PDA

View Full Version : My CAT blew up.

Doc4h
01/25/2005, 08:52 PM
My poor VX has been in the shop now for about 2 weeks all because my CAT fell apart internally and was blocking my exhaust flow when giving it gas. Not to mention the horrible noises it was making when doing so. When it happened I thought my engine was done (about 54000 miles) had it towed and now I have been waiting for parts. Has anyone else had this happen or know of it happening? Also is it normal for it to take so long to get parts from ISUZU as this is my first time. A friend of mine just had some trany problems on a new Trooper and he waited about 3 weeks for his car. On the bright side it's not the engine and it's covered by my extended warranty. Any input would be great.

mbeach
01/25/2005, 09:12 PM
I have seen this happen before, it is usually the result of some physical damage to the catalytic convertor, but can also be caused by an improper air/fuel mix over time. Either way, it results in the elements (often a "honeycomb" ) falling apart within the convertor and restricting flow. Expect some debris to have made it's way into your muffler as well.

Doc4h
01/25/2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the tip I will make sure to look for any debri. :cool:

Tone
01/25/2005, 09:22 PM
I have had one replaced under warranty and had to have the downstream O2 sensor replaced as well since debris took it out. Only took a day to get the cat. If you doubt parts availabilty, Merlin will be happy to look up any part for you and tell you where they are - he has tracked some parts for me that are on a ship right now from Japan.

Doc4h
01/25/2005, 09:25 PM
Hey Tone thanks I will first thing tomorrow, today well you know what I mean.

Triathlete
01/25/2005, 09:44 PM
Just my .02!
Never put your CAT in the microwave to dry it. It makes quite a mess! :p

thebear54
01/26/2005, 04:13 AM
LOL...that's the first thing I thought of too when I read the post...Cat, microwave=POOF :p
John

Doc4h
01/26/2005, 08:25 AM
Listen you can't prove anything... :eek: :)