PDA

View Full Version : Moab VX only run Trail Selection

Tone
03/09/2003, 06:26 PM
I’ve been talking with Todd, who will be leading the VX only run, and thought we’d let the majority decide on which of 2 trails to run. Trail descriptions really mean nothing to someone who has not been to Moab and trail ratings mean little until you’ve driven them. Todd does chose trails for the scenic beauty, not for the challenge and he has led the previous years’ VX only runs without incident.

If you are attending, please select one of the following trails:

• Hells Revenge (tip toe) - rated 3+
• Shafers - rated 2.5
Shafers will require everyone to enter and pay a $10 fee to Canyonlands National Park.

>>> Added Gallery Link (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=540&thumb=1) for this event....WSG

Moncha
03/09/2003, 07:48 PM
Here's a link showing Hell's Revenge (http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/ut/moab01/hr/)

And Shafer's (http://www.littlehouse.homestead.com/Shafer.html)

There's more but this is what I found so far

My vote is for Hell's Revenge..

VX crazy
03/10/2003, 05:13 AM
Well here is my vote, I think Schaffers looks pretty! The Hells revenge pictures definitely look frightening! I prefer Schaffers.

Vasha13
03/10/2003, 05:21 AM
I vote for Schaffer's also (preferably with bypasses for water crossings so my VX won't be tempted to go 'swimming' again! Just kidding! ;Do; )

BumbleV-X
03/10/2003, 06:20 AM
I really believe you all would be quite surprised how your VX handles a 3+ run. This is on a scale of 1-5, and I don't believe there are any less than a 2.5 in Moab. The womens only run last year was a 2.5. The trail was a basic dirt road.... THAT'S IT! Actually I think there was a rock in the road that gave it that extra .5 to frighten us women. My vote would be for the 3+ run. Last year I don't think we did anything under a 3.5, and there was only one that made my hair stand up and that was an option. Stock VX's can take it, they did last year.

Deby

Tone
03/10/2003, 12:03 PM
Now I remember Hell’s Revenge - fantastic trail with lots of slick rock. Starts out right next to Lion’s Back, where the Bronco lost it’s brakes, but is considerably milder than that while offering excellent views and some challenges. I was definitely wanting to do this one again as the trail leader I had last year was less than ideal. I DID do Tip Over Challenge when we stopped for lunch and I know why it is named that! It’s an option for the adventurous.

Tip Toe refers to the easier way through this trail and I see no problems for stock VXes.

VX crazy
03/10/2003, 02:03 PM
Ya'll would know better than I, since I have not been and just have scary pics to look at! I will do anything that ya'll have done in the past without incident, but I surely don't want to do what that ramcharger did, loosing the brakes!!

Moncha
03/10/2003, 02:50 PM
With our tight suspension, the VX may have made that drop :rollo2: (Kidding)

A lot of the time the pictures don't do justice. Unfortunately, they make easy look difficult and vice versa.

If there is doubt, the trail leaders will (Should) let you know.

VXMAN
03/10/2003, 02:55 PM
Never been to Moab, I want to see & do all I can! I'm game for anything. I have slightly bigger tires, nothing else! Let's do it!
Dave...;Dr;

01 Dragon
03/10/2003, 07:46 PM
Well I like the look of Shaefers, looks like some beautiful scenery however I also like the chanllenge and if Tone says
a stock VX can cope .......IM IN!!!

WHY cant we do one trail oneday and the other the next...?

Stay cool everyone...talk soon,
Tom ;Db;

Tone
03/10/2003, 07:59 PM
That is what is so nice about Moab, there are MANY other trails to choose from when registration opens. This is is a pre event deal for only VXes and has been great fun each year with out incident. By all means choose the trails that interest you but again it is hard to know excaactly what the descriptions mean if you have not been before. The intent is of Moab is to have fun, NOT damage rigs or test the outter limits. Breakage is BAD for everyone and is something I too want to avoid at all costs. I will be running essentially stock as well with only different tires, but even the stock Bridegsestones out did my other tires last year!

>>>> Fixed text...WSG

webdog
03/10/2003, 08:40 PM
I did Tip Toe Through Hell with Tone and others last year with my almost stock VX. My only MOD was Yokohama AVS S/T tires. Others did it with stock VXs and other Isuzu models. The pictures on the web site are the hardest parts of the full "Hell's Revenge". "Tip Toe" allows a bypass around those obstacles.

This run will let you see what the VX can do. Some straight up and down stuff will amaze you and increase your pucker factor a notch or two. Very doable for these vehicles. Spectacular views and company are included.

Tone, my TOD started intermittently going into 50/50 with the front indicator bars all lit up today. I was driving on straight, dry, paved roads after a mountain drive through mud and snow. After a search of the Club Vmag site, I saw that the speed sensors could be the problem. The front tire indicators also flash on and off some of the time. I will be taking it to my dealer soon but would be interested in any further input. :confused:

SPAZZ
03/11/2003, 09:35 AM
Definitely count me in for the revenge, if i'm not choking on Anthrax by then in the middle east. ;Dp;

BumbleV-X
03/11/2003, 04:29 PM
SPAZZZZZZZ?????
Anthrax? Middle East? San Diego? Navy or Marine?

nocturnalVX
03/12/2003, 11:15 AM
My VX took on trails rated 3 - 3.5 last year, and did fine with the stock 18" tires. I think doing a more difficult trail is easier when following a bunch of VXes rather than a line of locked & lifted Troops/Rodeos/Amigos (if they made it, so can I). If you want to take an easier or more scenic trail, that can be done durring the official event.

