PDA

View Full Version : Gauging intrest in powerdyne super charger kit

morgan-tec
01/21/2005, 08:35 PM
For those of you who do not know, i am in the process of developing a super charger kit for my Axiom. I will be using a Powerdyne blower head and custom brackets made by me. I have been in contact with someone at Powerdyne and they want to support my kit if i get good results. I want to design this kit to work on all 3.5L and 3.2L Isuzu engines. This means Axioms, VXs, Rodeos, and Troopers. When i am finished with the prototype i would like to install it on a local VX to make sure of fitment and any changes i would need to make. Want i want to know is, is there anyone in the Ft, Collins, Co area that would be willing to prticipate in the VX fitment part of the development? If so and the person was intrested i would be willing to give him/her a really good discount on the kit. I do not have a price yet because i am not sure how much the blowers are going to cost nor the brackets yet. I am planning on a 5-6psi kit with an instll time of three to four hrs. This would also be completly removable to .....say.... have any warrenty work done that your car may require for any reason. If this is a go i would also be willing to do a group buy or a discount for forum members. So if you would be intrested post here, as well if you are close to me and want to help me out with your VX. Thanks for your time.

Mike

MZ-N10
01/21/2005, 09:06 PM
im interested but...it would be nice to have a price range..... :)
________
Zoloft Settlements (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

kpaske
01/21/2005, 10:29 PM
A supercharger is top on my list of future mods. I am anxiously awaiting results of your project. I would consider being your test guinea pig, but I guess I'm a bit too far (Washington).

Dallas4u
01/21/2005, 10:38 PM
Mmmmmm... competition. :)

morgan-tec
01/22/2005, 08:37 AM
Well honestly the cost completly depends on the deal powerdyne will give me on the blower heads. The BD-11A head retails for aomewhere around 2K new so i would expect the kit to be around $2500 or so but that is a rough estimate. I will keep you all posted as to the progress when i really get going on it.

nater
01/24/2005, 06:57 PM
I'm in for a fitment. I live really close (Longmont) and rarely use my Trooper, so it could stay in pieces offsite for days (weeks?) at a time.

Downside, it's a Trooper, not a VX. :-(

Let me know.

Nate

morgan-tec
01/24/2005, 08:13 PM
Thats cool,i will definatly take you up on that. I want to make this universaul kit that will fit the troopers as well so i will be in touch when i get the prototype done.

volume311
01/24/2005, 08:19 PM
I always wondered why someone didn't come up with a design to use a supercharger like that.All you need is a bracket to hold the blower, and no need to pull the manifold and such.What do I know, probably a little more complicated than that and the spacing might be tight on the front of the engine though.Good luck.

driver3
01/24/2005, 08:24 PM
I'm in the springs...

Tone
01/25/2005, 06:16 AM
Not to be a naysayer but I prototyped this same idea several years ago with a Porsche mechanic until it became apparent that the Alpine kit offered more low end power and was cheaper. It is removeable as well and has a long history behind it in production use - no manufacturer offers a centrifugal blower on a production vehicle. Jay and Kirk here in Austin helped fund the project and we all lost money in the end after testing one on the dyno, track and street - the get up and go that you feel in your pants was lacking until much higher on the power curve. I was anti-Alpine up to that point and then saw the light!

Then there is the incredibly tight engine compartment - look under the hood and see if you can identify ANY place to attach it? The front of the VX engine packed with stuff. I was unable to find any satisfactory place to attach the tiny Vortec unit I had chosen but Morgan is better with metal than I am.

morgan-tec
01/25/2005, 04:42 PM
Well i have room in my axiom and in the trooper i looked at, mine will go pretty much where the stock air box was. I will say that my mounting bracket is a little different than most kits but i think it will work well. I do have my stock fan removed but i want to make it so you can install it on a stock engine. I do understand the pros and cons of a centrifugal kit vs a roots style. But the aftermarket blower market is almost split in half between the two styles. This kit will come on little later than the alpine but thats okay with me. If this works it will be listed on the powerdyne application list marketed by me so i am getting pretty pumped about it.

nater
01/28/2005, 09:52 AM
morgan-tec, sorry for my ignorance, but I just realized that the kit you are working on is a centrifugal blower; I am only interested in buying (owning) a roots style or a twin-screw.

