PDA

View Full Version : your call sign?

azskyrider
02/14/2005, 07:47 PM
Some forums have had some good fun on this topic and there are a number of interesting methods of why people choose their call sign. I am sure we all have come across some member's call sign that we find peculiar or interesting of what the meaning is behind it.

I will start.....

Unfortunately I have nothing fancy. AZ for Arizona and Skyrider because I am in the Aviation and Aerospace Industry.

redline
02/14/2005, 07:55 PM
I collect early Hotwheels from 68-72 that have "REDLINE" Sidewall's.
Real muscle cars had redline tires in the 60's also.

Dallas4u
02/14/2005, 08:30 PM
Alright... I'll play (little goofy off of a bottle of organic wine from Valentine's dinner). Nothing fancy here, either. Dallas because I use to live in Dallas, and 4U becuase I've used it since I first created an email account on the net back in 95-96. I guess I was single, and I thought '4U' meant "for you, beeotch!!!!".

All kidding aside, I've used it for almost all my usernames on forums and such since that time.

johnnyapollo
02/14/2005, 08:31 PM
johnnyapollo came from my interest in the space race and toys - there was a toy astronaut from the 60's produced by Marx called Johnny Apollo - since I collect space toys, it seemed to be a fun eBay name. It's stuck with me since.

-- John

Anita
02/14/2005, 08:49 PM
:?:

For my email and almost any other forum I have gone by Red Diva. Red because I used to sport red hair and Diva, because I am very soft spoken, introverted,....and perform with a demure hip hop group... :jump: :flame:

SilverBullet75
02/14/2005, 11:08 PM
Mine's kinda simple...
Silver= My last name
Silverbullet=I finally have a car I can name this (VX is Astral Silver)
75= Born in 1975
:)

StormTROOPER
02/15/2005, 02:28 AM
Guess again....(no I'm not a SW fanatic) My first name was... cali4niaVXer (yea,like I'm the only VXer in California) so I changed it to a more creative name since the VX is built on the Japanese 2 door TROOPER platform that can handle STORMy weather, and it does kinda resemble a certain heavily cladded movie character. ;)

thebear54
02/15/2005, 04:41 AM
Well...my handle came from my nickname. My last name translated from Dutch means "The Bear" in English and the "54" came from the year I was born. Easy for me to remember since my nickname has been with me since High School(just a few years ago ;) )
John

yal^
02/15/2005, 07:22 AM
I got my nickname from a good friend of mine.
In early 90's Internet was still in a toddler stage in my country. I used to go by ^kate^ - English translation of my Polish name. That was when we were still experimenting with creating hosts, lots of IRC and some other stuff. Then around 97 Internet became free for all. All of the sudden netiquette was non existent anymore. Any female nickname was in danger, as masses discovered anonymity of chat and cybersex. I and other girls identifying themselves us such, were a target of some nasty individuals.
One day I was working on a project with a friend of mine from a different city. IRC was our way of communication but I was being blown off the net every couple of seconds. Then my friend sent me a brief e-mail to change my nick. He said yal would be a good nickname for me. I added that little ^ character, so the rest of my friends new it was me.

Triathlete
02/15/2005, 08:17 AM
My call sign is simply what I do. I have been a triathlete for over 12 years and have done over 200 triathlons. That includes 6 half Ironmans and I will be doing my 10th Ironman 2 months from now!

ISCE
02/15/2005, 08:26 AM
ISCE stands for Integrated Systems for Computing & Engineering. It is the acronymn I created for a series of software tools I developed over the years. My tools integrate corporate ERP/MRP systems and has as the premier tool ISCEdm - or Data Manager. This is really a PLM, Product Lifecycyle Management tool that manages all the revision control, as well as searching, viewing, printing, and product structure data for the companies using my tools.

Cyrk
02/15/2005, 08:39 AM
My last name is Sirkin and there is are these series of Polish paintings that have the name Cyrk on them, My family had one of the paintings when I was growing up and the name stuck cause people already called me sirk, but I liked the way Cyrk was written better. I think Cyrk is for circus in those paintings?

http://www.poster.com.pl/circus/hil-lion2.jpg

autox-racer
02/15/2005, 08:40 AM
autox-racer = auto cross racer. Basically I run a formula SAE car in autocrosses.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/116vxandcar-med.jpg

psychos2
02/15/2005, 09:21 AM
i have been using psychos2 for about 10 years. it started as an hotmail email address my brother and i thought up. we are both into horror movies he is also into special effects makeup.the name has to do with the movie Psycho.i also use the name Nbates13p which Norman Bates is from Psycho. shawn

MZ-N10
02/15/2005, 09:45 AM
i stole mine off my minidisc player
________
Vaporizer (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Offroad vx
02/15/2005, 10:11 AM
I chose mine because all our vehicles (except for my MR2) are off road vehicles. We have a 75 Toyota Landcruiser, a Diamler Ferret Military scout vehicle, a single buggy offroad racecar, a dirt bike and two ATV's. And of course the VX!

