PDA

View Full Version : Kuhmo/Nitto/Pirelli which is quietest?

PeteVX
01/26/2005, 01:21 PM
So it looks like the most common tires available are the Kuhmo stx, Nitto NT or Pirelli scorpion zero all in 255/55/18 all around the $150 mark

I'm looking for something that rides quiet and has reasonable life and performance, 95% street, some snow.

No one seems to publish noise ratings, ayone have any thoughts?

I gotta buy something this weekend and dont know what to get.

Thanks

Pete

Cyrk
01/26/2005, 01:26 PM
Don't rule out the Toyo Proxes S/T Tires. I am running them in a 255/55/18 and they are a great performer!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_2_full.jpg

johnnyapollo
01/26/2005, 01:54 PM
My Pirelli's are louder than stock - how much I'm not sure. They also tend to track ruts in the road a bit but I think that's normal.

-- John

Cyrk
01/26/2005, 02:05 PM
Good point John mine do the same... but I also have 18x8 aftermarket rims.

Tone
01/26/2005, 02:24 PM
The bigger the voids (open area between the tread) the louder the tire. I assume these are all AT tires so they will ALL be louder than stock but should not be loud like a Bogger.

Joe_Black
01/26/2005, 05:44 PM
I'm running a new set of Kumho Ecsta STX in 255/55 18 and they're the quietest tires I've ever heard this side of slicks. Very, very nice tire with a solid competition background as well. $101 each at TireRack.

Tone
01/26/2005, 06:09 PM
Joe, I saw those too but am looking at them in 285/60/17 for $94 each - Scorpion Zeros (NOT the plain AT Scorps) are getting too hard to find, expensive, and have a short life - but they are STICKY! Looking forward to the Kuhmos with the tax refund next month.

TucsonVX
01/26/2005, 08:02 PM
I run Kumho Ecsta STX in 285/60/18 they are quite but this size give you a hard ride when your truck is lifted with heaver springs and the torsion bars crank up. Don't even think about using these tire in the snow or on ice you would be in a ditch or crashed into someone or something.

Heraclid
01/26/2005, 08:10 PM
From the bin of useless and entirely irrelevant information... Joe, I just happened across the fact that there's a Harry Potter character named Sirius Black, who had a flying motorcycle.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

TDUB
01/26/2005, 08:35 PM
I have the Kumho's and couldn't be happier. 275x17.
Chicks dig 'em.
Really though, great tires in most conditions.

tw

Ever since I saw those pix of Worm Gods vx next to the one with little tires and wheels I knew that a vx needs at least 275 's" to be cool.

LittleBeast
01/26/2005, 08:41 PM
31x10.70 Nitto terra grapplers (285/60 R18) They fit the stock rims, aren't loud, perform great, and look better than any tire out there!

Ldub
01/27/2005, 04:43 AM
Pete,

Tirerack.com has a good cross section of the market represented in their "off-road all terrain tire survey".Ck. the stats. on the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. The only downside's are price & the fact that they don't make them in 18" sizes for you guys w/ newer VX's. I'm getting Revo's mounted in a week or two (265 70 R16) & am anxious to see how well they do in snow.
Good luck in your search, Ldub

PeteVX
01/27/2005, 08:48 AM
So it sounds like the Pirelli's wear a little quicker and are a bit louder which relegates them down on the list.

The Kumho's are quiet but not so good on ice and snow which we usually get a bit of here in MN ..they sound like the favorite so far though

hmmm...

PeteVX
01/27/2005, 08:51 AM
Cyrk, how are the Toyo's for noise? also have you ever used them in snow?

I've just been informed that a tire place here has them on affer at 25% off right now.. I'm just about to call and get a price

Cyrk
01/27/2005, 09:10 AM
I believe they are a little nosier than stock... Never had them in the snow. But I think that they might not be that good considering they are a street tire.

t2p
01/27/2005, 09:13 AM
Pete:

Check out this tire:
http://www.mastercrafttire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=SUV&id=237&title=SUV+Tires
Mastercraft tires are manufactured by Cooper. The 255-55-18 Mastercraft Courser HTR Plus was a tad over $100 per tire - mounted and balanced .... including lifetime balancing and rotation. The tire looks good, rides and handles good/well, and is relatively quiet. The sidewalls are especially 'beefy' and have a raised area to protect the rim.
I have these installed on my VX.
btw: This tire is also available in 265-60-18. My VX was equipped with the 265-60's when I purchased it. I had them swapped for the 255-55's.

