PDA

View Full Version : Changing the factory "driving light" bulbs?

AndyC
06/20/2002, 04:52 PM
Just a quick question I was going to just change the bulbs in my VX. I'm hoping that they are the 194 bulbs since I couldn't find any other listings. I purchased a couple set last night hyper white and a set of super bright LEDs. Any easy way in opening those lenses?

I've been looking to change them to some HID but ouch on the prices - $800 range.

Thanks,

Moncha
06/20/2002, 06:19 PM
You are correct that the bulbs are 194 style.. You can replace them with whatever "wedge" based buld you'd like. you can also find Malibu outdoor low-voltage bulbs at your local home improvement store. They are 18watt as opposed to the 2 or 5 watts for 194's. You can also just install some PIAA or Hella driving or fog lights that would fit.
To get to the round parking lights, you can get to them by going down in the space between the headlight and the grille support. you may see a piece of black foam padding covering the area. The light housing twists out and if I remember right, it's righty tighty, lefty loosey. The bulb socket also twists out separate from the housing but the wires are too short to get to without taking out the light housing also.
The best thing to do is to remove the bulb socket first, then take out the light housing (Round light, lens assembly). Poke the bulb socket out the empty hole and replace the bulb then reverse what you did to get the whole thing apart..

Tone
06/20/2002, 08:03 PM
LED lamps are very cool but very directional and do not illuminate the fluted plastic lenses on the VX very well amking the overall look a bit dimmer IMHO. 18W Malibu lamps are a great deal but do get a bit hotter - I have added them to my front and rear side indicators as flashers only and they are sooooo much brighter and hotter - I don’t know if I could leave them on as running lights without melting the plastic and certainly would not put them in the horn lights.

BTW; I will be offering a kit to add lamps to the front and/or rear side indicators. Very easy to install and very effective for safer lane changes. the bulbs point backwards towards traffic and really get people’s attention. Kits should be ready late next week.

Daver
06/20/2002, 09:52 PM
Those signal kits sound pretty cool. Maybe I'll finally send you some of my hard-earned money, Tone. :)

geshaw30
06/21/2002, 04:14 AM
Hey T...
Same here my friend. Next trip to the "big city" bring a set with you please. ......;Dr;
________
Body Science (http://bodyscience.ws/)

Rickster
06/21/2002, 09:22 AM
They make a hyper bright bulb :cool: that fits, I'll try to find my invoice where I bought them, they really look good, white instead of yellowish dull factory lights.

Rickster

Zu4two
06/22/2002, 10:38 AM
I'm using 18 watt, "N-6" hiper white bulbs from Hiper industries (www.24hiper.com) in my front round markers lamps. I successfully installed them without removing the whole light housing, just the socket. The bulbs do get quite hot, but have yet to damage the light assemblies, even after a year and a half.

Kirk
'99 astral #1372

carlymac
10/02/2002, 12:38 PM
so TONE your saying you would NOT put the malibu 18 watt bulbs in the factory sockets of the front and rear side marker lamps:confused:

Tone
10/02/2002, 02:19 PM
18w run too hot in those small spaces IMHO and the first question comes to mind is why would you want to? Those lights do not give much info to other drivers and are meant to be somewhat low key. Malibu does offer some other lower wattage bulbs if you really want to go brighter without so much heat.

carlymac
10/03/2002, 08:57 AM
TONE, in your sidemarker/ turn signal kit, do you use the factory bulbs and sockets or is there an additional socket set that has to be drilled into the marker housing? one set for steady burn and another for the flashing signal? I want side flash but don't want to drill holes in the fender for a euro side signal .

Tone
10/03/2002, 09:05 AM
Kit includes an additonal socket and bulb that mounts easily in the stock front indicator housing - you can upgrade the bulb in the kit to the 18W since it is not on long enough typically to be a problem.

Anita
10/03/2002, 03:13 PM
Me want!

paultvx
10/21/2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by carlymac
TONE, in your sidemarker/ turn signal kit, do you use the factory bulbs and sockets or is there an additional socket set that has to be drilled into the marker housing? one set for steady burn and another for the flashing signal? I want side flash but don't want to drill holes in the fender for a euro side signal .

What light(s) are we talking about here?

The fender markers? or the round useless parking lights in the bumper?

I'd like to make the fender markers blink (and lit only when blinkers are on).

Euro marker would be nice (Hella as nice LED ones). But, having both fender and euro would look a bit silly.

Moncha
10/21/2002, 07:29 AM
He's talking about the fender markers by adding an extra bulb. But, you can also get them to blink. I believe, it's actually a simple wire change/addition. See this link Daniel Stern Lighting (http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/how_to/markerflash/) .
The front marker is required in all 50 states so, be aware if you do disable the front marker light, you stand a good chance of receiving tickets and or not being able to pass saftey checks...

Tone
10/21/2002, 04:14 PM
Good link Scott - the circuit they show is a bit different as we have separate bulbs on separate circuits in 2 locations. I wanted the side markers to turn off when the blinkers were on at nite but then on during the day when the parking lights are off. I believe it would take 2 relays to do this and adding a bulb was a much cheaper way to perform a similar effect and it is working well. Anyone who tries with the relays, please post your efforts.

Moncha
10/21/2002, 04:44 PM
I've been trying to get some time to play around with this idea... I like the idea of the 2 bulbs.. But, was just trying to find other ways.. This was just one of the resources that I use with my lighting ideas... Gotta love the internet!!