VX4EJR
02/15/2005, 11:02 AM
just "VX" (self explanatory) "4" (for) "EJR" my initials.

Man that was tough :p

Kahuna
02/15/2005, 11:22 AM
well, since everybody else is doing it...here's mine. I only wear shorts, hardly ever shoes, I'm in a visor 99% of the time, I live near the beach, I bleach my hair, I surf, and I think I know everything! I'd rather be sitting in the tropics sucking down a margarita while listing to Jimmy Buffett. Somehow the nickname (cowboy) just doesn't seem to work!

VX crazy
02/15/2005, 11:36 AM
I dont know Kahuna, lots of cowboys here in Texas would love to be doin just that!

Francesco Rizzo
02/15/2005, 11:48 AM
After like 4 months of looking for a vx, I finally found one. The same night I did a 7 hour round trip to boston to pick up mine, I signed up to this site and in my excitement I accidently filled my full name into the "username" spot.. So I'm now known as Francesco Rizzo :work:

Child's Play
02/15/2005, 04:01 PM
I got mine from "Childs" = Last Name and Play (NO, not the movie with Chucky!). This was the headlines that the newpapers used to use when I played High School Football. My girlfriend also says it fits me, because she says that I'll never grow up, even though my toys keep getting more and more expensive!!! Just bought an 04' SVT Cobra! Man will this thing haul a**!

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/15/2005, 04:27 PM
okay....here goes nothing...lol...

I bought my white IronMan edt. Vehicross and couldn't help but notice that when the tires and cladding were darkened by tire shine and protectants
along with the black hood insert and black leather bra that it reminded me of the contrasting white/black colors found on a "Jolly Roger" pirate flag. I also felt people (vandals) would be less likely to mess with my ride if thoughts of death were conveyed by said vehicle...lol. (I also have the grimm reaper tattooed on my side windows.)

I found this site and learned of the affectionate term "VX" for our vehicles and that we are "VX'ers"....so I combined it all and came up with
"Jolly Roger VX'er"!

geshaw30
02/15/2005, 04:29 PM
The initials & last name speak for themselves.
The "30" was my goaltender number when the minor leagues used to pay me the minimum to let countless pucks into the net. :mad:
________
SUZUKI DR-Z SERIES HISTORY (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_DR-Z_Series)

Heraclid
02/15/2005, 04:32 PM
I've always been a bit of a history nut, and I particularly like the old Greek and Roman stuff. I used to visit a website where everyone had names along those lines. No one was using Heraclid, so I did. And the rest is history.

The term refers to one of the Heraclidae, or "sons of Hercules". Originally they were members of the Spartan royalty who claimed direct descent from the mythical hero. Though eventually banished and persecuted, Greek legend had it that one day these descendants of Hercules would return.

As Mycenaean culture waned on the Peloponessian peninsula, that area experienced an influx of tribes from adjacent areas. Interestingly, these outsiders spoke a decidedly insider Greek dialect. This dialect had its origins in the central Greek city of Doris, and so these people came to be called Dorians. The so-called "Doric Invasion" represented a monumental shift in Greek history and ushered in the Iron Age there. Because of their language, many said the Dorians were in fact the returning Heraclidae, and so the terms Heraclid and Dorian are practically interchangeable.

SkidPlate
02/15/2005, 04:36 PM
My nick does not refer to any undercarriage protection, or cosmetic enhancements on my VX, as you may have suspected.

I've actually used this handle online since the early 90's, (long before I had the need for any such vehicle augmentation). As yal^ pointed out, anonymity is always a concern on IRC. So when I started hanging out there a lot I decided I needed a good handle, about the same time I heard the Jerky Boys refer to somebody as SkidPlate, and it stuck. :)

cascabel3
02/15/2005, 04:42 PM
I worked in a snake farm in Wolfenbuettel/Germany as a herpetologist for a short time. Reptiles were my specialty. After coming to the States I got into catching rattlers (I do it by hand and release them, no harm done) and fell in love with them. After a stint to the Colombian Amazon I found out that they called their version of rattlesnake "Cascabel" (literally rattle) and this name stuck.

FLBeachgirl
02/15/2005, 04:47 PM
FL because i live in Florida and beachgirl because i live at the beach literally and figuratively and the fact that i only had 15min before work to set up my profile name lol

TDAWG
02/15/2005, 04:59 PM
TDAWG i am pretty sure everyone can figure it out. T=Tony and DAWG=Dog.
I got the name from my brother when I was a kid. He told me that everytime he saw me get into a fight I was like a pitbull locking his jaw on something and not letting go. So the name stuck ever since. 36 yrs later and I'm still the same. Once I get a hold of something I don't let it go.

biju
02/15/2005, 05:51 PM
... interesting thread. I like...

Brief background: my name is bill. my father's name is also bill... now continue reading....

The nickname 'biju' was given to me by a group of friends while watching an episode of The Simpsons. In season 4, episode 'Marge vs. The Monorail', Bart declares "dad, you're my hero". Homer replies, "Really son? Do you want to change your name to Homer, Jr? The kids could call you 'Hoju'."

Without hesitation and almost in total synch a few in the group looked towards me and shouted, "Biju!". A nickname was born...

:p

WormGod
02/15/2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, here is a geeky one for ya....

I always play videogames, when I am not making them. When I first got into multiplayer games like Quake and UT, I SUCKED. I sucked so bad, that I needed a name for myself ingame that let everyone know that I was an easy target. First, I was ChewToy, then later, I became WormGod. WormGod simply because, worms tend to be associated with corpses, and as much as I died in these games, I would surely have to be the god of them.

Btw, I still suck at multiplayer games, haha.

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
02/15/2005, 10:31 PM
Geeze I don't even remember anymore. I've use it since I can remember for Email addresses, gamer Tags, Xbox Live and the like. I've even got a couple of friends who call me "Uneven" as an everyday nickname. I wanna say I picked it up in Jr. High or something... how sad is it that I'm only 21 and my memory is already going on me :p Now this is gonna bug me all night.

nocturnalVX
02/16/2005, 01:33 AM
Geeze I don't even remember anymore... Now this is gonna bug me all night.
UNEVEN THOUGHTS can't remeber where the name came from? Now THAT'S funny!!!

O.K. now mine... it's simple really. I'm not a fan of the daytime (even less so of mornings), and never have been. I have NCTRNL vanity plates on both my VehiCROSS & my Ducati. Oh, and it's an Ebont VX too. So now I'm known as nocturnalVX on each and every Isuzu forum. :goof:

Beavertractors
02/16/2005, 02:46 AM
Hi ;) I get a lot of funny looks and comments about my call sign. Beaver riding tractors were made from 1948 till about 1962. I have been colecting them since the 1980's.I have a club in Yahoo Groups.Stop by and have a look.

HotFlyer
02/16/2005, 04:50 AM
Mine comes from a stint as a pilot flying hot air balloons.

BritVX
02/16/2005, 04:57 AM
Never thought reading call signs would be entertaining but it's kept me from working for 20 minutes.

Mines rather obvious as I'm in England and own a VX. I'm thinking of changing it though as I think it sounds a bit flag waving which I'm not.

Col

crager34
02/16/2005, 05:36 AM
I have been a rock climber going on 17 years now and a "Crag" is a rock area to go climbing. I didn't like the spelling with two G's, so I just use this. When I started using it, I was 34 years old.....gonna be 40 this year.

HeepOwner
02/16/2005, 06:00 AM
well my call sign here is HeepOwner be cause I own a Jeep wrangler, but I found this site after meeting a few of you at attica during faters day last year (2004) and met Yal^ at a run that I put on in attica in august for all 4 wheelers of any make or model. But my real call sign is JayChains, I get it from being a Tow truck driver here in St. Louis MO. and my name is Jason so it just fits. I will have run info up soon for the next run to attica in august entitled The Mad Russian's Electric Chain Link Fence Run #3.

Moncha
02/16/2005, 08:05 AM
I signed up to this site and in my excitement I accidently filled my full name into the "username" spot..

^ I can fix that if you want..

well my call sign here is HeepOwner be cause I own a Jeep wrangler, but I found this site after meeting a few of you at attica during faters day last year (2004) and met Yal^ at a run that I put on in attica in august for all 4 wheelers of any make or model.

^ I love it when differences are put aside

This is a most excellent thread..

My nickname comes from a very beloved pet named Freckles. When she was way up there in age, she would nibble at your fingers thinking you were gonna give her a treat. While watching the movie "Cave Man" with Shelly Long and Ring Star, the part where the T-Rex was chasing the actors and the actors kept turning around yelling "moncha, moncha!" was on,Freckles was chasing my hand wanting something to eat and I yelled out, "moncha, moncha!" The nickname stuck for Freckles. Since then, dear Freckles has passed on to the great meadow in the sky.

After seeing the VX for the first time, my wife, Laura said the VX's front end looked like a monster, leading me to say "moncha, moncha!"... Well, THAT stuck and since then I've been known as Moncha.

Here's the kicker, later, we found out through some spanish speaking friends, in slang terms around our parts, moncha means little spot or freckle... Go figure!

Now you all know my deepest secret! :zzzy: :rolly:

yal^
02/16/2005, 08:07 AM
My last name is Sirkin and there is are these series of Polish paintings that have the name Cyrk on them, My family had one of the paintings when I was growing up and the name stuck cause people already called me sirk, but I liked the way Cyrk was written better. I think Cyrk is for circus in those paintings?

yup, it stands for circus. I was wandering if you knew :)

wekilled
02/16/2005, 08:24 AM
Took mine from my last name "Wekell," changed "e" to a "i" and added my first initial (d.) Cheesy but it works.

azskyrider
02/16/2005, 08:42 AM
Here's the kicker, later, we found out through some spanish speaking friends, in slang terms around our parts, moncha means little spot or freckle... Go figure!

Now you all know my deepest secret! :zzzy: :rolly:

Hello Scott,

I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I have been wondering what MONCHA meant. Nice story.

In spanish MANCHA means spot or stain. Pecas means freckles. You don't want to refer freckles as mancha (spot or stain on a persons physical features) because it is very rude.

Funny how moderator and MONCHA fit. Just like the T-rex the moderator can enforce discipline when needed. MONCHA! MONCHA! :eek:

Cheers,

BigJoe
02/16/2005, 10:42 AM
Well............

Big = me (unfortunately not tall)

Joe = me

JAFO
02/16/2005, 12:11 PM
http://www.gregdonner.org/blue_thunder/bt_main.gif

I got mine from one of my favorite movies that was also a popular tv series when I was growing up in the 80's. JAFO is from the movie Blue Thunder. But if you want to know what it means your going to have to watch the movie.

Raque Thomas
02/16/2005, 12:54 PM
Mine's pretty tough to figure out:
Raque = first name
Thomas = last name

with an unusual name, I never run up against the problem of not being able to use my name, so it's never occured to me to use something else. I guess the only other thing I've been called (that's repeatable here!!) is Rocko.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/16/2005, 01:36 PM
http://www.gregdonner.org/blue_thunder/bt_main.gif

I got mine from one of my favorite movies that was also a popular tv series when I was growing up in the 80's. JAFO is from the movie Blue Thunder. But if you want to know what it means your going to have to watch the movie.

I know! I know! "Just Another Freakie Observer!" Okay...so that's the censored network version....subsitute the "f" bomb for Freakie and by george I think we got a winner! :p

Cobrajet
02/16/2005, 04:52 PM
One picture is worth a thousand words...
http://users.adelphia.net/~ghnorth/70Cobra.jpg
Yes, it sits in my garage, except when the weather is perfect.

dutchie
02/16/2005, 06:03 PM
One picture is worth a thousand words...
http://www.tiniesdigitaledagboek.nl/fotos2004/3ekw2004/klomp.jpg
Yes, it sits in my closet, except when the weather is perfect. ;)

thebear54
02/17/2005, 05:58 AM
Serge.....You are a riot.....LOL.
A well worn pair of klompen, what every self respecting dutchman should have. :p
John

Flyingarmy
02/17/2005, 10:53 AM
Simply...

Flyingarmy.....my profession, my passion & my life!

http://www.flyingarmy.com/logo.gif

Vasha13
02/17/2005, 10:56 AM
Vasha13

Okay - it was 5-6 years ago and I was trying to chat online for the first time. Every user id I could think of was taken. The movie on TV was Kull the Conqueror and the villainess in that movie is Akevasha (sp?). Well, obviously, I didn't know for sure how to spell Akevasha so I just used Vasha. At first it was just Vasha until I signed up for stuff, couldn't remember my password and had to start using the number series behind it. No, I didn't forget 13 times - after about 3, I jumped line and just made sure I used the same password all the time.

- s a i n t -
02/17/2005, 04:53 PM
Mine's based on my last name - St. Marie. I've been called "saint" by my buddies for as long as I can remember. Besides, I never do anything wrong so saint fits me.

OK, I made that last part up. ;)

- s a i n t -

Heraclid
02/17/2005, 05:10 PM
Kull the Conqueror and the villainess in that movie is Akevasha (sp?)

Wow! I think it's Akivasha. My wife and I were just getting serious at about that time. This will make us sound like real geeks, but we more or less met because of a website about Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, starring Kevin Sorbo, who also starred in the Kull movie and does Andromeda now. Amanda was actually in NYC when they had the Kull premiere there, but she wasn't there for that and did not attend. That movie has such a kick-arse beginning. First thing you see is a bunch of fire and a big melee. I like sword movies that get right to the point. :-)

I don't know if you know who Kevin Smith was, but we met him in Orlando, helped keep the stalker types at bay, hung out, had sushi, talked about rugby and stuff. A real class act all the way. I'm glad I got to know him before he passed, which was right about now a couple of years ago. :-(

AlaskaVX
02/17/2005, 05:32 PM
Well I can't remember where I got mine from. ;)

But as for a real nickname everyone calls me Jesus since well......

I guess I kinda look like him.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/253halloween_pics_from_10-31-03_006-thumb.jpg

Heraclid
02/17/2005, 08:40 PM
Ah, so you're the guy with the Alaskan NASA VX. Some lil' punk with a Subie was bragging about dusting you in a race. Regardless of whether or not it's a fair fight, I'm wondering if you were even trying to or he just thought so. I get so many people who want to race just because of the way the VX looks (and sounds with the PV2). And of course when I hit the gas the sound must make them think I'm punching it more than I am, so they think I tried and lost miserably. The VX just brings out the jerk in a lot of the folks we share the roads with. They just have to get ahead of us. Which tells me I already won because they feel inadequate. As well they should. :-)

AlaskaVX
02/18/2005, 01:07 PM
HUH? Who in Florida could have raced me? I have raced a few/lot of WRX's and I loose but it is still fun! They don't really take off 'till 3rd gear. There was one that I beat but I didn't understand it. I raced him from light to light twice and beat him then he followed me to the highway and we did pulls from all over the place 30,45,60 and I beat him every time, he must not have been able to drive a stick or something? And YES he was racing me.

The WRX's always give me a thumbs up since they have no idea my SUV can get up and move that quick. On our Alaska strip there are not too many fast cars at all (anymore cops took it over) and the WRX's pretty much took anything 2 years back, but after I got the SCer I started giving them a descent run.

When did he say this happened? I haven't really raced anyone for a year now, except at the track.

misterdallas
02/18/2005, 01:38 PM
College buddies plus the movie "Reservoir Dogs". We just started nicknaming each other "Mr." this and "Mr." that. You have to see the movie to really get it.

Misterdallas

AlaskaVX
02/18/2005, 01:46 PM
You didn't want to be Mr. Pink? :bgwp:

misterdallas
02/18/2005, 02:13 PM
Actually, I was Mr. Purple once.:)

Heraclid
02/18/2005, 04:50 PM
HUH? Who in Florida could have raced me?

Actually he is in Alaska - I read it on another online forum similar to this one, with a bunch of AK Subie folks chatting. I was just scanning posts for references to VX's just for the heck of it and came across it. I didn't catch all the details, but I remember several references to a military base in the area in his posts, and I think a few of those folks must live/work there. I don't want to start a thing between the two forums or something, though. I don't particularly care for their cars aesthetically any more than some Subaru enthusiasts apparently do for our VX's, but ya have to admit that's a pretty cool little car anyway. I've grown to like them more from seeing them at all the rallycrosses (and I think they have some respect for the VX's too, especially when we beat some of 'em).

I have raced a few/lot of WRX's and I loose but it is still fun! They don't really take off 'till 3rd gear. There was one that I beat but I didn't understand it. I raced him from light to light twice and beat him then he followed me to the highway and we did pulls from all over the place 30,45,60 and I beat him every time, he must not have been able to drive a stick or something? And YES he was racing me.

Cool! He'll tell some of his Subie friends you beat his WRX, they'll be dumbfounded, and it may help add to the VX mystique. :-)

The WRX's always give me a thumbs up since they have no idea my SUV can get up and move that quick. On our Alaska strip there are not too many fast cars at all (anymore cops took it over) and the WRX's pretty much took anything 2 years back, but after I got the SCer I started giving them a descent run.

Yeah, these guys talk about a "strip" as well...

When did he say this happened? I haven't really raced anyone for a year now, except at the track.

Now you're gonna make me have to go back and try to find it... LOL...

Ok, got it... date is 5/14/04... but I read the whole thing this time and I'm more annoyed this time. I had missed some of the comments before because I only turned up posts with the word "Vehicross" in them. Keep your cool... opinions are like a******s... everyone has one.

i owned tonite.... first kill and second kill....2 cars in a row....first one was a Isuzu VEHICROSS or watever...with NASA on the back..tribal i think u know.... I smoked him.....walked him bad in 3rd..... he couldnt get enough....and a Sierra C3 with 20s wanted some too....he jumped right with me from a stop....he powerbraked his ****....but i got him at the top of second and through 3rd gear i pulled. vehicross was just dust to us....he was way behind.... and he still wanted to run.....anyone have any info onthis white VehiCross with NASA on the back? tribal told me that it has an S/C. and it sounded like it too.... also, the C3 had exhaust and hypertech programming....pretty impressive for an all motor truck with AWD, and his wife looked like she enjoyed the street racing

hope my clutch is ok....slipped a little too much the first race and it slipped even in 2nd when i shifted...

What the **** is a Vehicross?

one of these uber fugly ****s (w/picture)

Mother of God...

yeah....exactly what i said when he was tailin me tryin to instigate the race...even when i was busy with teh C3....i killed that Vehicross without even trying.... my new parts made a big difference

Every time i see one of those I laugh. What would posess someone to buy one of those?

That's the only one I've seen in town with the NASA sticker on the back. Not only to buy one, but to even put a S/C in it lol. I wonder how many HP it's pushing?

<laughing smilie>

[in response to Every time i see one of those I laugh. What would posess someone to buy one of those?]

Or Element, or Aztec, etc, etc, etc...

GRRRRRRRRRRRR....

AlaskaVX
02/18/2005, 05:15 PM
Ohhhh he killed an SUV with over 1000 more lbs, and oversize mud tires on oooooooooo impressive, glad he bragged about it! Just goes to show I was right with him till third.

Heraclid
02/18/2005, 06:02 PM
He couldn't go half the places you can, and your vehicle is much more versatile and much more unique, so don't sweat it. Kinda sounds like he thinks it could have been kinda close without his "new parts". And despite the nastiness, it sounds like he kinda maybe liked it just a little - the sound comment, the fact that he wants to know more about your VX. There's certainly no shame in losing to a WRX, and like you said, he didn't walk you until third. What you said reminds me of a Subie I saw with a tag reading SUVETR. I mean really - for the most part, is that really saying much? If we were way lighter, our trucks would suck and break because of the sacrifices made to get them lighter and faster. Racing only proves you're faster, not that you're better.

kpaske
02/21/2005, 09:26 PM
A WRX running around racing SUVs?!?! What a joke. Shouldn't he be racing vehicles in his own class? I think the fact that you kept up with him until third says it all. I want a supercharger!!! ;Db;

I guess I'll chime in on this thread too. It's simple - kpaske is an abreviation of my full name. I never have a problem with it being taken when I sign up for different sites, and well, I've been using it for years. There actually is a bit of a story though... Back in the day, before the Internet, in the days of dial up BBSes, although many people used aliases, there wasn't as great of a need for anonimity. In fact, there was a bit of a movement for some of us to be open about our identities because it created a sense of trust between those who didn't feel the need to hide behind a handle. I guess using the abreviated nickname was my way of revealing a bit of my true identity without exposing myself completely. It actually still provides a good deal of safety - whenever I get an email or snail mail address to "K" or "Mr. Paske", I know it isn't from a company or site I trusted enough to give my full name to!

VXcaver
02/22/2005, 04:21 PM
When I'm not building web pages or sleeping I go crawling through holes in the ground. Southern AZ has some pretty decent caves. (Leather seats were a big plus 'cause they're easy to clean the mud off of.) VXcaver aka THESHOE has become my sidekick, and everyone around knows me by the big bat on the hood. So anyhow... that's where VXcaver comes from.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/17vxb.jpg

TEN36VX
05/28/2005, 09:08 AM
Centurions were the "police" of their day in ancient Rome. New Centurions were an nickname one of my police academy instructors had for cops. So when I became one I started using the handle... Plus I couldnt come up with anything better. It used to be my email address but it gets old typing all that in time after time.

Ldub
05/28/2005, 12:50 PM
My initials are LW...wink, wink...say no more.

dkmiller68
05/28/2005, 02:41 PM
dkmiller = name
68 = year of high school graduation

thedutchguy
05/28/2005, 02:55 PM
Guess what?
I'm DUTCH ! and I live in the Netherlands and I'm a guy! ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy;

GOVEHIX
05/29/2005, 05:04 PM
it is simply my customized license plate name: GOVEHIX
i guess the name is pretty cool and it fits the forum a lot!

transio
05/29/2005, 06:22 PM
Transio was the name of my short-lived transportation software company. I've used the handle for years - on 100+ forums and other online services. It's just something that's easy for me to remember. I've recently had thoughts about reviving the company. :)

I used to use Cat Splatter when I was younger... it was based upon an idea I had for a video game called Cat Splat. I still own www.catsplat.com :)

Another handle I'm beginning to use is Essinem. My initials are SM - and I was thinking of making www.essinem.com my homepage a la Eminem. I dunno, what do you guys think?

Ldub
05/29/2005, 07:02 PM
Transio,
Bet you would get LOTS of hits from some very interesting people. :p

Velvis
05/29/2005, 08:21 PM
velvet elvis -- the classiest above sofa art

Triathlete
05/30/2005, 11:25 AM
Thats funny...the first Tucson VX get togethers destination was the Velvet Elvis. Its a small restraunt in Patagonia, Az. that has great pizza!

Rooster
05/30/2005, 12:08 PM
I have several call signs. I use Rooster because I'm a cocky SOB...

LOL, J/K!! It came to me one day when I was thinking of a nickname for a 4wd board I'm on. Then I remembered having a 76 CJ-5 that I wanted to blow the motor up (232 6 banger with lousy compression). So I went to a local mud hole and got her good and stuck. Floored it and shot 50ft rooster tails from all 4 corners. Hence the name Rooster. Interestingly enough I'm a member of a club called FRC. Free Ranging Chickens...

newthings
05/30/2005, 11:13 PM
Newthings -- Well, there always are...
Roy

mjd709
05/31/2005, 09:34 AM
I've used this handle for about 8 years

mjd= initials
709= in the late 90's I was a big fanboy of Star Trek Voyager's 7 of 9.

Raque Thomas
05/31/2005, 07:40 PM
I've used this handle for about 8 years

mjd= initials
709= in the late 90's I was a big fanboy of Star Trek Voyager's 7 of 9.

OOH yeah.....I'd like to go 6 of 9 with 7 of 9! :p

nyc #1 ironman
06/01/2005, 05:39 AM
Mine is NYC #1 IRONMAN because I'm NYC's #1 IRONMAN... lolololoolo,,

BlackVX
06/01/2005, 09:32 AM
Hmmm yeah, this is embarrasing. I must have one of the most generic and boring username of this forum. I like my avatar though!

CrnCnn
05/25/2007, 07:27 PM
I found this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6221&page=1&pp=15&highlight=hood+insert) and thought it was pretty cool But it looks like we cant post anymore to it. I like the thread because it lets me know a little more about the people i enjoy conversing with on here. If you never posted to the old one then put up your info.

So I will start a new one.

Why did you pick your call sign?

Heres mine;

Prepare yourself, for restarting this mine is really boring.

