PDA

View Full Version : Adding transmission cooler

dkmiller68
02/14/2005, 04:21 AM
I will be soon added a transmission cooler to the VX. I was planning on removing the bumper soon to get in there and start measuring to see what will fit. Has anyone already done this? There are many choices to purchase, ranging greatly in BTU ratings and physical sizes. My search of the archieves yielded nothingI plan on trailering a 2000 pound vehicle to Colorado on the way to Moab this May.

Tone
02/14/2005, 07:46 AM
You must be certain not over cool the fluid as that will cause functional problems. I suggest you connect a tranny temp guage first and see if it is really need as there is already a cooler built into the radiator that the fluid is sent though. If you tow heavy loads consistently in hot weather or in the mountains, then definitely but get one that has a temperature sansing valve to control the cooling.

Dallas4u
02/14/2005, 08:01 AM
Tone is correct... over-cooling isn't good, either. Besides, you may just be spending money where it isn't needed. If you find you COULD benefit from a tranny cooler, they are pretty simple to install... you just have to find a place to mount it.

I installed one on my '97 Prelude as it was an auto with "sport shift". Many other owners had noted that the tranny fluid temps would get pretty high because of the stress a lot of the mods were putting on the tranny. I did a few mods to improve performance, but the manuals were really meant for that... so anything I did that made a significant difference in HP/torque put more stress on the tranny, hence a possible need to cool it down.

dkmiller68
02/14/2005, 07:07 PM
What should the transmission fluid tempreature be (realizing that ambient tempreature is a big factor)? Any specs on that?

dkmiller68
02/15/2005, 06:24 PM
here's a little cut and paste from Amsoil...
Over 40 percent of total energy loss in an automatic transmission can be attributed to the act of pumping automatic transmission fluid to the transmission's working components during transfer of power. The mechanical efficiency of an automatic transmission is directly affected by the viscosity of the transmission fluid. When temperatures drop and cause ATF to thicken, transmission efficiency and power decline. Industry tests on torque loss demonstrate that a temperature increase of 150 degrees F increases transmission efficiency by up to 37.5 percent. In other words, as viscosity decreases, transmission efficiency increases.

Higher quality automatic transmission fluids can have a profound impact on transmission efficiency. Automatic transmission fluids with lower cold temperature pumpability properties effectively keep transmissions running efficiently during cold weather, maximizing both transmission power and fuel economy.

dkmiller68
02/15/2005, 06:28 PM
another cut and paste...

B&M Environmental Control System
For drag race vehicles that have a hard time maintaining consistent transmission fluid temperature. With the (#70266) B&M Supercooler you have the B&M Environmental Control System. This system will assist in maintaining the proper transmission fluid temperature (160 - 200 deg.).