PDA

View Full Version : Targa VX

V12BMW
01/28/2005, 01:10 AM
I'm really flirting with the idea if slicing off my roof, adding a moonroof, or putting in one of those moonroofs the mini coppers have the really big one. I was just wondering if anyone has done this to there VX so I could get some pointers. I really want to make it into a targa top like a corvette or my dream car an acura NSX.
This kid my buddy knows owns a customizing shop and I might have him or Detroit Customs do it. I'm gonna get some quotes from some places this week. hopefully they will do it for less that 2k, and maybe just maybe depending on how the money thing goes you might see a targa top VX at moab 05. My goal is to have it dont before summer here in MI.
Maybe if this mod works well I can convince others to do it as well and we can get an exclusive targa club going. :p

WormGod
01/28/2005, 08:19 AM
Beat ya to it! :p ;)

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Misc/vx/vx_sun01.jpg

LiquidVX
01/28/2005, 08:31 AM
wow that is real? I thought it was just photoshop. N1 dood

Moncha
01/28/2005, 08:52 AM
Oh! Just what we need is a bunch of folks that think they're exclusive running around in Moab! ;eeko;

(Inside joke)

Triathlete
01/28/2005, 12:03 PM
wow that is real? I thought it was just photoshop. N1 dood

But Wormgod didn't like it so he superglued the full top back on! :bgwo:

V12BMW
01/28/2005, 03:25 PM
No, I wouldn't be exclusive. Thats not real worm.

thebear54
01/28/2005, 03:42 PM
If that's NOT real WormGod....it's one hell of a sweet look and someone with a few thousand spare dollars should invest in building that VX-Targa. :)
John

LittleBeast
01/28/2005, 03:53 PM
Personally I think it looks terrible.

nyc #1 ironman
01/28/2005, 08:24 PM
T-tops with the bar down the middle would look "SICK" wish we could do it to the VX or the sunroof that goes from the front to the back. I think Tone said because of the ridges in the roof we wouldn't be able to :confused:

WormGod
01/28/2005, 09:31 PM
Jesus no! I would never massacre my VX for that look! Photoshop allows you to dream of the unthinkable though.

Bill Brown
01/29/2005, 10:29 AM
Gary's Photoshop mod is outstandingly realistic. It faked me out; I thought it was an actual mod. Though I prefer an intact roof structure, I think the Targa VX looks cool.

azskyrider
01/29/2005, 11:00 AM
Looks nice but the shape in my opinion would look even more like an Amigo.

Rooster
02/04/2005, 04:23 PM
Actually I really dig that look!

sot
02/05/2005, 08:08 AM
I dig it, except for the rear end work!! I own a blck VX here in St. Louis. Constantly getting the looks and comments What is that, an 05 what!?!? (debadged) Everytime I look at purchasing a new vehi ie. 05 Pathfinder, I realize I just cannot part w my Sotmobile.

V12BMW
02/14/2005, 09:20 PM
It does look like a amigo but im not talking bout cutting the back off just the front, but with no T tops. I was gonna do it but my extra targa money when towards a down payment on and 2005 Yamaha 450YFZ Quad :)

WormGod
02/15/2005, 08:24 AM
I believe one reason why you do not see t-tops and targas on SUVs (well, vehicles with that full cab and rear space), is because at higher speeds, that rear will become such an intense vacuum that passengers in the rear, and eventually the front as speed increases, will be enveloped into an intense "walloping" sound. Many may get that with just having a removable or retractable sunroof, but it wouldnt be as bad as an actual removable cab roof space. I installed an oversized sunroof on my Amigo some years back and I couldnt take out the sunroof unless the rear soft top was removed. That vacuum and compression in the rear got so bad at higher speeds that the soft top was actually tearing at the connection pins. It basically acted as an umbrella or a parachute. I think auto designers keep this in mind when creating SUVs cause even with no removable rear like the AMigo, that vaccuum/compression still exists. I don't how this may affect your driving performance or car stability, but I know that having that sound of air concussion blown into your ears 5 times a second sucked, heh.

sot
02/15/2005, 04:27 PM
Maybe I overlooked the overall plan, but any idea on how hard/easy it would be to put the top back in on a rainy day and/or if it could be stored inside the vehicle like other t -tops. I'd be really interested in seeing this work! An employee at the MO Air Emmisions testing site asked me if my Blk 99 was a Porsche! Having a Magnaflow single in dual out exhaust being installed tomorrow AM,,,can't wait!!!!
Thanks,
Sot

WormGod
02/15/2005, 06:17 PM
I dont think a drawing/diagram would help really. If you did t-tops, the rear compartment would easily fit 2 panels. No way it would fit a full targa panel unless you payed it over the rear seats. Those panels would be heavy regardless. You would want a plexiglass fabrication of the panels and have them fitted with the proper seals and mounts so they would fit back in securely. VERY intricate planning and fabrication would take place for this entire project to work correctly. I neither have the time, money, or spare VX to junk in case it failed, to make this happen, haha.

coachreed
02/15/2005, 08:16 PM
Not only does that photoshop job look kick arse... I LOVE the look! If I had more than one VX, I'd SERIOUSLY consider doing it... oh wait, I DO have more than one VX... hmmm... finish motor swap, get the cut-off wheel out and go to town... btw, I HAVE done something rash like that before... chopped the top (ala targa style) off of my '69 Grand Prix... looked awsome... wish I still had the pictures... great... here I go again... thinking of stuff to do before I finish one project! DAMN YOU!

Later!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery... (http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000)

BritVX
02/16/2005, 04:36 AM
I've been putting a lot of thought into this subject, there was a thread running a while back covering the same theme. This summer I will definately be chopping my VX however I have had to modify my dreams and be a bit more realistic than a full targa.

My first point is just sit in your VX and look up. Not more than a few inches infront of your head is the top of the windsheild. Then lean your head back and look at where the door pillar meets the roof. Again this is only a few inches behind your head therefore you'd end up with a very slim targa.
Second to make things look right you have to chop the door frame and create a new window seal against the roof and door pillar. Not easy especially when you consider your roof edge seal will have to be part of your targa pannel.
Having owned 3 Targa top cars: Porsche 911, Toyota MR2 and Honda CRX and knowing the intricate sealing methods used I feel it would be virtually impossible to get a rain tight seal on a "do it yourself" one off basis. (Only the Honda managed to seal in any weather, the Porsche leaked at the mearest hint of moisture)

The options I am currently considering is:
1. A full soft top.
2. Removable pannel that extends beyond the rear door pillar.

In any case I will be removing the rear section as it's just begging for it. I'm currently butchering the Tamiya scale model to see how things would look as well as playing with Photoshop so in a while I'll have some pictures to post.
It's worth bearing in mind I am an engineer so there's every chance I'll trash my VX!!

Col

Raque Thomas
02/16/2005, 05:56 AM
BritVX,
Just saw an episode of "Pimp my Ride" where they took an older Blazer (early '90's) and re-did it. They added the best looking sunroof I've ever seen. It looked mike nearly the whole roof was glass, and the front approx 1/3 openned and slid back over the back part. It made for a lareger than average sunroof openning, and a VERY large glass top. Don't know what it cost, or who made it but it might be more doable alternative to bring in the great outdoors to your VX. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

BritVX
02/17/2005, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the idea, you've put me in mind of a sunroof that Peugoet fitted to 205's some years ago so I'm going to have a trawl of the scrap yards. It was a simple sliding glass pannel and I think I could adopt the whole thing.

Col