PDA

View Full Version : question for Tone

Sheik-YurBooty
03/04/2005, 09:25 PM
confused: :confused: :confused: In one of your recent replys to a thread, you stated that driving in 3rd is best for city driving. I can see your point, but at what point does one put it into drive? In other words, at what speed should one shift to drive w/o doing harm to the tranny......Oh by the way, I took your advice & removed the restrictive elbow & dropped in a Green air filter. Once again you were right on the money. I noticed immediatly the difference in the throttle response at both low & high speeds. Once again, thank you O' Wise One !!! "You da Man".....Bruce :thumbup: :thumbup:

GOVEHIX
03/05/2005, 08:50 AM
whats the part number for the green air filter?

Heraclid
03/05/2005, 09:13 AM
Just did a casual internet search, so assuming this is the site...

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/vehicle.asp?id=1999&sale=Isuzu&make=Vehicross

This is the panel filter (drop-in for stock airbox). Tone has a better price on them. $69.

EDIT: website is correct - Tone had a link to it in his post when he made them available for the better price.

Moncha
03/05/2005, 03:49 PM
but at what point does one put it into drive? In other words, at what speed should one shift to drive w/o doing harm to the tranny......

All the position of "DRIVE" does, is it allows the transmission to shift into overdrive after a period of time of a constant speed and engine rpm (Not specific on either). Once the transmission senses a change where it needs to down shift it will do so. While in city driving there is a lot of stop and go, during this time it is still able to shift into overdrive (Even at very low speeds) which makes it shift in and out of overdrive more often. The position of 3rd keeps the transmission from engaging the overdrive and allows for a better response by allowing the engine to be at a little higher rpm. The stop and go of city driving causes the transmission to shift a lot but keeping it out of overdrive just makes it work less by not allowing to shift through all 4 gears as often.
There is no actual "speed" that is better to shift it into drive than others, it's more a matter of how long you will be driving at a constant speed.. The longer you will be at any given speed is an opportunity to let the engine and transmssion relax by using the overdrive. Help?

Sheik-YurBooty
03/05/2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your response Moncha, but what happens if Im in 3rd & then go on the highway & do an average of 60 mph for a distance of 10 miles w/o putting it into drive, do the fact that its easy to forget to put it in drive once Im on the road? Will this do harm to my VX? :confused: :confused:

Moncha
03/05/2005, 04:56 PM
No harm. All you'll do is cause the engine to run at a higher RPM (Yes, higher the RPM the more wear over the very long run). The suffering will come from your wallet, higher RPM = more fuel consumed.

Heraclid
03/05/2005, 05:25 PM
I keep mine in the 3 position most of the time lately, since most of what I do is 45-50 mph and under and a good amount of stop and go. It definitely revs a little high beyond those speeds out on the highway, and usually the speed is more constant then, so I use the D position there. Another benefit to using 3 in stop and go traffic is the engine braking. I find myself not tapping the brake pedal so much and generally not having to get on the brakes as hard.

Sheik-YurBooty
03/05/2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks again guys. Just one more thing, can this all be done in the power mode? I never tried using it :confused: :confused:

Moncha
03/05/2005, 05:42 PM
Power mode only changes when the transmission will shift, a little more aggressive when on.. I've never NOT had mine on save on absolutely flat open ground. It will shift a little more when used on the hiway.

Sheik-YurBooty
03/05/2005, 07:43 PM
:yes: Thanks for your help. As you can see, the smile tells it all. Thanks again, Bruce