PDA

View Full Version : TOD disconnect switches...

Cyrk
03/03/2005, 09:57 AM
Ok finally got some part numbers on the switches... Tad (Nazrat) has these on his VX happened to see a pic and got all excited as I am running my disconnect to a fog light switch.

Pic of the switches, from Tad's VX.
http://tad2.grosvenor.org/albums/VXMods/CIMG1016.sized.jpg

Switch; 4WD, for vehicles with out TOD (says 4WD):

Switch; Transfer, for vehicles with TOD (says 4WD/AUTO):

Each one is $70.87 from St Charles.

SpaceTruck'n
03/03/2005, 10:42 AM
Very profesional. Not 1/2 assed at ALL!
" Loves It"

Thats what Ive been wating for.
It looks so slick ( almost like it was made for it Ha, Ha,) I'm there dude! I even have an extera hole for one as I ran my alarm led to the dome light . :cool:

But I have a dumb question: how come there are two of them? 4WD AND Auto 4WD? :confused:

I just want to make it auto ON/OFF. I cant WAIT to spin brodys in the dirt!

Nazrat
03/03/2005, 05:12 PM
There are two because I have TOD on/off and 50/50 mode (4-high) on/off.

Oh, and despite the fact that they look too light in the pic, without a camera flash they are the same color as the other switches.

-Tad

Raque Thomas
03/03/2005, 06:45 PM
OK, is that $70.87 for both of them as in each or really both of them? Any new directions for this mod, or if I do a search will your directions come up? I know there has been some discussion on this topic here over the past several months - just want to be sure I have all the info, because this is next on my list (although I should have done it this winter!). I guess you are using the 4WD Auto switch to turn TOD off and on, and the 4WD switch to lock 4WD high? Any problems/concerns with this arrangement?

Francesco Rizzo
03/03/2005, 07:39 PM
so I have no clue how to do this shhhhtuff, what wires do I cut when I get the switch?

SpaceTruck'n
03/03/2005, 10:06 PM
There are two because I have TOD on/off and 50/50 mode (4-high) on/off.

Oh, and despite the fact that they look too light in the pic, without a camera flash they are the same color as the other switches.

-Tad

Im there dude! :cool:

(Sigh) Someday.
When I get the time, and the neighborhood assn. will get off my ***. :mad:

VehiCrazy
03/04/2005, 05:25 AM
Please post some instructions on how to run the wiring for the switches!

Nazrat
03/04/2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/109

The wiring is fairly simple. The "hard" part is getting the wiring to match up with the relay(s) that you use.

The general idea is this:

Wire the 50/50 switch to a 12V fused source and then to a relay. In the normal position that relay connects the TOD clutch to the TOD off switch. (more on that later). The other leg of the relay is connected to 12V positive (again switched). That way when the 50/50 switch is off, the TOD clutch is still connected to the TOD computer via the TOD off switch. When you turn on the 50/50 switch it then connects the TOD clutch to 12V positive (and disconnects the TOD computer, turning on the check TOD light).

The TOD off switch is connected as others have documented here in the forum. You'll need a resistor to connect to the TOD computer when you disconnect the TOD clutch. That way the check TOD light doesn't turn on.

The only real addition that I've made is to connect that setup to the dash lights. If you disconnect the yellow wire that leads into the TOD display, the TOD display will go dark. For me I used an extra NC contact on my relay to switch that yellow wire (which is ground for those of you who care). That way when I turn off TOD (2wd mode) the TOD display goes dark. With yet another relay I probably could have turned on the rear wheel lights only, but that's more work than it was worth for me. It was just an added bonus that I could turn off the TOD lights with the relay that I had. I also added a light to indicate when 50/50 mode is on. That light is in the gauge cluster and is labelled something like ATP. It was the only unused light spot on the cluster. All I did was put a bulb in it and wire the bulb to the output of the 50/50 switch.

-Tad

VehiCrazy
03/04/2005, 02:17 PM
Thanx!

vehicros
04/27/2005, 08:52 AM
Anyone have a detailed document describing how to add a TOD disable switch, with drawings/phots ?

crager34
04/27/2005, 11:33 AM
I would love to do this mod. I feel the winter drive mode is pretty much useless, because it shuts off automatically when you hit 22 mph. In my experience, having the TOD on during the winter is just fine. Now.. does having the TOD off increase the gas mileage?

MZ-N10
04/27/2005, 12:01 PM
disconnecting tod should not increase gas mileage....something about teh front axle
________
condominiums sale Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)