PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is the antithesis of the VX?

wekilled
03/01/2005, 09:17 PM
Couldnt find a poll on the site for this. I'll go first.

I think the PT Cruiser is it. The next Cadillac for not-quite-senior citizens. Its got everything, a Neon chassis and a toned-down "safe" plastic nostalgic version of the cool rods of yesteryear. (If you own one dont take it personally-I am occasionally forced to drive my wifes Kia mini van.) THAT sucks!

thebear54
03/02/2005, 04:52 AM
The ultimate would have to be the KIA Rio. The ultimate city/commuter vehicle...no fun at all. :p
John

Tyler
03/02/2005, 08:21 AM
I'd say that 2 door Suzuki, not Samurai, (X something) that had the removable top and 2 seats. Those make me laugh.

Ty

jim.LR>AR
03/02/2005, 08:30 AM
i don't know what antithesis is :p :p :confused:

Lisa K
03/02/2005, 09:38 AM
The GEO!!! :p

mbeach
03/02/2005, 10:07 AM
The RAV4. Especially the 2-door ones. I had a guy(?) driving one give me the thumbs-up the other day. I was afraid to acknowledge him, so I just kept on pickin' my nose.

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/02/2005, 06:06 PM
antithesis: The direct or exact opposite...

I think that the direct opposite of the VehiCROSS is the Infinity FX35 (V6)...or FX45 (V8).

The VX is a 2-door, Off-road capable 4X4 with decent street smarts when left stock (no lift).

The FX is a 4-door On-road capable AWD (Car&Driver says almost indistinquishable from Nissan 350Z when behind the wheel) with minimal off-road abilities.

I'd love to own both!

WyrreJ
03/02/2005, 07:06 PM
Don't forget the Mojo Nixon definition of antithesis: The Evil Anti-Elvis.

Clearly the evil anti-vx is the hummer-2 - boxy, bulky, strong yuppie appeal, worse gas mileage, even more over-priced, bad on-road handling.

Heraclid
03/02/2005, 09:03 PM
I don't know. It's hard to say because there are just so many variables. I think the Suzuki X90 isn't different enough from the VX. It's a 2-door 4WD vehicle that is, by most accounts, fun to drive. But then again some who've had other cars I'm about to list claimed to love 'em too. The FX35 and FX45 have the sporty, bold styling thing in common with the VX. Both are arguably still SUV's.

Yugo... in a head-on with a moped, you'd lose, and it was about the LEAST rugged thing ever put on the road. They did have rear window heat to keep your hands warm while you pushed, though. 0-60 in 14.0 sec, 60-0 braking in something around 200 ft for this car is very unimpressive. 4 cyl, 50 hp. About 30 mpg ain't bad, but it is way worse than it should be for THIS car.

Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift. A whopping 55 hp 3-cyl engine, 45-50 mpg, plain as can be, also a 14 sec car and also a car most everything else would obliterate.

Subaru Justy - pretty pitiful, about 75 hp, but it was available in 4WD...

Ford Explorer - yeah, it's a SUV and all, but when you're this commonplace, this plain-looking and consistently rated one of the worst SUV's for off-road use, you're not anything much like a VX.

The perfect antithesis for the VX probably needs to be...

relatively common
fuel-efficient
very plain-looking
fragile and horrible for off-road use
a car (or car-based/unibody)
a poor-handling vehicle
generally not fun to drive

Ldub
03/02/2005, 09:13 PM
Jeez Heraclid, I think you just described my first wifes Ford Granada! :p

nocturnalVX
03/02/2005, 11:39 PM
The perfect antithesis for the VX probably needs to be...

relatively common
fuel-efficient
very plain-looking
fragile and horrible for off-road use
a car (or car-based/unibody)
a poor-handling vehicle
generally not fun to drive

Can you say minivan? I knew you could! ;puke2; They may be truck-based, but otherwise they fit. No-fun, practical, dime-a-dozen vehicles that (even if they came AWD) would not fare well in Moab.

thebear54
03/03/2005, 03:50 AM
I voted earlier for the KIA Rio(vote still stands) but...has anyone ever heard of a DAF Daffodil? 2 cylinder, 30 horsepower, 0-60 in (I'll let you do the math ;) , 2 door, automatic/variomatic transmission. I have one:http://vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/1190DAF-1962.jpg . Luckily it will be only a show car when I get finished, not a daily driver.
John

Heraclid
03/03/2005, 03:15 PM
Can you say minivan? I knew you could! They may be truck-based, but otherwise they fit. No-fun, practical, dime-a-dozen vehicles that (even if they came AWD) would not fare well in Moab.

There are several car-based minivans out there. In fact, are there any that aren't? I can't think of one. The Toyota Sienna and Lexus RX300 ride on extended Camry platforms. The Toyota Highlander is basically a larger RX300 underneath the sheetmetal, so the minivan/SUV gene pool starts getting muddy. The Honda Pilot is based on the Odyssey, and the Odyssey rides on an extended Accord platform, etc. etc.

