PDA

View Full Version : Van eyes?

Offroad vx
01/19/2005, 07:48 PM
I'm not real used to the limited rear visability and have read some things about "Vaneyes" at Pep Boys. What the heck are they and do I need them and where do they attach? I don't have a Pep Boys here and none of the auto parts stores here have heard of them. Thanks! :p

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/19/2005, 08:25 PM
Van Eyes is the name of a product that is often referred to as a "Fish Eye Lens". It can be found at auto parts retailers (Pep Boys, etc..). I personally bought mine at an R.V. Dealer (motorhomes, RV's, Campers, Trailers, etc..).

R.V.'s such as motorhomes are notorious for having bad visibility out the back so many put a "fish-eye lens" that lets you see out the rear window in a downward view.

In short..putting one in your rear window of the VX allows you to see out and down over the spare tire "hump". This allows cars that couldn't be seen before to be seen in the lens. Makes backing up much easier too.

I cut mine so that it fits neatly over the hump. See this pic in my gallery. From that you can make out the lens in my back window.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2062/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

psychos2
01/19/2005, 10:08 PM
i have learned to use the side mirrors when backing up. you can see a lot with them. shawn

geshaw30
01/20/2005, 10:38 AM
Check the ???search??? and you will able to find link(s) to the issue and (if it???s still there) schematics on how to cut them successfully into a ???crescent moon??? shape to fit over the tire well.

I???ve had mine on for years and it???s an inexpensive way to keep from yelling ???*^*$%^)#%] ??? when you try and take that extra inch in backing up. The hard part will be finding them. If I remember correctly the last time this issue was brought up there were some questions as to availability.
________
Amateur xxx tube (http://www.****tube.com/)

thebear54
01/21/2005, 06:08 PM
I went with the convex add on mini mirrors on the outside rearviews. They added a lot of vision but not to the center rear. I found taking the headrests off helps a lot too(thinking about mounting a set of Rodeo headrests instead of the stock ones.At least they have holes in the centers). The best solution,not the cheapest, is the rear camera.
John