PDA

View Full Version : How many supercharged VX's are there?

MachineVX
01/20/2005, 07:23 AM
How many supercharged VX's out there? Supercharged Isuzu's? If there's enough of us, maybe we can convince Alpine Developments to get that stage II kit developed . . .

Cyrk
01/20/2005, 07:32 AM
Mine is SC... MachineVX they offer a 5psi pulley, I have that installed not sure if you have that or not. But I would love a Stage 2 upgrade... but I know we are taxing out the tranny already with this much HP. I believe that 285hp is about what the transmission can handle. We need a ECU upgrade for better fuel maps and such also.

-Dave

Tone
01/20/2005, 09:09 AM
I've sold over 50 kits and it is unlikely that Alpine will produce a Stage II kit anytime in the near future. Featherfoot had been working on a better alternative that could actually be better and safer than a Stage II kit.

The 4L30E is technically a light duty transmission and has historically been used in vehicles with less HP and torque (<3.0L) than ours (Catera 192lb.-ft, small BMWs. etc) and is rated at a maximum of 258lb.-ft if I recall (GM no longer lists it on their site) and we are at or above that with a 5 PSI kit.

I have not been able to find anyone who can beef up the 4L30E so unless you are wiling to perform a tranny transplant, I would not be concerned with a Stage II kit - Stage I is still a LOT of fun, the way the VX should have shipped from the factory while maintaining reliability.

FeatherFoot
01/20/2005, 09:33 AM
I have just gotten word that Comp Cams has bought all of the electrical components from Street & Performance Electronics and I have not been able to establish a point of contact with them.

Until I do our tuner is in limbo (that translate to in the toilet).

Sorry!!

FF

mbeach
01/20/2005, 09:34 AM
I would like to know the answer to this as well.
I've been debating the SC vs. Aurora engine swap for a few days.
Still limited by the 4L30E trans...

VXtreme
01/20/2005, 12:45 PM
My '99 VX has the Alpine S/C with the 5 PSI pulley installed. Love it!!! Only had one glitch with the S/C, had to have it overhauled by Magnuson. Took the needle bearings out on the rotors. They rebuilt the S/C (everything except the housings) and no problems since. Actually seems to run better since the rebuild.

Cyrk
01/20/2005, 12:47 PM
VXtreme, where ya been? Where are the intake pics?

Green Dragon
01/20/2005, 02:37 PM
My '99 VX has the Alpine S/C with the 5 PSI pulley installed. Love it!!! Only had one glitch with the S/C, had to have it overhauled by Magnuson. Took the needle bearings out on the rotors. They rebuilt the S/C (everything except the housings) and no problems since. Actually seems to run better since the rebuild.

How much for the rebuild????

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/20/2005, 06:11 PM
SC'd here as well in cold & snowy Northwestern Pennsylvania! Going down to 5 deg tonight...brrrrrrr.

I drove the VX the other morning (5 a.m.) when it was 6 deg & snowing and it started and ran fine with "Jayfotos carbon-fiber & aluminum intake tube with cone filter" setup.

jayfotos
01/20/2005, 09:50 PM
Not to start crap but if Alpine is involved, I'll pass.

MZ-N10
01/20/2005, 09:59 PM
we can always wait for morgan-tec(sp?) for his sc
________
The Legend Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

VXtreme
01/21/2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry Cyrk. I've been traveling quite a bit with national and divisional meetings for my company the past couple of months. This is in addition to my normal travels all over North America and Mexico. I can take a breath now.

As far as the intake......I will send pictures once I reinstall it. I removed the cold air intake during the cold winter months here. The VX seems to like the stock intake better in the cold weather. It will be back on in the Spring. I also changed the air filter to a K&N instead of the Calmini I was running. I wasn't real confident with the Calamini and think it could have contributed to the bearing failure by not doing a real good filtering job.

Green Dragon......the rebuild was $300. It would have normally been somewhere between $600 - $900. Jerry Magnuson got involved after Tone and I spoke to him. Jerry agreed to just charge me $300. The S/C was only 2 months out of warranty, so I guess it was more or less a good will gesture on their behalf. I was happy with the outcome.

Cyrk....I was wondering which type of oil pressure (mechanical or electric) and air/fuel mixture guages you are running on your VX? I am gong to install a 3 guage A-pillar pod instead of the single guage pod and put in the other 2 guages. I will just transplant the boost guage into the pod. The boost guage is a AutoMeter CarbonFiber guage. I am going to use the same type for the other 2 guages. Let me know.

Cyrk
01/21/2005, 01:07 PM
I am running all Autometer CF gauges, Air/Fuel, Boost/VAC, Water Temp, Volts and Oil Pressure which is an electric oil pressure gauge. If memory serves me.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_6_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_27_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_9_full.jpg