PDA

View Full Version : Fix damaged hood?

billh23
01/20/2005, 11:14 AM
I was in a fender bender accident a while back and the result was the person in front of me backed into my front end damaging the edge of hood. Its dented and is starting to rust where the dent is. I took it into a body shop, and they didn't want to fix it because of how thin the metal is on the end of the hood, they were worried that the repair work would crack out quickly.

My question is, does anyone make replacement metal for the VX? Can I buy a 3rd party hood anywere and have a body shop spray it (its Kaiser silver). I've looked at all the usual salavage yard websites, and haven't seen one come in for quite a while.

Any suggestions?? The carbon fiber hood looks like a good solution at $400 + shipping (if you can still get the 30% off) but I'm not sure I want a 20lb flat black hood....

thebear54
01/20/2005, 07:05 PM
How many body shops did you go to for an estimate? There has to be someone out there who is willing to do the work right. It sounds like your shop just did not want to deal with a small job.
Carbon fiber would be the easy way to go but the original metal is still the best way. Check the salvage yards...you never know. Good luck.
John