PDA

View Full Version : PIAA 550 and deno3

GOVEHIX
01/19/2005, 04:03 PM
Questions: i just bought a set of PIAA 550 fog lamp and is wondering can i install it myself without going to the autoshops. any one here ever install foglamps themselves?? if anyone does, can someone show me the instructions with images step by step (if any)? thank you.

also, i saw the new PIAA deno3 LED lamp on ebay, do you think it's possible to get it on the VXs? it should look kool with them on~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7947372500&category=33713&sspagename=WDVW

mbeach
01/19/2005, 07:54 PM
I owned a set of FF550s many years ago.
They were a top-notch kit that came with everything that you will need.

I do not know the limits of your mechanical/electrical ability, so to say whether or not you could do the install yourself would be a mistake.
Can you change a (vehicle) lightbulb? Fuse? Install a radio? If you answered yes to these questions, you most likely have the ability to install these lights yourself.

The most difficult part is mounting the switch, and that really depends on how creative you want to be.

GOVEHIX
01/20/2005, 02:27 AM
The most difficult part is mounting the switch, and that really depends on how creative you want to be.

what do you mean it depends on how creative you want to be? and did you install it yourself?
if i go to the autoshops, can you give me an estimate price of the installation fee?

mbeach
01/20/2005, 05:05 AM
Many of these switches come in their own panel, mounting is limited to screwing it to the bottom edge of the dash. Sometimes, you may want to cut a hole (round or square) in your dash to mount the switch for a cleaner look. Slightly difficult, and can get hairy if you're clumsy.
Lastly, you may want to use an OEM switch. This means that you must find it and decode the pins on the back to make it work. This option allows for the cleanest looks, and is most often what I go for.

I'd installed literally dozens of driving lights, as well as lift kits, exhausts, clutches, trannys, motors, you pretty much name it. I've built full out race cars and monster street cars. I've also owned some junk, and ruined my share of vehicles as well.
I have no formal automotive education. I just had a lot of Legos growing up.

If you want to give it a try, go ahead and read all 2 pages of the instructions and make an attempt. You really can't ruin anything unless you attempt to cut the dash.
Some shops will discount an install if you buy the lights there -I've never paid anyone to install anything so I have no idea how much these things cost.