PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Detent

scarpezio
02/14/2005, 04:06 PM
Is there supposed to be a detent at 'D' when moving the the shifter from 'N' to 'D'. My VX (just purchased) goes right thru to '3' and it's annoying to have to move it back to 'D' - unless that's the way it's supposed to be. I can live with it but inquiring minds have nothing much to obsess about :)

Moncha
02/14/2005, 04:19 PM
Nope,, yours is fine. At least, that ishow mine works too.

SilverBullet75
02/15/2005, 08:52 AM
I remembered this thread when I got in my car this morning... mine has a firm stop at Drive. There is effort to put it in 3rd. Hope that doesn't scare you.

deermagnet
02/15/2005, 09:41 AM
Sounds like everything is fine with your shifter. Where you see the black arrows, you can shift freely without pushing the button. To shift in positions shown with the white arrows, you must push the button first.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/img/img4/shift.png

Mark

Tone
02/15/2005, 01:03 PM
Once you press the button and move to reverse, you can move all the way to 3rd and back to N WITHOUT pressing the button - back out of the driveway and then move it to D or 3 - 3rd is prefered for city driving so the VX has more power does not have to unlock the converter and downshift so often.

mrtew
02/15/2005, 05:42 PM
To the first poster.... are you saying your shifter doesn't stop at all at the D position or just that it doesn't lock into D and require the button to move further? Mine definitely stops very securely in D before moving further down to 3, but it doesn't lock in D.

Sheik-YurBooty
02/15/2005, 07:26 PM
Tone, what do you mean when you stated 3rd is prefered for city driving? Can you please explain, and at what speed can you take it to in 3rd w/out harming the tranny? Thanx, Bruce

scarpezio
02/15/2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info. The diagram explained it perfectly. Yes, the shifter has a detent in D but I was curious as to if it should stop in D and require a button push to go to 3. Diagram says no so it is working as expected

xdfarrx
02/15/2005, 10:45 PM
I think Tone pretty clear as what he said. The tranny is going to do less shifting in third, as the torque converter as well, subsequently being easier on the tranny... and use the power button which also tightens shifting. Do search for further explanation on this topic... :)

cascabel3
02/16/2005, 10:19 AM
It goes from N-D-3 with out having to press the button because there is no damage if you do so at any speed. Going from 3 to 2 however could cause damage at higher speeds, hence it is locked in the two lowest gears, and reverse. This set-up is pretty much standard for 4 speed auto trannies.