PDA

View Full Version : Calmini Parts Good or Bad??

NJVX
01/18/2005, 02:59 PM
Hey I was thinking about purchasing the 3 inch lift that Calmini sells for $489.00. Does anyone have an opinion on their parts. I have purchased a couple things in the past from them without any problems. So I just wanted to see if anyone on here has gotten anything for their VX?

Dean

Maugan_VX
01/18/2005, 03:28 PM
I'm not going to tell you to not go with calimini, but just so you know, the existence of Joe Darlington's and independent4x.com sites are due to customers being fed up with dealing with calmini.

Personally, I'd go with Joe.(http://www.darlington-offroad.com/) He's a stand-up guy and will do you right.

Joe_Black
01/18/2005, 03:47 PM
Back in the ITOG (Isuzu Trooper Owners Guild) days Calmini was about the only show in town. Their quality was a mixed bag, some stuff good, some stuff needed improvement. As Maugan said, Darlington and Independant came into existence due to an opportunity to do a better job. Much like StinkyFab is coming into the Isuzu scene as well.

Hopefully those who have specific experience with the Calmini lift will chime in on this thread, but you may also want to get the opinions of the Isuzu folk over at the PlanetIsuzoo forums as there's a lot of installed Calmini lifts there.

NJVX
01/18/2005, 09:22 PM
Hey Thanks for the info. I will check into it some more. I have heard something about a ball joint drop or switch. I have to check into that also.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/19/2005, 01:59 AM
Early on there was a spring sag problem, which according to them, was fixed.

NJVX
01/19/2005, 02:02 PM
I put their torsion bars on my pickup and they haven't sagged yet, and its been over 6 years...So I am hoping that their stuff is better than it was back then....

kpaske
01/19/2005, 06:29 PM
Back when I did my lift about 2 years ago, I researched the various methods including the Calmini kit and came to the conclusion that it could be done better, for less money, with a set of OME912 Trooper Springs, longer shocks in the rear, and cranking the torsion bars. There is a howto on my website (and also posted elsewhere on this site) that describes step by step how to do it. I haven't done the ball joint flip, but I plan to. It would be best to do all of this at one time.

NJVX
01/19/2005, 06:46 PM
Yea that seems to be the way people are leaning towards doing the lift. with the 912 springs and all. It does seem to be alot cheaper. Do the larger tires stick out at all. NJ has some strict inspection laws about that??

jayfotos
01/19/2005, 07:32 PM
I bought Darlington's steel break lines, nice set.....but it seemed someone peed on the package(the bag that it came in was sticky and smelled like pee).

What can I say.... :rolleyes: