/ studs, and a summer package, for asphalt or whayever you run which is ideal. I don't myself but I don't think it is neccessary for me-

tooldini
03/14/2003, 09:23 PM
thanks for the info.. I guess I was mostly going on the looks for the bigger fatter tires.I don't want something that is better in snow though.

Jeff