PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in park! Help

Dirty Dave
03/07/2005, 07:49 AM
I have been having problems with the button on my shift lever engaging. my vx is now stuck in park in my driveway. An isuzu tech told me to move my tilt steering up & down, i dont see what this will do. is this an electrical problem with the brake relay(fuse?). Can any one help? My vx is on flat ground, and rocking it has no effect.
dave

Moncha
03/07/2005, 11:03 AM
Is the button able to be depressed at all? There is a linkage that may need to be adjusted. You'll find it under the shifter console. WHen you depress the brake, do you hear a click?

Dirty Dave
03/07/2005, 03:26 PM
I opened the console and looked at the linkage. on the passenger side there is a blue platic piece that moves up, when the button begins to depress. this piece is stopped by a small metal plate (parallel to the ground) that protrudes from the main "box". i manually pushed this metal piece in to give full range to the blue plastic lever. now it seems to be working fine(will not engage without brake depressed) but im pretty sure it will happen again. i will try to get some pics. should i check the wiring? wd40 if it seems to get stuck?
thanks for the help
dave

Locomigo
03/07/2005, 04:15 PM
This is an easy fix...

Replace the brake light fuse.

Thanks to the idiot Volvo drivers that made the park-brake interlock mandate requirement.

Good luck.

it is NOT a mechanical linkage. You dont need to do ANYTHING beyond the brake light fuse... could also be labelled tail lights...

Raque Thomas
03/07/2005, 04:22 PM
There was a post some time ago about using a heavier spring in the shift knob to avoid this, that included some great instructions, as well as part numbers for making the modification - wish I had time to look it up, but I don't. Not sure the best way to try to look it up, but the post was very thorough in its instructions and should take care of your problems - maybe someone here will come forward as the one who posted it...

Locomigo
03/08/2005, 04:27 PM
Verdict is???

shoota77
03/08/2005, 05:32 PM
mine was stuck a while ago too...i just jiggled the poop out of it and it started working again. can't hurt to try, nice and cheap! :p