PDA

View Full Version : My VX makeover..need design/style suggestions

drdavidr4u
02/16/2005, 11:30 AM
Hi to all!
Now that you have seen my VX with its new shoes
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/s...=500&ppuser=710
and the picture is in your mind I could use some suggestions.

In my mind I see the VX with its mods either heading towards a street racer look, an off road look or a military-nasa look.
I wish to do further mods to bring it more to the agressive military-nasa look. I guess I'm lucky to have found the dragon green VX which helps the image! I'm looking for suggestions of what I can do further for the military-agressive-nasa look!!
Obviously the larger tires helped!

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SilverBullet75
02/16/2005, 12:22 PM
I've always wanted Dual Gatling Paintball guns mounted to each side of the car!
especially for the times when people cut me off on the highway

azskyrider
02/16/2005, 12:46 PM
I've always wanted Dual Gatling Paintball guns mounted to each side of the car!
especially for the times when people cut me off on the highway

well you can always paint it on your VX

http://www.ilnur.ru/img/catalog/2001062118505153/ivh_right_2_s.gifhttp://www.ilnur.ru/img/catalog/2001062118505153/ivh_right_s.gif

drdavidr4u
02/16/2005, 01:32 PM
thanks for the input but its no exactly what I had in mind!!!

I'm looking for items/mods that would really make my VX look agressive and military...short of painting it camoflage!!!!!

I bet welding on some systems access panels on the body might help!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts or know of anyone who's VX is in that direction?

WormGod
02/16/2005, 06:00 PM
I dont know that the VX could really look so military issue. The body lines are just too rounded, as where much o f the military issue vehicles are boxy and bulky. I would lean more to the space look, or perhaps even Gundam/Transformers look. Careful though, too much "add-on" fluff starts to make it look like your car is an advertisement for Pep Boys teenage rides section.

I always look at my fuel latch and think "man, what if there were more of that look on the VX". Perhaps maybe more aluminum/gunmetal sheeting with those allen wrench/rivet looks? Like the fasteners where the cladding attaches. It gives it that bolted on armor look.

Better yet, mount a TOW missile launcher on the roof and call it a day, hahaha. ;)

kpaske
02/16/2005, 06:44 PM
I've always thought the Yakima loadwarrior with a full size spare gives the VX a more "rugged" look. Especially if you add some other offroad accessories like a hi-lift jack (Yakima makes one that hooks to the outside of your rack) and maybe some boulder bars on the sides. The wheels and tires have quite an effect on the overall look too. Super swamper thornbirds are an excellent choice.

http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/images/vxside1.jpg

WyrreJ
02/16/2005, 07:02 PM
Go for some sort of black matte rims, and a super-tall whip antenna off the back somewhere (drilled up through cladding?)

SGT.BATGUANO
02/16/2005, 10:12 PM
I don't see that you're considering a paint job, but if so, you could try going with the new "velvet" paints, which is pretty much a cross between flat and satin finishes. Either OD green or black, or maybe a tri-color woodland, desert or urban camo scheme. As an alternative, you might try waxing it and then get a refillable spray can, pick up some tempra (water soluble) paint and have some temporary fun. Spray it as dry as possible (hold the can far from the surface so the paint doesnt run) and you should get a "flat" paint appearance. I've never personally tried the tempra paint thing, but have seen it done. If you decide to try it, as usual, try it out in an inconspicuous area first , just in case the paint leeches through the wax. Since you have a dark paint, it shouldn't be a problem, but test it first.

Check out some pics of military vehicles and add some white or black stenciled numbers and stars on the doors/ fenders.

Pick up some GTS smoked or simulated c/f headlight and taillight covers and cut a single 1" tall by "x" wide (where "x"= the cover width minus 2") light slot in each lens, using a dremel tool. Cut out a paper cover with the described opening and use it as a template on the factory headlight as a guide for placement on the headlight cover that allows for the best light distribution.

Add safari and boulder bars and a rear hitch step in flat or satin black.

Just some suggestions that flashed through my mind. :)

wekilled
02/17/2005, 07:42 AM
First off I agree, add some tube all around.

Second, are you talking "cool TV Army" or the "real Army." In that case stick it on the 026 deadline report, rip your seats up, smash it repeatedly with a ball peen hammer, and install lawn chairs in it. Chuckle.

Here is an interesting mod which I have done to two vehicles in the past (a 77 Toyota Celica Liftback and a 94 Amigo)

It will keep your interior cleaner if you live in a wet or snowy area. However if you get into deep water it will trap the moisture underneath the mat. It also looks really industrial and fits the style of the VX.

Interior: Order some diamond plate matting from any number of industrial matting companies (locally we have Pacific Mat in Kent Wa see link in search) It costs from 6-8 dollars a foot and comes in either light gray or black, and 3-4 foot wide rolls. There are no other colors available that I know of.

You will have to take out the seats to use the carpeting as a template. Since the driveline creates a double radius curve you have the option of covering the hump separately and overlapping over the floor sections. The easiest part is the cargo area. The mat is a little stiff when you bend the seat up, but gets better over time.

Another less invasive option is to make a pattern of areas like the bottom of the cupholder, the useless square indent in front of that, and the indent to the right of the H/L shifter, and a few other areas where you can use it as an accent.

Save your carpeting if you want to reinstall from cold feet later.

AREA 51
02/17/2005, 09:27 AM
Hmmm. You could cover the exterior with diamond plate matting? :eek: