PDA

View Full Version : interesting fact

GOVEHIX
03/05/2005, 11:15 PM
accidentally discovered one interesting fact about our alarm remotes. which is to attaching the remote to your chin will actually double the range of the remote. i guess this has something to do with our body's magnetism :p

i read one thread earlier ago about replacing the watch battery for the remote will increase the range, and i did that mod. which works great ( actually i stick in two watch batteries instead of one), and with the method above, now i can un/lock my vx at over 40 feet away from it. much much better than the stock remote's range, 5~10 feet.

also, this works on other vehicles too.

mrtew
03/06/2005, 06:21 AM
Describe this watch battery mod a little more. That sounds very interesting.

kpaske
03/06/2005, 09:24 AM
I've heard about the "remote on the chin" idea too, but I still haven't decided if it really works or if it's just urban legend. The theory is that your head acts as an antenna and sort of amplifies the signal. I've always wondered how smart it is to shoot radio waves into your skull, with all the talk of cell phones causing brain tumors, but then again, I've been doing it for so long it's sort of a habit. If the first press of the button doesn't unlock the VX, stick in up to my chin and try again.

The battery mod I believe was just to switch out the original battery for a lithium of the same size.

WyrreJ
03/06/2005, 09:43 AM
The chin definitely works, I've tested it by holding the remote in front of my chin and touching my chin while facing my VX and walking towards it. When the remote started working while touching my chin, it would still not work in front. I got about 5-10 more feet of range touching chin.

GOVEHIX
03/06/2005, 10:44 AM
this is the thread i read:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6254&highlight=lithium+battery

the guy said the lithium watch battery he changed is part number #2032, which can last 250 hours. but i found out that any kind of lithium battery works far better than the stock ones. (i just switched my LED keychain's battery with the stock ones, and they are not even lithiums)

I've always wondered how smart it is to shoot radio waves into your skull, with all the talk of cell phones causing brain tumors,

i guess you are right with that sort of matter, but since there are so many kind of radio waves we been obtaining in our daily life, (like cell phone, TV, computer monitors...) i don't think this little idea is gonna do us much harm.

AnalogVX
03/06/2005, 11:43 AM
You need to be REALLY careful and keep your mouth closed while doing this. Otherwise the FCC will step in and confiscate your remotes for interfering with air traffic!. :D

Heraclid
03/06/2005, 07:30 PM
Well, this isn't real scientific, but it worked for me. Got about double the range. LOL!