Simple. Crn my initials, Cnn my wife’s initials.

Moncha
05/25/2007, 08:06 PM
I reopened and merged the threads..

(If a thread has no action for 365 days it gets moved into the archives.. If you ever want a thread reopened, just let me know and I'll take care of it)

CrnCnn
05/25/2007, 09:19 PM
I reopened and merged the threads..

(If a thread has no action for 365 days it gets moved into the archives.. If you ever want a thread reopened, just let me know and I'll take care of it)

Thank you sir. I liked reading this thread, hopefully more people do as well and add their info.

etlsport
05/26/2007, 05:14 AM
ETL = my initials
SPORT = any number of fun competitive activities

i been using that name since 6th grade so gimme a break! i created it 1997!! the days of dial-up AOL.. when AOL wasnt a virus lol

DeepSilentComplete
05/26/2007, 07:50 AM
I chose "Deep Silent Complete" because it is one of my favorite Nightwish songs. Nightwish was/is a symphonic metal group out of Finland. The song is dedicated to the oceans. As a long-time sailor of small sailboats (Beetlecats forever!!), former Marine Corps aviator with more than a bit of time on Navy ships, and a passion for all things sung by Tarja Turunen, it fit very well.

In your creation heaven did decree
That in your arms sweet death should dwell
Deep Silent Complete
Black Velvet Sea
The sirens are calling for me

Saved my soul thinking "This song's a lie"
Sand on the shore is so dry
Deep Silent Complete
Black Velvet Sea
Brave day sinking in endless night

The age will say "This poet lies"
Heaven never touched earthly face
The age will say "This night was ours"
Blessed with the Deep
The Silent the Complete

Yeah, a bit esoteric, or just plain strange. You decide...

cyronman
05/26/2007, 07:52 AM
In emails and such, I shorten my real name to Cy.
Just quick and easier to use, kind of an alias as well.

When I bought my Ironman, I just thought replacing the "I" in Iron with "CY"
for "Cy-urn-man" was a simple screen name to use.

So no, Ronman is not my last name.

dynofan
05/26/2007, 08:21 AM
Comes from a franchise I got into quite awhile ago for Child
Protection Services. Our puppet character is named Yello Dyno; thus, dynofan!

Y33TREKker
05/26/2007, 09:51 AM
I guess I just have a thing for unique vehicles. At about the same time I was searching for a VX, I found and purchased another unique ride I had been a fan of for awhile. A TREK Y33, carbon fiber, y-framed mountain bike. Like the VX, I consider the Y33 to be not only a mode of transport, but something of a work of art. Anyway, I had the bike, but not the VX, when I started posting here, and Y33TREKKER had something of an off-road sound to it, so I went with it. Have been enjoying both ever since.

CoastieCosta567
05/26/2007, 10:03 AM
Mine is CostieCosta, well i spelled it wrong and never fixed it, it really is suppose to be CoastieCosta. Coastie = for me joining the Coast Guard, and Costa = is cuz I'm from Costa Rica. So No my name is not Costie, just a type error :eek: oops. lol.

Triathlete
05/26/2007, 03:51 PM
former Marine Corps aviator with more than a bit of time on Navy ships,

DSC, so when were you with Q2? Cherry Point! I was there from 83ish till 86 with VMA(AW)224!

TexVeX
05/26/2007, 05:41 PM
Mine is obvious. TexVx = I'm a Texas VX fan. On many of my various forums I am Tex + whatever word goes well with the forums. Adding the prefix Tex often gives me the name I want with it. However there is a drawback to that. People frequently expect such a prefix to be a guy, but I am a gal.

When I joined here though I would have been more creative had I realized there was already someone called Texasvx. I at least wish I had called myself TexVeX because that is how I would pronounce the name TexVx. And Vex might suit me since I am a redhead and a Taurus with the typical temper to go with it.

PHO2GR4
05/26/2007, 05:56 PM
PHO2GR4 = Photographer.

It's also the license plate on my 350Z Roadster. That way, people will assume there is all sorts of expensive camera gear inside and break into it.

:eek: D'OH!!!!

Triathlete
05/26/2007, 10:08 PM
PHO2GR4 = Photographer.

It's also the license plate on my 350Z Roadster. That way, people will assume there is all sorts of expensive camera gear inside and break into it.

:eek: D'OH!!!!

HHMMmmm! Maybe thats why no one ever breaks into my VX! Liscence plate reads "ZUICIDL"! :deady:

shoota77
05/27/2007, 10:28 AM
Shoota came from my prep hockey days. A few of us were discussing post-goal celebrations and I was getting my balls busted for never doing one. Fast forward to my next score and I pulled out the "Shoota!" from Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore and it has stuck. I wore 77 until high school and it's my lucky number.

ZEUS
05/27/2007, 11:59 AM
ISUZUS = ISUZEUS = ZEUS So I named my VX, Zeus - I don't really think I am a god... give me time though, I do live in Utah! ;Dy;

Ascinder
05/27/2007, 12:59 PM
Ascinder was a name that I came across in a dream. It was one of those very prophetic type dreams where some ominous, imposing figure told me that my true name was Ascinder Etherember. Whatever that's supposed to mean :confused: , anyways I figured I'd use it on forums and such.

