PDA

View Full Version : Would you do buy your VX over again?

kach22i
01/15/2005, 07:15 AM
Hello all, I am thinking about purchasing a VX (again).

I've been learking around and reading some of your threads on and off for about a year now. Actually, I wanted a VX when they first came out, but $30,000 was way too much for my life style a mear 5,000 miles driven a year (I walk to work as much as I can).

Just a year or two ago, most VX's were $15,000 for a high milage car, average was it seems about $20,000.

This year I see a bunch of VX's for $10,000 most are well under $14,000. Now were are getting in my price range.

My current ride is on it's last legs 14-1/2 years old and rusting, bought it new; a 1990 Geo Tracker - black with a fastback style fabric top by K-Line which makes it a sporty two seater. I bought this car because it was the cheepest convertible out there, no power nothing - simple and very truck-like but small and fun/peppy.

About 1-1/2 years ago I bought a summer car, an old Porsche (28 years old) a 1977 silver Targa 2.7l CIS with phone dial wheels. It's been a blast to drive despite high repair bills and a couple of oil leaks to contend with.

Do I have regrets? Sure I do, and each car is far from perfect even on a good day. However the question remains.........Would I buy them over again? YES!

The Porsche is a money pit, similar in ways to the VX, many problems but worth it just the same. The Tracker - got my money's worth 10X over, she needs to be put to pasture though.

If I buy a VX, and get a pre-purchase inspection is there anyway to know if it needs: engine rod bearings, wheel bearings, intake gasket (rough idle if already bad, right?), power window guides or any of the other common issues? what else should I be looking for?

What good advice can you give me?

Do you say to me: Run, don't walk........or welcome to the club?

PS: I would be using the VX as my Michigan winter ride, and to tow a small light weight hovercraft on a 8' x 12' snowmobile trailer - total package less than 1,000 lbs.

johnnyapollo
01/15/2005, 07:52 AM
If you are into the VX and can now reasonably afford one, I would say "Welcome to the Club!" I most definitely would buy a VX again - I keep thinking about buying a second one.

I think you have most of the things you should consider covered in your list above - you may want to look at the shocks and check to see how much and what mods have been done (intake, exhaust) then factor in any features like roof racks, hitch, etc.

-- Best, John

ThunderChicken
01/15/2005, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I would buy one again. My wife wants a second one as we speak. She thought it was one of the uglest cars on the road but now she is convinced that is is not only one of the most unique but one of the most safest cars out there.

The stares alone make it worth owning one. We have a 99 Ironman and folks down here thinks it's a brand spanking new one.

transio
01/15/2005, 09:12 AM
I'd buy one again :)

Dallas4u
01/15/2005, 09:30 AM
From someone who had one and sold it... I'd buy one again (at some point). :yes:

kach22i
01/15/2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input, I see the same kind of love for the VX that Porsche owners show.......that means a lot.

I have a question about handling. Entry ramps to the highway; from what I've read, the VX has pleantly of power for accleration - but keep thinking that because of the high center of gravity is it ill-advised to take entry and exit ramps fast, right?

One one thing I hate about the Tracker, is one of the things I love about the Porsche; entry ramps.

I'm guessing that the VX is somewhere in-between. That is to say, take the turn slow but you have the power to "power out" of it. The Tracker has to go in slow, and it comes out slow too - not a good combination for all of the aggressive driving going on these days.

kach22i
01/15/2005, 12:34 PM
Here are some pictures of my current rides. Some people don't know that the Tracker is almost 15 years old.

The Porsche always gets a complement despite flaws in paint (scratches - former owner had a dog).

link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gkachadoorian/album?.dir=/c7e4&urlhint=actn,del%3as,9%3af,0

Cobrajet
01/15/2005, 04:57 PM
I have a question about handling. Entry ramps to the highway; from what I've read, the VX has plently of power for accleration - but keep thinking that because of the high center of gravity is it ill-advised to take entry and exit ramps fast, right?
It's no Porsche, but it can be run pretty hard up and down those entry/exit ramps. I do it every day! Go for it!

I have yet to find a vehicle that can replace my VX. All of the new poseurs have four doors. I don't think I've ever owned a four door, except when I was stationed overseas. I'd consider the STi, Evo, FX-45 and others, but they ALL have four doors. There are a few AWD coupes, but most are too expensive, too cheap, too boring, or too common. How about something like the Mitsu 3000 GT VR4? There's nothing quite like the VehiCROSS!

crager34
01/15/2005, 06:15 PM
Was in an accident, VX was totaled... within 2 months... had another one. :D

thebear54
01/15/2005, 06:23 PM
Not only YES.....BUT HELL YES!!! If I had to do it all over again I would not even think twice about it specially knowing what I know now aboutthe VX. :hat:
Go for it....You only live once...enjoy!
John

NJVX
01/16/2005, 09:57 AM
Well I have had mine for over a year now. And knock on wood. TROUBLE FREE NOT ONE PROBLEM. And yes I still smile everytime I look at it, think about it, or drive it. I have even tried to buy a second one. Yes could have simply said yes I would buy one again, but once you have one, you just want to talk about it....BUY ONE YOU'LL LOVE IT...

Dean

drdavidr4u
01/17/2005, 12:12 PM
YES!!!!

MAYBE TWO !!!!

One for winter tires and one for summer tires!

Decorate the sunmmer one as a street racer and the winter one as a military/space beast!!!

When there are no more VX's around I hope somethiong just as cool will be available!!!

SO MY ANSWER IS YES....I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!

