PDA

View Full Version : CarFax anyone?

Johnny Bravo
02/05/2005, 11:28 AM
Just wondering if anybody here happens to have a current CarFax account going. I'm going to check out the '99 VX I posted about a few days ago and will get the VIN so I can check out the history of it more thoroughly. Thanks in advance... :)

Offroad vx
02/05/2005, 03:45 PM
From what I recall you don't really need an account, enter the vin and it will tell you there are x amount of entries then you pay them around $15 then they'll let you know what they are.

WyrreJ
02/05/2005, 06:14 PM
Those anonymous entries are not necessarily bad events, usually they are just registrations and such.

One thing to keep in mind with carfax (and the other similar services) is that they are FAR from comprehensive. In other words, if carfax says something bad happened to the car, they are probably correct. If carfax says the car has a clean history, they could easily be wrong because their database may just be missing the data on the bad events that happened to the car.

Johnny Bravo
02/06/2005, 12:57 AM
Good point WyrreJ. There are a number of states that don't even report some issues and could be a salvage auto yet not show up on the title. This particular VX appears to be from PA (previous registration stickers and whatnot) which typically is thorough with their reporting so hopeuflly it'll have good records in that respect.