CoastieCosta567
05/27/2007, 03:47 PM
Ascinder was a name that I came across in a dream. It was one of those very prophetic type dreams where some ominous, imposing figure told me that my true name was Ascinder Etherember. Whatever that's supposed to mean :confused: , anyways I figured I'd use it on forums and such.

i used to think u had an Isuzu Acsender and thats why u name ur self that, :p .

fuzzy
05/27/2007, 05:59 PM
Mine has to do with my always stylish haircut... that I've had since 1987 when I went from shoulder-length hair to my Marine-inspired horseshoe flat-top. Since this was/is not the typical Air Force haircut, it got/gets attention although less now than it did 15-20 years ago. There are numerous folks in the Air Force that only know me by Fuzzy and have no idea what my first name is... not that I use it anyway, but that's another story. It's always a hoot to go to serious/official conferences/meetings and find a badge waiting for me with "Fuzzy" on it vs. my real name.

TexVeX
05/28/2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the name change, Moncha. I am now TexVeX instead of TexVx. I'm an annoying, distressing, perplexity now, heheh. Many would agree to that, too.

mdwyer
05/28/2007, 09:35 AM
My callsign, literally, is N0ZAP... the N because I'm in America, the zero because I'm in ITU zone 0. The ZAP part is just a bunch of letters.

The FCC showed a little humor when they assigned me that one.

My login name is just first initial, last name. Booooring. :)

Dino
05/28/2007, 09:53 AM
Dino is really a nicname. Dean is my real name but everyone calls me Dino.

The BANDIT thing came from Rowhard, He gave me the handle because I "stole" a 2000 VX for $5K. :p

Mr.Badguy
05/29/2007, 04:21 PM
It has been great reading through everyone's posts on how they got their nicknames, or why they chose their handle. I don't post very often, but i enjoy what i read on this forum and what all everyone has to say.

I've been using my handle on-line since 1994. It actually comes from a album title and song written by Freddie Mercury, his first solo work, and whom i beleive to be one of the worlds few musical geniuses. The song is about a simple guy that let's everyone indulge in all their fantasies, thus making him a "bad guy". Of course the album/song i am referring to are Mr. Bad Guy. Its not meant to be taken seriously. just a lot of fun.

I read a post here from someone that enjoys Nightwish. within the past 2 years i've discovered Nightwish after a friend said i should try listening to them, and that i might like the group. The music is definitly different, but amazing. Great to see another VXer into Nightwish, too bad Tarja was asked to leave the band. They wont be the same.

I guess you can say music inspires me.

Boogieman
05/30/2007, 09:11 AM
Mine has sort of two meaning, though they both came from the same inspiration.

I used to be really into combat flight simulators. Was a big hobby, studied combat flight tactics and maneuvering, etc. Did online flight sims, dogfighting and mission based stuff. My wife loved it, as you can imagine. Anyway... I chose the callsign "Boogieman", which was a nickname I had back in college in my rock 'n roll days.

I used Mesa-Boogie guitar amps.

tom4bren
05/30/2007, 10:53 AM
Mine is a fairly simple story too. My name is Tom and my wife is Bren. Since many of you are married you will understand that once the honeydew list reaches a certain length, it SEEMS like everything you do is 4 her. Hence tom4bren.

Only kidding Hon ...

Actually I had to start a personal email account for my wife so I used tom4bren@... It stuck & I use it all the time now. Besides, the only other nickname I've ever had is ******* and I just didn't like using it for myself (I took perverse pride in it until I earned it for the third time - then I realized things had to change).

BTW: that honeydew list is the reason that I haven't changed my CVs yet and the VX hasn't been driven in 2 weeks. I'm getting the shakes from withdrawal though so I'd better get on it this weekend. Maybe I'll even take some photos of the rubber to felt swap on the window tracks too.

FIEND
05/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Actually now mine is even more fitting.

I sometimes refer to being married as the dark times.While in those dark times I used to stay online as much as possible to stay out of the way of my ex.I originally had a screen name many moons ago "Bombman" referring to my ex Army days...not realizing that that might not be the best choice of names...LOL.

My ex was yelling about something and told me I was and internet fiend.So at that moment I went to every gaming site I was on and every message board and changed my name to FIEND(all caps because I am THE FIEND...lol.

I do have a love for Skulls,Pirates,Death,Hell and decomposer as well as dark and violent music so it does fit....besides when your in a gaming room you want to be tough sounding so had to have a tough sounding name...LOL.

The name has stuck now for about 12 years or thereabouts and I have to say it has grown on me to the point where it is on my hat and some shirts...LOL

nfpgasmask
05/30/2007, 04:48 PM
NFP = No Future Productions (http://www.nofuture.com)
GasMask cause I collect (used to anyway) gas masks. (http://www.gasmasks.net)

Simple enough and I can remember it. Also my CS:Source handle.

Bart