PDA

View Full Version : Using synthetic gear oil??

Tornado
02/12/2005, 08:11 AM
Hello,
If you switch to a synthetic gear oil, are you stuck with always having to use it? Or can you switch back? I recently went with a synthetic up front and out back, (Valvoline 75-90 GL-5) and now I notice a slight hummm while coasting at a lower speed around right hand corners. I also added 2 bottles of the BG LS II additive. The dealer is keeping it for a few things, and their going to check on it, but I thought I'd run it through you guy's (and gals)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

psychos2
02/12/2005, 08:16 AM
you can switch back without a problem.i don't think anyone has had problems with synthetic gear lube.i have synthetic with 1 lsd additive added and no problems. shawn

VCrossfan
02/12/2005, 11:57 AM
I use.. Royal Purple Max Gear..75w140...front/rear...no additive needed. No problems. Look on ebay for a seller named "racer17k" (Karl Racing Royal Purple oil) is his store name. Price was right and fast shipping. He also had the ATF oil...

Joe_Black
02/12/2005, 02:25 PM
Most synthetics are fully compatible, so you can go back and forth or even blend. As for the hum, since it's audible during a coasting turn, it could very well be gear noise. When you're decelerating the wheels often turn the driveline, which means the back-side of the gear faces get engaged. Since they're not worn in like the the other, normally driven side it'll make noise like a fresh gear set.

This is just an idea based on experience, so I can't say for sure without hearing yours in person. But it's something to think about. ;Do;

Andrey
02/12/2005, 03:22 PM
I use Royal Purple everywhere but engine - very satisfied (should've done that day one !) Drive is much smoother adn lower in noise and humm..

Kahuna
02/13/2005, 09:57 AM
I use Mobil 1 with NO problems.

xdfarrx
02/13/2005, 07:06 PM
I had to get 4 bottles of LDS additive... I was tripping but that resolved it. Might want to add more.

DK
02/13/2005, 07:44 PM
I use Royal Purple everywhere but engine - very satisfied (should've done that day one !) Drive is much smoother adn lower in noise and humm..

A friend who drives Porsche and Ferrari was waxing enthusiastic about syn oil for the engine the other day. Says he uses it in all his cars. I'm curious. Why don't you use it in the engine?

kpaske
02/13/2005, 09:00 PM
I use AMSOIL products all around - engine, tranny, gear boxes, xfer case... when I first swapped everything over I noticed everything was moving much smoother. They are a bit expensive, but I believe they've got the best product around.

redline
02/14/2005, 02:28 PM
For what it's worth,I use the Royal Purple in my Bike's.

Shortstop
12/22/2005, 05:08 AM
2 Kahuna: do you use any LS additives? any idea as to what brand would be compatible with mobil's 75W90?

VX crazy
12/22/2005, 05:45 AM
I switched all fluids to Royal Purple when I first got mine also, I use Max Gear 75 140 with NO additive, and you can really tell a difference in smoothness when you switch all fluids to Royal Purple, could be in my head I guess.....