I think if I had to pick a minivan to pick on right now, I'd go with the Ford Freestyle because it's a very half-hearted attempt to sell what is still a Windstar.

Picking a good antithesis for the VX is very subjective. Do you pick something as totally different from a VX in as many ways as possible? Or something similar (or masquerading as similar) that is 180 degrees opposite in philosophy and just aimed in another direction entirely?

A good antithesis for the VX may be something along the lines of a Buick Rendezvous. The Rendezvous is an attempt to merge the minivan with the SUV, and it is basically for people who need a minivan but hate minivans. The MDX and Pilot borrow some from the Odyssey and so on, but the Rendezvous probably has more parts lifted directly from minivans than any other wannabe SUV. Word is that they handle horribly, with lots of body roll, have no road feel, and lots of understeer. The interior materials are lackluster and the seats aren't comfortable. The leather you can get in it as an option is low-grade. It is at best a very average pseudo-SUV, and in this age of crossover cute-utes, it's a bit of an ugly duckling. It is a blood-brother to the Pontiac Aztek, which doesn't help it any. You expect a certain something in a Buick and it falls short, whereas the VX exceeded expectations. You can get it in AWD, but that's not quite the same as 4WD, and it's not even fit for light off-road duty. I think there's a huge contrast in just the image between Buicks and Isuzus, too. Buicks conjure up Park Avenues, Regals... luxury cars that float down the road and are driven pretty much by old folks. Think Isuzu and you think of Amigo, Rodeo, Trooper, VehiCROSS. Rugged vehicles for active people who are young at heart. Very different.

Raque Thomas
03/03/2005, 04:24 PM
I don't think the Rendezvouz or its sibling the Aztec was ever meant to pretend to be an off-road vehicle. I think like the Volvos and such, it was marketed to be a capable on road vehicle for rain, snow and other adverse road conditions. Of course, that's the marketing hype. It is really another vehicle they thought they could get the yuppie crowd interested in. The ones (as you mentioned) that need a minivan, but consider themselves too young or "hip" to drive a minivan. Unfortunately, the execution fell a little short. At first glance, a decked out Rendezvouz doesn't look too bad - but the more you look, the worse it looks. Poor quality, poor design, poor materials, etc, etc, etc. GM has been very guilty over the years of building some vehicles of questionable design and cosmetic quality - kind of reminds me of the boat or RV industry, when you see a boat that looks pretty sharp, but you start really looking closely, you see all the short cuts they took and how poor the real quality is.

Now please don't think I'm liking the looks of the Rendezvous - NOT - just saying that it was not intended or marketed to be an off-road vehicle. And - I think it's stable mate, the Aztec is the ugliest vehicle on the planet - AND they sold a HELL of a lot more of them than the VX!!!!!

Actually, the ex came home with a new Rendezvouz after totalling the Escalade a few years ago and wanted me to buy it. It looked pretty good at first, but like I said, the more I looked, the less I liked it. The price was ridiculous in my mind at over $30k! Remember the Lumina APV and siblings? That's what it reminded me of. I'm rambling here, but if you've ever driven one of those (Lumina APV, etc first generation) the steering wheel is off-center to the left, it is a VERY odd feeling to drive one!

Heraclid
03/03/2005, 05:39 PM
I don't think I disagree with any of what you said. But here's what I said:

Picking a good antithesis for the VX is very subjective. Do you pick something as totally different from a VX in as many ways as possible? Or something similar (or masquerading as similar) that is 180 degrees opposite in philosophy and just aimed in another direction entirely?

This gets to what I was trying to say about how subjective this is. The first set of criteria would lead to something that in almost every imaginable way is opposite a VX, and you could end up with a Geo Metro or whatever. I consider the Rendezvous to fit the second set of criteria, where you have something roughly the same (it's supposedly a SUV), but the ideas and goals behind it are totally counter to everything the VX represents. I don't think anyone would peg a Buick to be a serious off-road vehicle. But I still think it is a classic case of something trying to have a little bit of appeal to a lot of people rather than settling on one thing and doing it well (a lot of appeal to fewer people). So it ends up being very average.

The Rendezvous is not a true four-wheel drive, but it is available in all-wheel drive. Buick's own website touts the Rendezvous's "On-Demand All-Wheel Drive" system, which sounds suspiciously like our own Torque-On-Demand setup, but in reality is a bit different. The VX system is full-time, distributes power to the wheels that need it, and has selectable high or low range gearing. The Rendezvous system is full-time, distributes power to the wheels that need it, and is without a low range gearing option.

I didn't used to know what the difference was between AWD and 4WD. I suspect that some people may actually get a Rendezvous and believe it is the equivalent of 4WD and think they can go wherever with it. Yes, it would take totally overlooking the minimal ground clearance and other signs that it isn't meant to do it, but I think we all know there are some people clueless enough.

AWD systems are lighter, but they lack the low range gearing of 4WD. AWD is full-time. 4WD may or may not be. Many regular SUV's and pickups still have selectable part-time 4WD, although many newer 4WD's are full-time. AWD is good for snow and dirt roads. But if it has big rocks, deep sand, or steep inclines, you still need 4WD.

