PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt Replacement Secret Revealed

Navigator
03/09/2003, 09:19 AM
The VX belt can be replaced in the field without tools. Just pull up hard on the old belt using only your hands and the spring loaded tension arm will give enough slack to remove the old one, then simply follow the same path to install the new belt. Ten minutes tops if you move very slow or loose track of the path.

BTW check your belts, mine was looking mighty cracked at just under 30k miles.

JRB
03/15/2003, 12:40 PM
My VX just had to have it's belt replaced because the old one was very cracked and it only has 40,00 miles on it. Isn't that kind of soon for a belt to deteriorate?

Green Dragon
03/15/2003, 04:34 PM
This is one belt that you should carry as a spare.

Goodyear Gatorback
Poly V
PN 4060895
Cost about $34

Once you change it out use the old one as the spare.

Dragon Bob;pg;

Navigator
03/17/2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by JRB
My VX just had to have it's belt replaced because the old one was very cracked and it only has 40,00 miles on it. Isn't that kind of soon for a belt to deteriorate?

I'd have to say age is as much of a factor as mileage. My VX is a low mileage 1999 edition, just turned 30k, and I am gradually replacing deteriorating rubber parts as I find them. So far the belt was the only thing I found that looked bad and was feeling brittle. My hoses still look and feel good as new, but I am going to replace them anyway because the are so old. The good news is th VX is so easy to work on, so better safe than sorry. Just need sombody to care for my lawn, while I spend so much of my spare time on the VX :D

TrooperCROSS
04/01/2003, 06:59 PM
Mine was cracked when I bought my VX (41k) and thought that I would have to take it to my mechanic to have it changed. Thanks to this post I was able to do the job myself, which is infinitely more satisfying. Thanks!!

;Dy;

V12BMW
08/22/2005, 10:39 PM
i heard your supposed to pinch it (look on back side(grooved side) and if it has more than 3 lil cracks per centemeter then it's time to replace

kpaske
08/23/2005, 09:19 PM
When I did mine I replaced the tensioner, as is often recommended when changing out belts, and it was NOT an easy "no tools required" job. The gatorback with the new tensioner took me forever to get back on, and it WOULD NOT fit without loosening the bolt that holds the tensioner in place, giving it just an extra little bit of play.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but some people have had very different experiences changing out this belt (as reflected in another thread a few weeks back) - some were simple 5 minute jobs and others like mine were much more of a PITA.

And BTW: I replaced mine around 80k+. The old one was all cracked to hell, but it was still holding strong!