PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Economy with Power Mode

BritVX
02/08/2005, 04:20 AM
I know evryone is always going on about fuel economy but I just wanted to report my findings from my power mode test.
I did one tank of fuel in normal mode and got 18.7/UKgal then one tank in power mode and got 20.3 over the same route.
Not a big deal on the fuel front but the power mode has really put the pep back into my VX after changing to bigger diameter tyres without a fuel cost so I'm a really happy bunny.

Col

t2p
02/08/2005, 05:55 AM
You are not the first one to report these findings.
However, I do find this to be 'odd' ....... because it is (basically) contradictory to generally accepted and tested theories of automobile fuel economy.

BritVX
02/08/2005, 08:50 AM
I thought the same i.e. more power must equal more fuel consumption however if power mode keeps you in a lower gear for longer it's more efficient at getting you to a higher speed, rather than chugging along in a higher gear.
I don't know if the power mode also effects engine management but if it does it may be making it more efficent as well.
The only thing to do is try yourself, it only costs a tank of gas!

Col

Ldub
02/08/2005, 10:20 AM
I seem to remember reading in past posts that the trans. locks up tighter in the power mode,causing it to be more efficient.

sveltax
02/08/2005, 04:25 PM
I get better gas mileage with the Power button on all the time. I get at least 30 - 40 miles better per fill up. I also use Mobil 1, KN air filter, PV muffler. (Not to mention 33" tires.) Vehicle is an Isuzu Axiom.

LiquidVX
02/09/2005, 07:49 AM
I can understand power mode increasing MPG for city driving. But I do lots of highway driving. I just don't understand how power mode will help my highway MPG.

BritVX
02/10/2005, 04:12 AM
I suppose it depends on the type of highway but over here in the UK the one I use daily is fast flowing but full of trucks, I need the ability to accelerate and change lanes fast. When I changed my tyres to a larger diameter I lost the usual umph, the power mode has given it back but isn't costing me gas as I originally thought it would.

Col