PDA

View Full Version : DENSO Iridium plugs...

Cyrk
03/07/2005, 07:52 AM
Ordered a set for my SC VX, been reading great reviews on these with turbo and Supercharged applications... I am currently running Bosch +4 plugs they have been a nice upgrade but I want a pure performance plug and Iridium is the way to go. I was talking to Gadget about what he is running on his SC 4runner... he recommend them also, he has a very informative site check it: http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm

He just sent me this email:
We stock stuff or Toyota trucks. However, I just looked up your truck in the DENSO guide and found it takes the same plug as we carry.

Stock heat range is the DENSO IK16

One step cooler is the DENSO IK20

Two steps cooler is the DENSO IK22

I would go with the IK22 if you are supercharged. That is what we use in all the Toyota supercharged trucks and they are great. You can order those off of the URD site. www.URDUSA.com

Just order a set of the Two steps cooler plugs, Will let you know how it goes. They told me that they run great in Toyota SC engines and I should be pleased with the upgrade... was also told to adjust to the stock gap, anyone know what that is? [I]Wait just found it Spark plug gap: 0.040 in. (1.05mm)

mbeach
03/07/2005, 09:06 PM
I used Denso Iridiums in my Vishnu WRX. They were only 1 step colder (HR7), when pushing 21 pounds of boost. I pulled them to check their condition after 20k miles and they looked like new. I even ran extremely rich (most WRX's do -I was almost 8:1 at 6000rpm) most of the time.

I would recommend these to anyone doing forced induction. I don't know about going two heat ranges colder, especially with such modest amounts of boost, but I suppose the Toyota guys know what they are doing though.

Cyrk
03/08/2005, 05:56 AM
The more I am reading I think the 2 step cooler plugs are overkill for just 5psi... going to see if I can get the one step cooler (IK20's) instead if my order has not already shipped. Might be fine in the Toyota's motors but who knows in our Isuzu motors what will work better... Time to play guinea pig.

Cyrk
03/14/2005, 06:18 AM
Got the plugs and installed them this weekend... They did not need to be gapped as they were all at 0.040, which is stock on the VX. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the increase throttle and there is an extra crispness in my exhaust note. The VX kinda dies out at 100 but had much more pull passed it and was able to hit 115 with no problem.

Around town the VX seemed to shift smoother and pull harder. I was running Bosch +4 and had this weird idle problem at start up that these plugs eliminated. I would definitely recommend these plugs to any SC VXer looking for and improvement over stock spark plugs or platinums.

On the box is says it improves 0-60 times by 0.07 sec, and on the site talks about 4 HP added on the dyno. Not sure how accurate this is but my butt feels a difference. Again I went with the One step cooler - DENSO IK20.

Very happy with my $78.94 investment.

james1_10018
03/14/2005, 12:44 PM
what do you guys suggest for Non- SC VXs

James

Cyrk
03/14/2005, 12:58 PM
I would try the DENSO IRIDIUM IK16...
http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0089&Category_Code=Plugs

Denso's listing for the VX:
http://www.iridiumpower.com/find_part.php?type=auto&autoYear=1999&make=ISUZU&action=Search

Ruflyf
03/24/2006, 08:26 AM
Hey cyrk, was wondering why "cooler" is better in the combustion chamber, I am needing new plugs and trying to decide betwen the 20's or 22's. i have a s/c with a 5psi pulley. I will probably get the 20's since you are satified, just confused on the "why cooler is better" part.

Cyrk
03/24/2006, 08:43 AM
To lower the temperature of the combusting air and fuel is to run cooler heat range spark plugs. Many supercharger manufacturers will recommend cooler plugs for supercharged engines. Go with the IK20, 22 is way overkill.

Tone
03/24/2006, 08:48 AM
I'm running 16 of these in my AMG and they rock. Alpine does NOT recommend a cooler plug with their SC kit.