PDA

View Full Version : 02 Sensors- Better MPG??

xdfarrx
03/08/2003, 07:14 PM
Hey Moncha Scott, & Tone-
I was asking about these trick looking Bosch 02 sensors at my speed shop. Guy at I.V.M was saying they would improve my mileage 'probably' because they relay data faster then the stock. Any info on this??
thanks

Cobrajet
03/09/2003, 05:24 AM
My daughter's 2000 Beetle uses the 4-wire Bosch O2 sensors right from the factory. I don't think it's faster than the VX! :rolleyes: However, they are expensive. I had to replace one a few months ago.

I'm no engineer, but I believe that the O2 sensor with built-in heater (4-wire) will reach it's operating temperature faster, putting the emissions system into closed loop mode sooner, therefore reducing time spent in an enrichened state. Will this significantly improve your mileage? Performance? I doubt it. If your O2 sensors are BAD, then it will affect performance.

Keeping all of your fuel system components clean (filter, injectors, MAF, etc) and all sensors functioning properly, and keeping your foot out of the Go pedal, will do more for your mileage -- in theory! Since I don't own any vehicles that sip fuel ('70 Torino Cobra, '82 Mustang GT, '00 Honda CBR600F4 - maybe) I rarely practice fuel conservation measures. Sorry, I'm :evil:

andy454
03/10/2003, 05:54 AM
They won't make any difference. The software is set up to run at a certain loop rate, 2x. The stock sensors are faster that it can update as it is. Hope this helps.

xdfarrx
03/11/2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the 411 Andy