Anita
03/13/2003, 02:39 PM
I'll go wherever someone points me.

Within reason...:rotate:

TucsonVX
03/13/2003, 05:52 PM
If you are not carefull in moab your truck will suffer, I was up there last oct. and was following some fixed up rigs thru tip toe thru the canyons, some of the rigs went down this waterfall, I followed some of the other rigs around the bypass. An inexpereinced guide was directing the rigs thru the bypass, I was following her hand signals to get thru when I heard this loud bang as my back wheel fell in between the rocks my wheels should of been on. Good thing are Vehi-Cross's have good skid plates or my gas tank would of been dripping gas all the way back to Tucson:warn: :warn: :warn: :warn: :flame: :flame:

TucsonVX
03/13/2003, 06:29 PM
I forgot to say that My Vehicross was the only one at this event. Their were many amigos, rodeos and troopers and one jeep cherokee. Most of these rigs were very modified and could not be legally driven on the street.

The other rigs were very impressed how well my stock vhecross handled all the terrain.:cool:

SPAZZ
03/13/2003, 10:40 PM
Bumble, that is Marine at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego. Been in for 7 1/2 years. Right now I landed a swet job of filing peoples taxes for them. Learn a lot, but get a little tired of peoples' stupidity or if politically correct "Naivity". Serious, you wouldn't belive what some people say or do when it copmes to tax time!!!;eekp;

BumbleV-X
03/13/2003, 11:20 PM
Could this be right? We already have 19 votes for the VX only run? That would mean that there are at least 19 VX's going. There doesn't seem to be an accurate count as to the total number of people going, but I believe 19 beats any record in Moab. This is going to be fun :)

TimG
03/14/2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BumbleV-X
Could this be right? We already have 19 votes for the VX only run? That would mean that there are at least 19 VX's going. There doesn't seem to be an accurate count as to the total number of people going, but I believe 19 beats any record in Moab. This is going to be fun :)

I was wondering the same thing. 15 people reporting that they are going. 20 people currently voting on the trail choice.
Maybe the extra 5 are people that are thinking about going, but they aren't sure if they'll be able to go.

SPAZZ
03/14/2003, 11:35 AM
I will go, but if work won't allow, then I won't be. So that should straighten out my absence or pressence

phines
03/14/2003, 04:49 PM
For those who are a little worried about Hell's Revenge, I just want to re-assure them that it is absolutely no problem for a stock VX. I rode that trail twice last year and, at the time, my VX was actually sitting about 2 inches lower than stock. (My worn out torsion bars had the front end sagging quite a bit.) Although I've only been on 7 of the trails in Moab, I do feel like Hell's Revenge was by far the COOLEST! :cool:
________
KAWASAKI ZN1100B (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_ZN1100B)

BumbleV-X
04/08/2003, 05:28 PM
I've been reading about both trails. I voted for the tougher of the two trails, however Shafers trail does look more scenic.
I've got a good idea that would settle this debate. Todd and Linda Adams are some WONDERFUL people(yes, I'm bias, I like them). They were awesome trail leaders last year, and made it a learning experience too. They are both members of the Red Rock 4wheel Club in Moab. They know their trails.

I say they should choose the trail they want to lead us through. Todd wont do us wrong. He knows the capabilities of the VX (he drives an Ironman). He wont lead you into rocks or bushes. It might be eye opening, but you can do it. I guarantee it will be fun!

As I understand it they will not be staying for the "event", because of prior commitments in Cedar City(I wanna be there too). They are willing to show up for the VX only run. So, hats off, and 3 cheers for the Adams'.

Thanks you two.

Deby

Swordy
04/09/2003, 10:05 AM
I agree Deby, but They are the ones that gave us the choice. I hope we choose the harder one though. I'll be sure to bring a tone str...,, oops tow strap. ( j/k bud)

Reg Hinnant
04/09/2003, 09:03 PM
Todd knows this area blindfolded. You can rest assured that anyone with him will see some of the more interesting areas and will be assisted thru the rough spots if needed.
Excellent trail leader!

Todd Adams
04/24/2003, 07:58 PM
25 VX's? is this real? and I didn't even vote! I will have to take out a permit with the BLM! On second thought I guess they will have to catch me. :rolleyes:

I was thinking... We will be in Moab early since we have to leave on Wed. Driving in from Delta Utah on Sunday. If there are enough of us on Monday afternoon we could do a short trial. Play it by ear. :dance:

Todd

Moncha
04/24/2003, 08:12 PM
Todd!! Hey man it's been so long!

I don't like to see that Noobee title under your name... I could fix that ya know? I'm in good with the boss :naughty:

If we and the Texas detail and get going early enough, we could make it in around 3-4pm or a little earlier.. Would that work for a short sight seeing trip?

Can't wait to see you and Linda again.. We missed you guys last year!

Reg Hinnant
04/24/2003, 09:29 PM
I will also be coming into Moab on Sunday. I was considering going over La Sal & Geyser Pass Monday.
Thats providing we are not too tired of being in the truck for 2200 miles

Moncha
05/04/2003, 07:40 AM
Link to Gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=540&thumb=1) when you need it.