PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Restrictive Elbow

Sheik-YurBooty
02/12/2005, 04:47 AM
Does anyone have Instructions and/or a diagram that could help me in removing the Restrictive Elbow? I would like to create this mod as soon as possible...Thankx, Bruce

SPAZZ
02/12/2005, 06:02 AM
just remove air box and install a cone filter...turn the elbow facing up so that stuff has a harder time flinging in to the new cone filter.
when you install the cone filter use a bracket to stable the cone filter in place as not to flap around precariously.

I have Calmini's air filter with their bracket installed. every so often just use a K&N filter recharge kit to recharge the filter

Moncha
02/12/2005, 08:44 AM
If you don't want to do the cone filter thing.... All you need to do is remove the airbox, leaving the extension that runs to the fender. On the fender towards the front, you will see the "Elbow", remove that. Not much to it.

Sheik-YurBooty
02/12/2005, 06:38 PM
Thx for your fast responses both Spazz & Moncha. Is the elbow in the engine compartmant, if so , where ?

psychos2
02/12/2005, 06:46 PM
the elbow is between the fender and the air filter box.you need to remove the filter box to remove the elbow.i believe there are 2 bolts holding the filter box.then remove the S shaped piece that holds the elbow to the box.then remove the elbow and reinstall the filter box. shawn

Tone
02/12/2005, 07:28 PM
2 bolts inside the box and 1 nut outside that can be very difficult to remove as it is on top of a threaded stud.

SPAZZ
02/12/2005, 08:55 PM
the restrivive elbow is connected to the air box and goes into drivers side corner fender. You must remove the airbox first to more easily get to the elbow...rip that thing out...might be a good thing to rig some sort of screen to block mud and any debree that could possibly come in through the hole and or airbox too

Sheik-YurBooty
02/12/2005, 09:17 PM
Just take it out is all? No loose threads to put back? Seems simple enough.....Now once its removed, what would the difference be?

Sheik-YurBooty
02/12/2005, 09:42 PM
Now what type of air filter, cone or stock type? :confused:

psychos2
02/13/2005, 06:16 AM
I went with a K&N drop in filter.goes right in the stock air filter box. shawn

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/13/2005, 06:17 AM
that depends on what you want to do. If you're removing the restrictive elbow and than reinstalling the factory airbox you simply use the filter you have or install a K&N filter (Autozone; Advance; etc..) because without the restrictive elbow you get more air flowing into your factory airbox once you reinstall it.

or, as Spazz says....forgo the factory airbox and put on a cone filter by either using his setup of the Calmini version or get a cold air intake from
Morgan-Tec.....etc...

Your Factory Airbox gets its air by sucking through what is likened to a flattened straw! By removing the restrictive elbow...you let your factory airbox breath easier...and by tossing your current filter and adding a K&N to your factory airbox....it breathes easier yet.....and by tossing your complete factory airbox w/ filter and going to a cone filter setup via Calmini or a cold air intake w/ cone filter by Morgan Tech it'll breathe even easier...get it?

it's all progressive...how much you want to do depends on how much you want to spend.

remove elbow & reinstall factory airbox----your time
replace factory air-filter with K&N filter to factory airbox---something like $40
remove factory airbox&filter; go with Calmini-----something like $80 I think
remove factory aibox&filter; go with Morgan Tec cold air intake & cone filter--
around $200 depending on powdercoating choices.

SPAZZ
02/14/2005, 02:52 PM
the reason Calmini charges so much for their cone filter, is that it comes with a metal bracket that uses the stock air box bolts. It make the cone filter stable so as not to flap around and get damaged. it connects to one of the MAFS(Mass Air Flow Sensor) bolts and I can't remember if one or two of the air box hole locations...but as always save all of your stock mounting hardware.

If you check my Gallery, you can see a pic of my Dual Optima setup with the cone filter. Removal of the airbox allows for very tight installation for another battery.