PDA

View Full Version : oil change

RobVX
03/08/2003, 03:32 PM
I'm about ready to do my first oil change on my new VX. I'm thinking or running a synthetic like Mobil 1. I've been told the VX's engine was "broken in" by the factory, so I don't need to wait till I put 10,000 miles on it before coverting over to synthetic.
It also sat on a dealers lot for over a year and was periodically driven (500 miles on it at purchase).

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences on oil type and brands would be appreciated. Also, anyone know what oil filter I need, or have any suggestions? Thanks, Rob.

Moncha
03/08/2003, 04:22 PM
Here's some search results (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=4371&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

xdfarrx
03/08/2003, 07:07 PM
I use Mobil 1 0w-30. Supposed to promote fule milage and as I live in the mountians of tahoe works great for cold starts. It is the flagship oil for Mobil 1 from the literature I have read. Why synthetic? Better viscosity index improvers, less apt to foam. Less likely to oxidize. Also has the highest cold flow rating, and a really high heat capacity. I also put syn throughouy vx and it runs quiter and improved the rolling resistance especially when I did the front and rear diff. They stress not to use additives- I don't. They say the break in thing is a myth. It is used on many new cars for break in like Chevrolet (Vettes), Porsche, and AMG/Mercedes. Good enough for my so I drop the extra cabbage.

Navigator
03/10/2003, 01:24 PM
Most oils that meet or exceed vehicle specifications are fine if you change your oil every 3000 miles. Synthetic's are for high stress situations such as racing or towing and longer change intervals such as skiping a 3000/3 month interval in winter due to bad weather.

I use synthetic for peace of mind, and change every 3000, I have never lost an engine or needed major repairs. But then again I have never kept a car longer than 3 years, and I do my own maintenance.

I have allready promissed my VX to my son, who will be old enough to drive in 2010. So it's synthetic all the way around for me :D

VX crazy
03/11/2003, 05:32 AM
I just had Tone do my 15k service! Awesome work! Runs better than it did off the lot! Used all Royal Purple, in transmission, front and rear diff, steering, transfer case, and engine oil! Runs unreal!! Also finally got the K&N airfilter, that makes a slight difference also! Try it!

RobVX
03/11/2003, 10:32 PM
Hey VX crazy!

Thanks for the info. Did you go with the drop in K&N filter into the air box or with the cone filter assembly? This is definitely my next mod., along with shifterplate cover set and clear turn signal lenses from Ron (great site by the way!). I'm gonna pull out the Tx. Transportation Code to determine what color has to be displayed for the markers and turn signals in Texas (may have to change the bulb color, but I'm gona get those clear covers)... add yet one more reason for DPS to pull me over.

Sounds like it may be worthwhile changing out all of the VX fluids. What viscosity Royal Purple did Tone use for your engine oil?:)

Rob A.

VX crazy
03/12/2003, 04:58 AM
Hey Rob, I used the drop in filter, you can definitely hear the difference. I also no longer run the front plate, I am just asking to be pulled over!!! Normally I do my own oil, but since he was doing the other he did the oil also. Used the 10-30 for the engine and the 75w140 in the front and rear diffs. I really think I will post a reply on the royal purple website, it runs sooo much better and smoother, can't keep off the gas pedal though, so this tank I got about 17 mpg. But if I wanted good gas milage I would have gotten a honda or something!

RobVX
03/12/2003, 11:37 AM
With such a glowing recommendation for Royal Purple, I promptly went out this a.m. looking for it, but none of my local automotive shops seemed to carry it (although I didn't ask if they could order it in). Did y'all get your Royal Purple fluids directly from the company or does an automotive shop carry it? Thanks for the assistance. Rob A.

Joe C
03/12/2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Robvx
With such a glowing recommendation for Royal Purple, I promptly went out this a.m. looking for it, but none of my local automotive shops seemed to carry it (although I didn't ask if they could order it in). Did y'all get your Royal Purple fluids directly from the company or does an automotive shop carry it? Thanks for the assistance. Rob A.

I just went with Royal Purple on my first oil change since buying my VX. I got it online from Thunder Racing (http://www.thunderracing.com). They are mainly a musclecar site but they have good prices and excellent customer service. I bought a complete batch of RP fluids from them (gear oil, ATF, engine oil) but so far have only changed the engine oil.

VX crazy
03/12/2003, 01:55 PM
NAPA stocks the engine oil and ATF as well as gear oil, but they had to order the 75w140 from san antonio, took 1 day! And than I did not have to pay freight.