PDA

View Full Version : Access to the rear speakers?

JAFO
03/10/2003, 09:33 AM
Can someone tell me how the grills for the rear speakers come off? I tried pulling on them but not hard as I didn't want to dent or bend them.

Do they have tabs that are hooked in the back so that you must remove the whole pannel to release them?

Moncha
03/10/2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by JAFO
Do they have tabs that are hooked in the back so that you must remove the whole pannel to release them?

Yes.

JAFO
03/10/2003, 11:17 AM
It looks like there is an upper and lower panel is this correct?

Also is there screws some where or are there just clips that hold the pannels in place?

Any suggestions on a good starting location? Thanks!

SPAZZ
03/10/2003, 11:35 AM
Rear panels are held in place by plastic pieces. They pop in or out and seem to come out easier when heated up, but not too much. Almost like sun light for about 20 minutes.

SU-Vehi
03/11/2003, 09:40 AM
The panel looks like its in two pieces but it will come off all in one piece. All in all it can be a pain in the ***, but well worth it once you get your new speakers in there. Also if you increase your speaker size make sure you break off the plastic that's on the panel as it may rub up against your speaker surround.

JAFO
03/11/2003, 11:40 PM
At first the only reason I had to access the rear speakers is so that I can hook up my amp to the stock sound system. I'm happy with the stock setup but I have two 8" subs from my Jeep. I know some have posted that they thought it was bad, but to them I would say that it is a lot better than my stock Jeep Wrangler's.

Anyways in the future, if I can find a place to put a second amp, I may want to swap out the stock speakers for 6.5" components up front and something else in the rear.

So I guess my first question is: Are the pannels hard enough to remove that if I pull them off I should go ahead and replace the speakers when I do?

Second: What is the largest speaker size I can go front and rear without modifications? Stock is 5 1/4" front and 4" rear, is this right.

Also those with modified systems where do you find room for the amps? I don't want to get too carried away with filling up the cargo space.

VCAMILO
03/12/2003, 09:00 AM
I just took my VX apart to Dynamat the whole thing. (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003975.html) I think the front speakers are 6-1/2" and the rear are 4" Im sure you can fot something bigger in there. Just take a look @ the pics I posted. But when you put all the panels back buy some new white push clips to put the panels back. I bent a few of them and they never set in right again. The just keep poping out. The dealer wants a buck a piece! WOW! My Amp is underneath the driver seat. Im sure you can squeeze another Amp under the passanger seat if you move the computer over and cut the hard foam. Yes I had to cut the driver side hard foam and remove the plate behind the seat @ the bottom.

JAFO
03/13/2003, 12:52 PM
VCAMILO, thanks for the information. I took a look at the link but the photos don't come up. By chance do you still have them around?

Disregard this post. I went to the link when I got home and they display on my wome compter. My work computer must have had an error. Thanks, again for the information.

Navigator
03/14/2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by VCAMILO
... The dealer wants a buck a piece! WOW! ...

You can get a bag of 25 for less than $4.00 here http://www.autobodysupplies.safeshopper.com/13/cat13.htm?308 It's a shame how dealerships take advantage of customers. 1 dollar a piece is robbery.

Gussie2000
02/28/2008, 04:40 PM
I though the same thing about the rear metal plate panel behind the passenger seat,but not to place an amp instead of that place an CD changer

But instead to getting rid of that metal panel i'll attatch two small hinges at the top side of the panel & use it as protection door for the CD changer,that'll void any one in the rear seat to accidentally "kick" the changer.

Since i'm an electronic tech i'm very inclined to make a lots of mods but time is frustrating short.

I will use the trunk space to place in a enclouse with two sub & two amps there's no space for the CD changer,beside that it should be unconfortable to being in & out to exchange CD's don't you think ?

I really want to add a over head console with thermo & clock & some storage,two cup holders should be great too,but no idea where they should go.

Don't want ot make to many mods on the dash,actually i haven't do any,only add a magnetic cellphone holder right in the middle of the two AC/heater vents at the center with crazy glue.:p

Bulldoggie
02/28/2008, 07:00 PM
I know some have posted that they thought it was bad, but to them I would say that it is a lot better than my stock Jeep Wrangler's.

It's the best sounding car audio I have ever owned, but my head unit was upgraded to an Eclipse unit with Aux input, which I use for ipod :thumbup:

Gussie2000
02/28/2008, 09:36 PM
I went i bit further,switch the OEM cassette radio & CD changer for a kenwood cassette player with remote in the upper din & an spectrum EQ where the changer goes,looks quite good.my last stage to complete the task is replacing the speaker,but the rear panels seems to be difficult to deal with.

That have to hold on until after winter is over,too cold;eekb; out there to perform that job,plus one of the amps came with an issue & had it return to sony for exchange :rolleyes:

As soon i have done i'll post few pics to you guys.

;)