99vcross
01/27/2005, 10:13 AM
I have these on my vx and I think they are great, like I have said I live in the great state of ND, and I get around just fine with my toyos on my vx, but they are a little noiser then what I would like them to be.

Joe_Black
01/27/2005, 12:07 PM
Here's what you do: Get some inexpensive 16" alloy wheels from a Nissan pickup or Xterra (complete sets about $150) and throw a set of Winterforce (about $62 each) or similar tire on 'em. Those you use seasonally and then you can have the great street tires (Kumho etc.) for the rest of the year. All you need is a corner of your garage to stack 'em in when you're not using them.

I do this but for rally tires and it works great, especially since I can throw all four tire/wheels in the back with a floor jack and SCUBA tank/impact wrench setup.

Just my $.02! ;)

maxw
01/27/2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Guys,
I have the Toyo's and have previously had the Pirelli's. The Pirelli's I found to be pretty hopeless in the snow and were stiff and noisy. I was just relocated to Boston in time for the big storm we had and the Toyo's plowed ahead without any difficulty at all. The steering was responsive and nimble with minimal slippage. I have also found the Toyo's to ride softer and quieter than the Pirelli's I had.
Just my 2c worth.
Safe driving.
Max. :p

Tone
01/27/2005, 01:11 PM
Was seriously thinking about the KUMHO (<correct spelling) STXs but then found these that come in the exact size I am running in Zeros (275/55/17 - V rated), the Hankook ST RH06
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=Ventus+ST+RH06
Ine, are V rated AND have a 420 wear rating (the highest I have found in a SUV performance tire), are inexpensive like the Kumho and available in 16 and 18" sizes that we can use. Guess I need to see them both in person.

Offroad vx
01/27/2005, 02:54 PM
I don't know if Kuhmo's are the quietest but I will tell you that my boyfriend races offroad for Kuhmo and has never had a flat or hardly any extreme wear on his tires and he uses regular street ATs and MTs. With all the open wheel banging and torn off truck parts to run over, they are a tough tire. Before he raced for BF Goodrich and was dropping $125 per race per tire! So I'd give the thumbs up to Kuhmo. ( This is not an ad!)

TechnoPope
01/27/2005, 08:56 PM
The Kumho STX seem quiet (can't hear them over the PV2) and grip very well in dry and wet. Just for fun, I tried them a few weeks ago in the snow. I won't try it again. On another note, I posted a review of the Yoko Geolander 052s in another thread. They are a great performing four season tire that come big enough to look good on the VX.

jim.LR>AR
01/28/2005, 05:01 AM
kumho's here no increase in noise. Do track pretty bad in bad spots in the roads. We just got 6 inches of ice and snow they did ok. The road crews here SUCK . The salt here is more sand and it takes days to clean the streets off. The wider the tire the worse performance in the snow. I went any where I wanted to passed 20 cars in the ditches. There seems to be min. wear on them with 13000 miles. Worse thing is the tracking in the ruts next time I'll get skinner tires because I'm seldom off road.. They do look sweet . The other sday a fine ***** young lady came up and was hardly able to control herself after seeing them .....no not really , but they are sweet

PeteVX
02/03/2005, 07:18 AM
Ended up with Yokohaha Geolander 52's in 255/55/18 after finding the reviews section in i think it was tireracks website they had the best overall score on noise and snow/ice ratings in my price range. $668 installed.

So far i'm very impressed, they are definitely way quieter and smoother than the stock bridgestones, my driveway is all ice and snow at the moment and they get me up and down there much better too.

So, thanks everyone for the input, incidentally i did try the local Cooper tires dealer, they would not supply them as they were a different rating to what was called for for the VX, softer wall i think he said.

Pete