PDA

View Full Version : Results on LED testing

Moncha
03/11/2003, 05:02 PM
I asked LEDTRONICS (https://www.netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/default.asp) if they'd provide the site a set of LED replacements for the 1156 (Turn) and 1157 (Parking/Stop) bulbs.
They happily obliged and sent 1 Red 1157 equiv and 1 Amber 1156 equiv for testing. Each is comprised of an encased 24 LED array. 18 LEDS on top facing forward and 6 pointing to the side.
I put them in and took some pitcures. I'll be doing a complete write up for the Reviews Section (http://www.vehicross.info/reviews.php) here soon.
Anyway, here's a list of pros and cons;

PROS
-- Very cool running
-- I LOVE the instant on/off ( NO ramp up)
-- The reds make the taillights match the 3rd brake light perfectly!
-- Very bright

CONS
-- Not as bright from the edges
-- NOT overall as bright as incandescent lamps (Does not fill the lamp housing with light)
-- the light IS directional in output even with the side firing lights.
-- the yellows do not have as bright a glow in the turn signal housing
-- They are pretty pricey (But, you'll never have to replace another bulb)

All in all they are not bad. There are differences but it would have to be up to personal choice to see what you'd prefer.

Here's some PICS (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1173&papass=&sort=4) for ya and a couple vids.
#1 showing the difference of the flashers (http://www.moncha.com/resources/Temp/leds/MVI_0017.avi)
#2 Showing the glow that the lights produce (http://www.moncha.com/resources/Temp/leds/MVI_0024.avi)

Cyrk
03/11/2003, 08:29 PM
Nice...

So Scott which do you prefer?

-Dave

Moncha
03/11/2003, 09:17 PM
I'm very much undecided at this point. I going to mess with them some more and see.

Cyrk
03/12/2003, 06:31 AM
Yea me too, I bought some blue LED for the horns and they just did not do it for me... ended not even using them...

TDAWG
03/12/2003, 10:57 AM
I take it that the ones on the left are the new blubs and the ones on the right are the stock blubs? I just picked up the ones from APC. These have 10 small ones and 1 lg one in the center. I'll try to put them in this weekend and see how they look and I'll post my reveiw with Pics. Keep us posted on how your toying with them works out.

Dallas4u
03/12/2003, 09:15 PM
I remember seeing some bulbs on the net that had like 10 LEDs in the middle, and something like 10 facing outward around the diameter of the entire bulb. I think this is suppose to direct the light, not only forward, but to the sides as well.

Spike
05/13/2003, 10:25 PM
I was wondering how well these LED signals work, especially since they are directional.

How about taking a very low grit sandpaper and roughen the plastic crystals up a bit? Similar to frosted glass...

I wonder if that would reduce 'some' of the directionality of the lamps?

Dallas4u
05/14/2003, 03:41 AM
Some (including myself) HAVE experimented since this post. Use the search feature and see what you come up with.

grober02
05/15/2003, 11:42 PM
I too am interested in LED replacement bulbs, but I have a question. As far as replacing the brake/parking light bulbs... the current setup is a clear incandescent 1157 bulb behind a red lens. I read before that you should match the LED bulb color with the lens cover, but wouldn't a white LED bulb produce a brighter output behind the red brake light lens versus the red LED? Just a thought, but of course, LEDs are too expensive to purchase for experimenting.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/16/2003, 12:44 AM
Suprisingly, red leds usually have a higher output than white.

WyrreJ
05/16/2003, 06:33 AM
leds are dirt cheap, just search on ebay

grober02
05/27/2003, 10:09 AM
I replaced my tail light/brake and rear signal bulbs with APC LEDs, and now my turn signals blink VERY rapidly. Any ideas as to why this is happening. All I did was replace the bulbs; I didn't mess with any wiring or fuses...

Spike
05/27/2003, 10:18 AM
A company online called SuperLumination sells a 'load' to attach to the wiring harness to preven this.

" In many cars, a load resistor is required in each turn signal position to simulate the resistance of the incandescent bulb. Many cars react with rapid flashing or no flashing in the turn signal when you install leds because the led has no resistance and the circuit thinks the bulb is burned out."

hope that helps.

Moncha
05/27/2003, 11:15 AM
I believe that the VX has a thermal style flasher, you should be able to get an electronic flasher from any auto parts store and that may solve your problem. I haven't done so yet but will probably do it soon.

nuk
11/11/2003, 08:09 PM
In what location do I put the electronic flasher after replacing the original signal bulbs with LED bulbs.:confused:

MrCrowley
11/12/2003, 04:26 PM
i like the way they illuminate instantly on and off. maybe someone could make a bigger bulb with more LED's to make it brighter

Swordy
11/25/2003, 01:11 AM
I think I'll just stick with the brighter stock bulbs, they may not last as long, but bulbs are cheap. just my .02