If you still want to mess around with my Trooper for fitment you are welcome to do so, but I can't commit to buying a kit from you.

By the way, I have a reasonable shop in my garage. Garage is attached and insulated (pretty warm in winter, cool in summer) I have compressed air on a hose reel on the ceiling and a full selection of tools (Mac, Snap-On, Craftsman), (air and hand tools). I also have a floor jack and jack stands. I do NOT have a welder, cutting torch or parts washer so keep that in mind.

Maybe your place is better?

Let me know what you decide; if you'd rather work with someone who wants to keep their supercharger on their Trooper, I understand.

Nate

MrCrowley
01/28/2005, 10:01 AM
On the plus side, the centrifugal blower will allow the use of the stock intake and therefore utilize the dual intake. This can offset the low/high rpm difference. :confused: Only data will tell...

volume311
08/30/2005, 08:44 PM
So did anything ever come of this?

morgan-tec
08/31/2005, 05:53 PM
I am still working on this but it was put on the back burner a while ago. I plan to get it going again and finish this fall. Sorry for the delay but i have been insanely busy.

transio
08/31/2005, 09:35 PM
What I'd like to see is if someone can get forged internals developed for our block! :p

morgan-tec
09/02/2005, 09:33 PM
That would be nice but then the next mod would be a new tranny since ours is crap.

MachineVX
09/03/2005, 09:26 AM
Have you figured out how you're going to manage the fuel?

morgan-tec
09/03/2005, 12:21 PM
Stock wil handle 5-6psi but i am thinking of stepping to larger injectors and probibly a custom reflashed ecu.

Tone
09/03/2005, 03:20 PM
Our 6 bolt main engine can easily handle 10-15psi WITHOUT new injectors or any internal changes (<which NO ONE here would pay for anyway)- ECU change though is mandatory as is a way to beef up the tranny. I have recently heard of 'performance' internals for our 4L30E but have not followed up on it. I'll tr and get more info and post.

Nazrat
09/03/2005, 03:32 PM
One thing to look into is the A340H series transmission that is used in the latest Axiom/Rodeos. They are much stronger and in the Axiom they have TOD as well.

-Tad

deton8r
09/03/2005, 11:05 PM
Is there anybody who does ECU programming for the Isuzus? I talked to somebody at Alpine (John I think) that was willing to do a UNIChip for me but I'd have to drive to CA which isn't very cost effective since I'm up in WA. He thought UNIChip would do it which is located close to Portland OR but they claim to be only a manufacturing facility. Any ideas?

MachineVX
09/04/2005, 06:42 AM
Not to highjack the thread, but I would love more power from the supercharger and would easily be ivery nterested in running more boost

morgan-tec
09/05/2005, 10:18 AM
WEll for right now i think i am just going to try for 5-6psi but i plan on pushing the 10psi mark on my Axiom. I am well aware that the 19lb injectors we have will handle that much boost but the ecu will not let them. I have talked to a local speed shop that does a lot of custom reflashes on Audis and he thinks we may be able to work something out. But i need to get the kit done first....... if only i could figure out how to add hours to the day i would get a lot more done....

spawn1980
09/08/2005, 11:25 AM
-Morgan-tec-
I heard you've done great things to your axiom I have a problem with mine I want to switch out the stereo and put in a Pioneer Avic-N1 Please tell me you have some good news in how to do that.

spawn1980
09/08/2005, 06:29 PM
Never mind I saw the pictures NUFF SAID Great Job.

morgan-tec
09/08/2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks spawn, hit me up if yu have any ?s, your new HU will require a custom mounting bracket as well as relocating the stock hu