V-Twin hiCROSS
01/17/2005, 02:18 PM
Oh, heck yeah I would buy another one!!! And as for the entrance/exit ramps, I am the idiot you see flying in around 80 MPH. This thing handles like it is on rails. I have never felt as though it might flip or lose control. It handles better than most (of course not the all-out sports cars) vehicles. It will be the best transportation investment of your life. Like several others have said, I am considring buying another just to save as a replacement.

vxgas
01/17/2005, 04:40 PM
I would defidently buy another one in fact I wish that I had one in every color but I can't afford that. My wife loves it even though she was skeptical at first. Everyone at work thinks it is a brand new car and they all want one. I also say all the time that I am going to be buried in my VX. I take on and off ramps at 55 all day long and my ride is completly stock.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/18/2005, 01:01 AM
Add me to the totalled list. Got my 2nd vx within 1 month. Didn't even wait for the ins. settlement. Both owned outright.

Navigator
01/18/2005, 04:35 AM
:rotate: PSYC :rotate:

Great vehicle, I would buy it again, and I plan to keep it running as good as new until I can pass it on to my son someday, perhaps in 2020. I've seen some old ISUZU's on the road, so there is a very good chance. For now I'm just keeping the mileage low, and the maintenance current.

MachineVX
01/18/2005, 06:57 AM
I'm very happy with the VX and love it even more with the SC. I like having the size of the small SUV for family stuff, and it's a fun daily driver, even without the SC. And you don't see yourself coming and going. Also, the community here is wonderful.

Maverick
01/19/2005, 06:47 AM
without a doubt, id buy one again ... despite the "issues" ive had, its one heck of a truck. The thing that attracted it to me the most, is that it is indeed very "porsche like." Infact, i think its the truck Porsche "should have made" instead of the cayanne. it simply does everything well, a very rare thing with suv's, and more typical of german engineering than japanese imho....And its the only truck out there that truly fits my taste and requirements..i find most suv's bland and booring.. but i always enjoy driving the vx.. :D

ISCE
01/19/2005, 08:47 AM
Here in MD we are getting our first real snow for the year. I can't wait to get out and play in it, I am hoping for 7", but will probably only get 1". I have to travel to WI next week for work, and they always give me an Explorer 4x4 or bigger, Expedition, and sometimes even Excursion. I have driven all of these on the WI snowy roads and the VX beats them hands down.

For the road - still handles almost as well as my old Talon. And you NEVER see another one. The VX still brings daily stares and gawking, and never fails to produce a smile on my face for my daily commute. In fact, my son just turned 13, and am trying to figure out how to buy another one for him... I mean, he will be 16 in 3 more years, right?! :)

Best vehicle I've ever owned. You won't be sorry.

Jay

cascabel3
01/19/2005, 03:01 PM
Got mine three months ago. I still vibrate just thinking about driving her. Even now, I find myself sitting in my garage for an hour at a time just looking at the VX. I drive a bit of mountain roads, have yet to make her squeek. I have driven Mercedeses, and just like them the VX feels like steel on the road.

What a car :p

marximus
01/19/2005, 10:57 PM
i havent lost my VX (knock on wood), but i had a nightmare recently:), and in the dream my VX caught fire while parked, for whatever reason(dreams are hazzy). in my dream, i bought another one right away. :) i woke up and was so releaved it wasnt burnt down that i drove it all day. i love this vehicle, and would definately buy it again. ;)
mark-

Heraclid
01/20/2005, 06:19 PM
ABSO-FRIGGIN'-LUTELY! :-)

Exit ramps are no sweat in a VX. This as stable an SUV as there is. That's not to say you can go nuts, because anything will roll if pushed hard enough. That said, I don't tap the brakes through the curvy stuff - I press the gas pedal.

Anyone like me who rallycrosses one of these little beasts can vouch for how well-mannered it is out there in the rough stuff. Ask someone who has had one on a tight and twisty asphalt track with the tires chirping like crazy (like me). I have pushed it pretty hard and I have not yet asked for more than it can give. I used to drive a sports coupe, and while I baby the VX a bit more, I can drive it every bit as spiritedly if I want to. Indeed, the fun quotient has gone way up. It performs very well in many different situations on and off the beaten path.

On a side note, my Dad had parts for a metal building delivered and the trucks tore the heck out of the backyard. One truck got stuck. The tow truck there to help it got stuck, so they needed another one. I drove right through that muck back then. Well, Dad just had the metal building built, and they tore the heck out of the backyard WAY worse this time with a big ol' glorified forklift. HUGE, DEEP wet muddy ruts you can just barely straddle with the VX. It looked like it would be a rough ride just because of the dips, let alone getting stuck. My Dad said I would definitely get stuck. He'd been watching all the workers get stuck. The glorified forklift with the perfect monster tires for it had gotten stuck once. Well ya know I just had to do it then. :-) Heck, I criss-crossed through that stuff 4 or 5 times, taking a more difficult-looking line every time. I started doing everything that I thought I shouldn't do. Damn, that was easy - it really surprised me. Not sure why, because after going up the slickest of muddy hills at Uwharrie (it was probably just about impossible to walk up those) and crossing the mudholes of Ocala, I guess I should have been more confident. Assuming Dad hasn't flattened it all out by now, I'll try to get pics. Of course now, it's much drier now than it was then.

RitchieDon
01/20/2005, 07:05 PM
Buy a VX! Among all of the favorite vehicles I have owned, a '58 Mercedes Limosine (lots of luxury & attention getter), '70 Cougar (girl catcher & lots of pavement pounding power; caught the girl), '76 Dodge RamCharger (massive 4X4 power), and a '73 Lotus Europa (super speed, handling & girl catcher; got slapped for that one, Cougar girl is now my wife!). My VX rolls all of these vehicles into one. I'm going to drive this one until the pistons hit the pavement & then I'm going to buy another one. It is undoubtly the best, most versatile, fun to drive & functional vehicle I have ever owned. Don