PDA

View Full Version : Gas!!!

grvcmike
03/03/2003, 08:06 PM
I am thinking of selling my VX, not that I want to, but the gas mileage is KILLING ME!!! I Put a K&N Cone filter on it and the hwy miles seem like its helping to get more mileage, but city traffic is a killer! sure 300 miles on a tank sounds pretty good, but not when your tank is 22.5 gallons! Thats 13 miles a gallon!!!! That SUCKS! Especially when it takes 30-35 $$ to fill it up!

Is there anyting else to modify the engine to get it to get beter mileage??? I did however drive 100 HWY miles on 1/4 tank of gas with the KN filter tahts pretty good i thought but in the city its like 55 miles on 1/4 tank HELP IF ANYONE CAN!

Tone
03/03/2003, 08:41 PM
Run max air pressure in your tires (see sidewall), avoid jackrabbit starts and abrupt stops, use synthetic fluids, get a better flowing muffler like a PowerVault, and avoid short trips. Welcome to the world of SUVs - be thankful you don’t own a Lamborghini!

skullcap
03/04/2003, 05:21 AM
When I purchased my 2000 VX, just a few months-ago, I had been thinking about a 6-cyl Jeep Wrangler. I wanted something "fun" to drive, but was reluctant to make the jump to a Jeep. Then I discovered Big Mike's VX at the neighborhood election precinct and I found salvation that rainy November day!

One of the first things I had to consider was gas mileage. Arguably, the gas is the greatest investment you'll make over the life of a vehicle. The VX does about the same on mpg as does a Jeep Wrangler. Honestly, I think that's where their comparison ends.

It really boils-down to CHOICE. I researched the VX enough to determine whether ownership would fit my lifestyle and my budget. (It's my primary ride, but I only commute 2-miles from the house to the transit station and even live on a city bus-line. So if petrol prices really "tank", I can always hop on the "loser cruiser" and give my VX a day off.)

Yeah, with fuel prices what they are right now, it definitely makes me THINK about adjusting my driving behavior. The upshot: if I drive just a little less, it spares the VX that much wear n' tear.

If you didn't think about fuel-efficiency when you got your VX, you either didn't need to or you've just learned a hard lesson about planning and budgeting. (I learned that lesson on an 8 mpg '71 Camaro when I was 19).

Triathlete
03/04/2003, 08:29 AM
With stock tires I averaged 20.3 mpg on the highway. I've been afraid to check now that I've gotten bigger tires! :goof: On a tank of gas city/hwy mix of driving I generally get 250 mpt in the dry, hot desert. Pretty good compared to the 8mpg in a Hummer!;eekb;

Navigator
03/04/2003, 10:15 AM
You may want to try one of the new gas/electric hybrids, like the Toyota prius. I hear they get awsome mileage. i would never buy one, but I do understand your point.

I am holding out for safe clean nuclear powered cars that require no refueling with horse power out the waazoo. I can dream :D

StormTROOPER
03/04/2003, 02:17 PM
I would MOVE closer to my work place than even think about selling me lil brute. :D

skullcap
03/04/2003, 02:35 PM
Of course the nice thing about all of these new fuel technologies coming around the bend, they'll leave plenty of gas for me and my lil' guzzler.

I know, I know, I'm an ecologist for cryin' out loud! SO how can I take this tack, you may ask? Simple. I believe in recycling all of that wonderful carbon mother nature locked-up around 200 million years ago. Besides, I live in the city just 4-miles from the office, use transit, and NEVER subject my nerves or my beastie to rush-hour stop n' go driving. So, for me there was little trade-off getting into my VX, after a '93 Nissan Pathfinder SE that got 22 mpg on a good day.

BTW I kept the Pathfinder. With 191k rode-hard miles, it wasn't worth trading. Besides, I can - and will - haul more manure in the Pathfinder than I would ever with the VX. So, unless the economy tanks any worse, a pickum-up truck will be in my sights in another couple of years. Hmm, what would look good parked next to my VX?

hitnrun74
03/04/2003, 07:33 PM
My Nissan Frontier crew cab, with offroad package looks great next to mine! Can't be without a pick-up truck! Go for the long bed though. Frontier's got the biggest bed in it's class.

xdfarrx
03/04/2003, 07:37 PM
Follow Tone's suggestion- I rocked all Mobil 1 synthetics A to Z. I had to do it in 2 steps. I must say the biggest differrence was in the diiferantials(don't forget the additaive in the rear), I noticably got better rolling resistance. Tranny, transfer case,+ and I suggest Mobil 1 0w-30 syn, which is rated as an enhanced fuel formula. Amsoil makes really good engine syn as well-What is the arithmatic on it?? well, I haven't done the full data thing but I have noticed a difference, and the soft foot on an easily heavy pedal helps as well. and lastly my ex wife is here from Norway and she laughs at how all sensitive we are about paying 2 dollars per gallon. Last I was there we were dropping 4$ per liter!!! and they produce lots of the stuff up there, so talk about rubbing it in. Good luck and hang in there. Everyone is feeling it plus-I try to not be judgemantal but going from a VX to a prius is what it is-

Baxman
03/05/2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
My gas mileage has been bad and getting worse. :mad: You changed your 18s to 16s. Did you get larger than stock diameter tires? If so, your speedo and odo are under-reading, so your mileage may be better than you think.

xdfarrx
03/08/2003, 07:23 PM
Fuel filter is pretty basic to replace, you might do it yourself if you are into it... or ask for the old one when you take it in, to verify replacement. As for the tornado, I got one, discounted for 40 bucks. I think it doesn;t really help. I just had my injector system cleaned which seemed to help. I also ponied up for an exhaust system (Sebring straight through w/ 3" stainless) for 250$ @ Kartek in LA and that helped also. Kind of loud but better performance and most importantly better MPG. I ditched my Calmini and got a K&N cone which I think works better and also had to mod the bracket cause the Calmini one was not spec'd right. Good luck, hope you get it figured.

TDAWG
03/09/2003, 06:19 AM
I am not a mechanic spec but I do believe, please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Altitude and Elavation play a big part of how gas consumtion? I always thought that a persons driving habits also dictate fuel consumption as well? Their are so many factors to consider in the fuel consumption of any vehicle in our might VX. That's (IMO) then again I could be wrong.

Moncha
03/09/2003, 06:43 AM
I always say, "Take a tech with you when you have driveablity, noise, rattles or any other difficult to track problem". This will help avoid multiple trips to the dealer.
The denial of of the other problem nees to be taken to a rep if they don't comply..

xdfarrx
03/09/2003, 11:48 AM
Definitely- Contact the rep or another dealer. That sounds whack. Hope it all works out for you. The seat things sounds crazy!?