PDA

View Full Version : Pitting (?) On 18" Stock Wheels

dobie3
03/05/2003, 01:28 PM
I noticed some rust or pitting - I think - on two of my stock 18-inch wheels - stock. I'm seeing freckle-size brown spots which don't seem to disappear with a quality chrome polish. Any thoughts?

Also, I have couple of scratches on the cladding where, it seems, another car door has hit. Any thoughts on how I might remedy this?

Thanks,
Chris.:(

skullcap
03/05/2003, 08:42 PM
How much salt do they use to melt the winter roads in Idaho?

My guess: you're seeing pitting in the aluminum alloy wheel with added effect from the chrome plating. Best thing would be to keep your wheels and undercarriage rinsed if any salt film begins to show. The next thing to do is contact your IDOT maintenance shop and ask them if they're using salt deicers.

Common chloride salts are cheap and effective, but they have all kind of nasty effects on water quality and the environment, not to mention metals. There are better alternatives like calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) and potassium acetate (PKA) that have little if any adverse effects on anythign and can be absorbed by plants.

So, you might want to impress-upon IDOT to change deicers.

Of course, if you've not been driving in winter road conditions, it may just be naturally occurring salts. Again, keep you're rims clean. I don't know much about waxes n' wheels, but a good coat of wax might also keep the elements off of your wheels.

About your door-dinged cladding, I can only say don't try to get close-in parking spaces. I park in the outer rim of the galaxy to minimize encounters with careless drivers, hostile consumers and -worse -shopping carts when I'm parked in a lot.

Vasha13
03/06/2003, 06:26 AM
Also, pitting and peeling of rims is a known problem with our rims and you can usually get the rims replaced under warranty (sometimes you have to fuss a little but usually you can do it). I am taking mine to the dealership tomorrow for that same problem.

dobie3
03/06/2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your help. Actually, the roads in North Idaho and eastern Washington are not salted. Eastern WA uses a de-icing solution. (We lived most of our lives in the northeast - NYC & NH -and I believe those states have also quit using salt.)

Anyway, I'm shortly due for the 21K check, so I'll tke your advice and inquire as to possible replacements. It's not a big deal, but it could get worse. Also, I think I'll order the Collinite chrome polishing compound, and I'd be happy to share with my experience with the board.

If can at least retard the process, I can live with it.

andy454
03/07/2003, 06:16 AM
That happened to me on all 4. There were large pieces that were peeling off on the inside of the rims. They replaced all 4 for no charge. They did have to call the rep on it though. Just stay after them and they should take care of it.

skullcap
03/07/2003, 06:30 AM
Fortunately, I've not noticed any distortion in my 2000 stock rims. But now that I know there's been some history, I also know to keep my eyes open. After all, I did have the wet mat problem.

Like dealer's service manager said, the Japanese build consistency into auto-manufacturing, so if a problem shows-up in one, it's very likely to show-up in others.