Raque Thomas
03/03/2005, 06:38 PM
Heraclid - I think we agree on this - that vehicle is one that trys to appeal to a broad range of people without doing anything particularly well. I personally like being different, and the VX suits my personal style well. As far as what I think the true opposite of the VX is, I guess it would have to be something like the Chevrolet Lumina - nondescript, MASSproduced, and very generic. These 3 terms could not be applied to the VX;which is very descript, VERY limited production, and very unique.

TEN36VX
06/13/2005, 12:49 AM
Not to revive an old thread, but I just had to cast my vote...

Scion xB
Drivetype: Front Wheel Drive
Engine: DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
Suspension: Front: Independent strut with stabilizer bar
Rear: Torsion beam with stabilizer bar
Ground Clearance: 6.1"
Tires: 185/60 R15

I just hate even looking at those things!

transio
06/13/2005, 08:51 AM
I would say the Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's a humongous truck with tremendous offroad capability, but tamed for road use and decked out with every luxury you could imagine inside. It's also the antithesis of the VX in terms of looks, with a very angular appearance and hulking mass, while the VX is svelte by comparison.

transio
06/13/2005, 08:52 AM
Scion xB... I just hate even looking at those things!
The sport version is supposed to have really good handling for a FF.

cascabel3
06/14/2005, 12:40 PM
H2, the ultimate insult. Don't get me wrong, I love Hummers, real Hummers or Hum-Veehs. Portal axles like my Unimog has is what set the Hummer apart from the rest. When I saw the first H2, I stared in disbelief at the axles, at a ~$60k vehicle which had the same clearance as my '91 Trooper. I learned later that it was a Chevy Tahoe frame with a trumped up body.

The ultimate Soccer Mom vehicle.

Cobrajet
06/14/2005, 03:32 PM
I saw the VX antithesis on the road today (and every other day, too.) Ford's Escape - NO style, NO power, NO handling, NO interior comfort, NO off-road capability, NO class, NO excitement, NO drooling bystanders :) It is what the VX is not - (relatively) economical, roomy and practical. Where's the fun in that!

Heraclid
06/14/2005, 08:52 PM
Kinda funny you say that. Guy at work with a slightly ricey Saturn started driving his Escape instead and will try to park next to me when he can. Drives like a nut into the parking lot. Not sure, but if he thinks it shows up the VX or something... :laughy:

don moore
08/03/2007, 08:18 AM
Couldnt find a poll on the site for this. I'll go first.

I think the PT Cruiser is it. The next Cadillac for not-quite-senior citizens. Its got everything, a Neon chassis and a toned-down "safe" plastic nostalgic version of the cool rods of yesteryear. (If you own one dont take it personally-I am occasionally forced to drive my wifes Kia mini van.) THAT sucks!

LOL...my wife has a pt cruiser..and when I get my VX
ill take a pic of both :p and put it in the gallery...

circmand
08/03/2007, 10:51 AM
Toyota Corolla

No style no grace no performance Which the VX has in spade

Has good MPG, good smooth ride and is green which the VX is nor

Dino
08/03/2007, 06:03 PM
AMC Hornet

cyronman
08/03/2007, 06:25 PM
Certainly NOT the Subaru Brat !

I still want one of these...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9WPj1CBa-s&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fYO8meFJzP8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3-d99re0aSQ&mode=related&search=

classic

JoFotoz
08/03/2007, 07:08 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/rollsroyce4x4ip8.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/rollsroyce4x4ip8.jpg)

Ya just cant buy good taste.

jo

mdwyer
08/03/2007, 09:04 PM
VERY limited production, and very unique.

Yeah, the rarity of these vehicles didn't really occur to me until I saw an article about the De Lorean DMC-12 -- otherwise known as "That car from Back to the Future".

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12): "About nine thousand DMC-12s were made before production stopped in late 1982."

Wikipedia also says that there are only 4,153 Vehicrosses.

I just think, "I drive a car that's more rare than a De Lorean. Wow. How cool is that?!"

Of course, on the other side of the coin, I've only seen one De Lorean in my lifetime -- and that at a car show -- but I've seen at least four VX in my lifetime. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that we actually get to take our "rare cars" out on the road!

ZEUS
08/04/2007, 11:09 AM
Easy, Lance Armstrong's bicycle.

Chopper
08/04/2007, 01:31 PM
Naaah, how'bout a two-cycle Tuk-Tuk... maybe we can evolve to breathe blue air. Asia, is adapting, as we speak.

JHarris1385
08/04/2007, 05:18 PM
Certainly NOT the Subaru Brat !

I still want one of these...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9WPj1CBa-s&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fYO8meFJzP8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3-d99re0aSQ&mode=related&search=

classic

Thanks alot for posting that. First I have never seen them before and now it is one more car to add to my weekly random online search with other cars like the isuzu impulse rs awd for possible purchase.