PDA

View Full Version : Changing orange to red interior

sot
02/05/2005, 08:13 AM
I've looked into having the red leather interior dyed to a true red. Not sure if the panels can be painted though. Has anyone researched this yet, or am I just pipe dreaming????

mbeach
02/05/2005, 08:19 AM
I've considered this as well (the panels).
They can be upholstered with UltraSuede (Alcantara) or painted with the Krylon Fusion paint -they are just plastic.

kpaske
02/05/2005, 11:06 AM
I don't remember who it was, but someone here repainted the interior panels of their proton VX yellow to match the exterior. It turned out REALLY nice.

mbeach - can you tell us more about the Ultra Suede interior? Did you get a price quote?

Raque Thomas
02/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Check out Rickster's gallery - he's painted his interior panels and his cladding twice, and reports that he has had no issue with flaking, peeling, or chipping. It looks really good!

mbeach
02/05/2005, 12:52 PM
You can find bolts of it on eBay. Look for Ultrasuede or Alcantara, it's sold by the yard. I reupholstered my '97 S14 for less than $100 dollars (I do the work myself). This was enough material to do the headliner, door inserts and rear package shelf. More than enough to do the VX doors. I plan to do the doors in black, as well as the dash (when I get the final shape figured out) -this'll cut down glare.

It's easy to work with, just some spray adhesive and some patience will do it. It stretches in all directions, but you still have to plan your installation to minimize waste.

I'll post some links to the fabric I'm talking about.

This is more than enough material to do the doors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=83926&item=8167695795&rd=1

Ldub
02/05/2005, 06:53 PM
JollyRogerVX'er has some good photos in his gallery of his dash paint job,there was also a thread regarding what type of paint he used,but I can't find it.
It looked really good & is something I'm thinking about for the near future.

sot
02/05/2005, 09:09 PM
Hey, thanks for the info! Will most likely re-dye the leather, and use the Krylon fusion paint (of course, pending $$$). I'll post before and after pics at some point if i get the guts enuf to do it.
Sot

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/06/2005, 10:15 AM
JollyRogerVX'er has some good photos in his gallery of his dash paint job,there was also a thread regarding what type of paint he used,but I can't find it.
It looked really good & is something I'm thinking about for the near future.

I bought two colors...black "rubberized" spray-paint and red
"rubberized" spray-paint from "Lowes" and tried them out on my aftermarket shifter as I wanted a rubber "grip" on the shifter as opposed to the feel of regular paint, plus I didn't like the original red on shifter as it was more a maroon color.

I later got brave and used the red "rubberized" paint on my dash trim and around the power/winter buttons on shifter console and around the mirror controls/defroster buttons. All of these switches and buttons are easily removed after disconnecting wiring harnesses. Just be sure to wash any parts before painting to remove dust and contaminents such as armor all...etc...

I also recommend the "blue" masking tape for masking off areas as it sticks pretty good but doesn't leave any glue behind once you remove it. Also let the paint thoroughly dry before pulling tape and run a razor blade along the masking tape prior to removing it as the rubber paint has a habit of hanging onto the masking tape with tenacity! I've been really happy with how it turned out and am glad I went through with it!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181

Hope this helps!

Kahuna
02/07/2005, 09:12 AM
Tigger has had his interior painted to purple. He had it dyed. Although purple it's not my color it did look very nice. I'm not sure if he has any pics. But I'm sure if you ask him, he will post. I think his handle is "Tigger', "greeentigger" I really don't remember.

Anita
02/07/2005, 09:16 AM
tiggergreen :)