PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my job

AlaskaVX
03/07/2005, 11:29 AM
Well I just lost my job this morning. I have worked here at URS for the last 5 years and now they are laying me off. I went to High Tech Institute (Arizona) and got my Tech. Associates Degree in Architecture I then moved back here to get hired with URS and have been there for the last 5 years doing civil design work.

I am debating moving down to the states after this summer :confused: . Does anyone know of any AutoCAD jobs down there in the Northwest?

maxw
03/07/2005, 11:41 AM
Very sorry to hear about it !
Wish I could help.
Best of luck Alaska!

Cyrk
03/07/2005, 11:46 AM
Blah that SUCKS... good luck.

Kahuna
03/07/2005, 11:49 AM
Everybody else says..sorry....I say CONGRATS! It means you get to open new chapter in your life....I think change is good. ENJOY your freedom to do WHAT YOU WANT!

Soulpower
03/07/2005, 12:13 PM
Check the following:

AIA website
careerbuilder.com

I know in the Chicago area theres always 10-25 companies hiring. Good Luck!!!

Y33TREKker
03/07/2005, 02:35 PM
Not sure what part of the northwest you're interested in, but I searched for AutoCad related positions in Washington state on www.Flipdog.com and came up with 36 possibles. www.jobsearch.org returned even more openings for the same area. Both of those sites are searchable by either state, city, zip code, or keyword.

I also agree with Kahuna. While it may not seem like it at the moment, this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Best of luck.

Ldub
03/07/2005, 03:58 PM
Dude,
Sorry to hear the bad news, but Kahuna is right on the $.One door closes & another opens.
The last job I got laid off from bummed me bad, but the next place that was lucky (LOL) enough to hire me, is an infinitely better place to work & I'm still there after 8 yrs.
Hope you find something good!

Ldub

yal^
03/07/2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Alaska, cheer up.
I know it feels very scary right now, but things will work out. 6 months ago I was told by my manager that if I "don't like the treatment the door is right there". So after four years on the job out that door I went. I never looked back. Even though I thought it was the end of the world. I think I was hysterical for a week. Then, within five weeks I was up and working again. Full time, with benefits, and doing what I do best.
Go with your gut feeling. If you think this is time to come back to lower 48, do it. Remember you have "family" all over the place. We are here to support you wherever you land. :luck:

Heraclid
03/07/2005, 04:41 PM
Sorry to hear that and I wish you the best. The others are right - sometimes these kinds of kicks in the pants are a real blessing in disguise. And you're willing to relocate, which is super. Most people are not willing to move around a lot for work, and that's a real career limiter.

NC_VX
03/07/2005, 05:26 PM
AlaskaVX, I've always enjoyed your posts and pictures... We've never met, but my heart goes out to you.

I was feeling really down when I lost my job and the circumstances in which I lost it made it worse. While I feel my work situation starting to improve, no matter what I will always be greatful for the 3 weeks I went without a job. During that time I finally had a chance to get to know my then 3 month old son. Now I get countless smiles from him and he always wants his daddy and gives me the biggest laughs of anyone. That was a blessing in disguise that I would have never imagined.

Anyway, good luck on the job hunt and keep up the spirits!

AnalogVX
03/07/2005, 08:54 PM
Yea, goodluck in your search. I really hate where I'm at and think of walking all the time. Guess I should be lucky I still am gainfully employed.

mbeach
03/07/2005, 08:59 PM
There's an AutoCad position up in North Pole with a place called Koch (Industries or something). I found it on America's Job Bank, and I believe that it's posted on Monster (do an Engineering search).

I was looking at it for myself (moving back to Alaska ASAP), but it sounds like you can get there faster.

Good Luck.